The Student Room Group

Is ICT blacklisted by Russell Group unis

I am wondering is ict blacklisted by Russell Group? I want to study computer science at unis which require maths and computing but my school only has ICT.

My question is whether ict is accepted by top unis? Thank you guys.
no it isn't black listed but it's not very respected. i'd recommend doing something else if you can, it's incredibly boring as well (coming from someone who did IT A-Level).
Reply 2
Thanks for your advise.
Unless you're applying to Oxbridge, UCL, Imperial, Warwick, or Sheffield, you aren't going to be singled out due to your A Level choices. At those universities, ICT would generally be considered a less preferable subject, and they would be looking for strong performance in Maths and another preferred A Level (usually Physics or Further Maths) to compensate for this. Outside of those universities however, you'll most likely be fine. None of the other Russell Groups openly discriminate based on A Level choice, and tbh a strong performance in Maths alone will put you in a good position. Ultimately, if you're doing A Level Maths with one other facilitating subject, ICT as your third A Level will be totally fine in the majority of cases. If you still feel doubtful, make sure to email the universities you're interested in attending. Good luck!
Original post by JackieFeng
I am wondering is ict blacklisted by Russell Group? I want to study computer science at unis which require maths and computing but my school only has ICT.

My question is whether ict is accepted by top unis? Thank you guys.

CompSci doesn't require Computing A Level.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
My sister studied ICT A Level and is now doing a Computing degree. So no, it's not blacklisted.

If you really want to stupid Computing, go to a different sixth form. Moving really isn't that bad, you'll meet new people and be able to actually do the subjects you want to do.

Quick Reply