The Student Room Group

the stress of being an early applicant

i'm starting to get sick of any of my friends at school who doesn't need top grades and can just doss about.... im sick of hearing "oh you'll get three a's in the end!"... and "as if you're stressing out about only just an A!". The other med applicants and I have been under sooo much stress, with ucas, work experience, interviews, rejections, exams, maternity leave teachers in EVERY subject, other stresses like money or family, and all of this jazz... a friend of mine died last night... and everyone else is just bantering about things in life that mean eff all like relationships and the prom... and unless you are one, no one seems to get the pressure early applicants are put under!

I need to get three A's. I've worked really hard and done every past paper I can, getting A's, but in january I got B's in maths and chemistry modules (cause I spaz out in exam conditions, and I had 9 exams). I'm still on three A's, but the maths and chem are very low ones, and it's sooo easy to drop down in C3 and C4, and in the chem practical... so naturally it's stressful borderlining on grades when they affect university places, yeah? And you don't get backups in medicine other than AAB if you're lucky enough to get more than one offer. I don't mean to put down other subjects, but getting an A in sociology is nothing compared to getting an A in maths (unless you're a mathematical natural)... contrary to what some of my friends think.

i just thought i'd start a thread where we can all share our woes... for anyone else who feels stressed and as though no one gets it.

*hugs* xxx

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'd be lying if I said I know how it feels, but just hang in there. Couple of more months and you'll know that it was definantly worth all the hard-work.
Reply 2
.... in a year or so you'll wonder what all the fuss was about about and believe that A levels were a piece of pi*s!

I thought life couldn't get any harder than A2s with a teacher that only turned up every couple of weeks - and then I started the final year of my degree with the ever-real possibility of a 2:ii hanging over my head!!

Whether or not your friends are having seemingly less stressful admissions cycles as you are doesn't mean they aren't stressed or worried, and that their relationship/prom woes aren't equally as important to them as your meicine-related woes are to you! Just go with the flow and work as hard as you can. If your teaching situation isn't ideal then let your med school choices know and they may take that into consideration in the unlikely event of you falling short of your required grades :smile:
Reply 3
What do you mean by 'early applicant'? The easrlier UCAS deadline?

If so you might be better posting this in the general unis forum, if you are trying to 'educate' others...
Reply 4
do you have something against me fluffy? because you seem to criticise and belittle a lot of posts i make when i'm expressing my opinion, and i'd rather you just didn't say anything at all... that was just referring to when you said 'educate', by the way. not the rest of the post.

as early applicant i meant oxbridge studients and med/dent/vet applicants

i posted it here because i want to do medicine, and on a general forum, there would be non early applicants reading it and i didn't want to be offensive. i was just stressed with my exam results and my parents when i posted that
Reply 5
No - I'm honestly saying that if you mean it is stressful having to be so certain so early in the application cycle, then you are talking to the converted. In which case this thread would be much better aimed at the people you're slating for being thoughtless... i.e. in the main uni forum.

Paranoia or what???????????????????
Reply 6
i didn't want to slate them and cause an argument though, i just needed a fellow a level student to empathise or something.

and also, sorry, i thought you were being sarcastic.
Reply 7
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMRRRRRRRRRP!

*Renal covers mouth*
Just because a person's offered lower grades, doesn't mean they're under less stress than you. While you feel AAA/AAB is tough to achieve, remember that to someone else, BBB/CCC could represent just as much of a challenge.
Good point, it's easy to forget things like that!
Reply 10
Completely unrelated - love the sig Renal :smile:
woo bloc partaay! :biggrin:

and cowsgomoo... :hugs: i know exactly how you feel...
Reply 12
The whole UCAS process involved in medicine for me at least has been somewhat torturous... I just pray and hope it'll work out in the end!
Hmm...I hate to say it but the OP could be belittling people who dont want to go into studying degrees which require lower A-level requirements...

I mean, my cousin had to get ABBBB in his Scottish Highers to get into Musical Engineering at Glasgow...and of course he was a straight A student, so no problems there. The way I see things, if you choose to want to study medicine, you've got to accept the consequences, which are to work hard, do work experience, be organised etc...

Furthermore, can I add that the high A-level entry requirements are due to the sheer competition rather than the academic content of studying medicine?? It's no easier studying for a degree in physics or chemistry than medicine you know :P

...art history on the other hand...haha
Reply 14
I know what you're saying - but when you go through the process - sit on 4 rejections - and still somehow have to drege up the will to sit 4A2s....Im predicted 4As - my teachers entered me for 2AEAs - Im not trying to be arrogant - my point is at least you have offers - try sitting exams with no place pending - and uncertainty regarding next year.

Tis the nature of medical applications - this is only the beginging of the workload - in the grander scale of things A levels are not the end of the world. See them as a means to an end.

You have a chance to get A levesls - and go onto medicine. Are you going to let it slip? Have some respect for the system, and ultimatly yourself. Knuckle down and work - its your own future after all.

Try being in my position - motivation is at an all time low :frown:. At this rate I'm probably going to fail.
Reply 15
& it's only going to get tougher ;]
Reply 16
graemematt
It's no easier studying for a degree in physics or chemistry than medicine you know :P

...art history on the other hand...haha

In fact a chem or physics degree is actually a lot harder! Med is easy compared to my first degree and most grads I know (all the real science grads) feel the same.
Reply 17
oops, well... i wasn't trying to say that all non-medic applicants don't work hard and that it might be just as much as a struggle for someone else to get their own grades, i'm honestly not close minded like that... i was more annoyed that some people really just don't get what it's like to stress about this stuff and those don't have to work hard at all, i feel like ive made myself sound bigheaded, and i don't want to...i know that i'm meant to accept hard work as medicine is competetive, i do work hard so please don't imply that i don't. i wasn't complaining about having to work hard, just my peers who wouldn't understand.. and i was just upset and stressed so thats why i posted! but shud have done on nmm because it's friendlier there... anyway when i started the thread i was in a horrible mood, i'm ok now
Reply 18
cowsgomoo
oops, well... i wasn't trying to say that all non-medic applicants don't work hard and that it might be just as much as a struggle for someone else to get their own grades, i'm honestly not close minded like that... i was more annoyed that some people really just don't get what it's like to stress about this stuff and those don't have to work hard at all, i feel like ive made myself sound bigheaded, and i don't want to...i know that i'm meant to accept hard work as medicine is competetive, i do work hard so please don't imply that i don't. i wasn't complaining about having to work hard, just my peers who wouldn't understand.. and i was just upset and stressed so thats why i posted! but shud have done on nmm because it's friendlier there... anyway when i started the thread i was in a horrible mood, i'm ok now

I do understand what you mean. When I applied my friends didn't really care about the ucas process they all got 5/6 offers of very achievable grades (this is very individual but for my friends the grades they had to get were achievable. So around exam time when I was freaking out they were pretty relaxed which just made me feel worse. the other thing that annoyed me at the time is when i told people that I had 3 offers (Which i was over the moon about) they would say what only 3 i would have thought you would have 6. Anyway it is all worth it in the end try not to get to stressed.
cowsgomoo
do you have something against me fluffy? because you seem to criticise and belittle a lot of posts i make when i'm expressing my opinion, and i'd rather you just didn't say anything at all... that was just referring to when you said 'educate', by the way. not the rest of the post.

as early applicant i meant oxbridge studients and med/dent/vet applicants

i posted it here because i want to do medicine, and on a general forum, there would be non early applicants reading it and i didn't want to be offensive. i was just stressed with my exam results and my parents when i posted that

i still don't get the whole 'early applicant' thingy...

Do medics now have to apply even earlier? do they apply earlier thn other subjects?
Is there anything that makes them different from other subjects?

And is the system still that oxbridge applcations are all in months before the UCAS deadline?

[i was the last year of the old A-level system, don't know how it all translated to the new ones!]

Latest

Trending

Trending