The Student Room Group

Acid reflux & throat inflammation?

Since a couple months or so my throat feels really really tight. It feels like 100 rubber bands are circled around my throat. Doc has prescribed me some omeprazole tablets which I will start in a couple days.

Has anyone else had this? The sense of tightness/strangling doesn't go away. I also have asthma/hayfever so I tend to have respiratory issues I guess.

Should omeprazole clear this up?

Also I read that stress/anxiety can make the throat tenseness worse than it is?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
What did the doctor tell you about this when you visited?

It sounds like stress and even almost a panic attack kind of situation, especially if you also have acid reflux, which could be a sign that your stomach is tightening.

Read this article for your acid reflux, and generally helping the stomach: http://humancure.com/acid-reflux-causes-and-natural-cure-powerful/

Basically it says that eating more meat will help the acid reflux, but you should still combine it with greens, but not carbs or sugar (even juices).

For helping stress reduction of this tightening type - do intense exercises, like jump rope (skipping) for 5 minutes everyday, you won't lose weight, but it will open your diaphragm area and help - also check your posture, sit upright when sitting on the computer or anywhere.

And lastly but not least - relax mentally! its only life, we all have problems, but don't damage yourself. I know, ive been there and tightened up my whole body - had to go through so much exercise and the above diet to fully resolve it.

good luck
Why are you waiting to start the omeprazole?
To first poster - doc suggested to take the tablets and take it from there afterwards if it didn't improve.

2nd poster - i have been drinking a fair bit recently and i did't want to go through missing a few medications. but i will start in a few days. have you taken it before?
Original post by VergeofInsanity
2nd poster - i have been drinking a fair bit recently and i did't want to go through missing a few medications. but i will start in a few days. have you taken it before?

No I've not taken it, but I know what it's for and what it does. It just struck me as a bit odd that you've been to the doctor about something that's clearly bothering you, you've been prescribed treatment for it but would rather wait than start that treatment straight away when it's been prescribed. Either way, it's your choice, the weekend is over now, start taking the omeprazole and see if it helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest