The Student Room Group

Edexcel Unit 3 (IAL): Exploring Physics, WPH03 (26th January 2016)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zacken
Not sure. Maybe 1 mark, there is a very similar question in Jan or June 15..

Or may be repeat the height measured and take average
Reply 81
Original post by Zainat0987
I dont think you needed to plot a graph ...they didnt mention to use a graphical method like past years..and also any definition including a graph ques. would have been for atleast 4 marks..just using the efficiency eqn. Would have done..

Well, I thought about writing the equation only, (I wrote it too though) including the graphical method.

Was confused for 4 marks. lol
Original post by SaadKaleem
Well, I thought about writing the equation only, (I wrote it too though) including the graphical method.

Was confused for 4 marks. lol

You wont lose any marks though..:smile:
Original post by omar5478
Check paper January 2012 for example.

Oh just checked the jan 2012 there it was mentioned "straight" line of best fit..but this time its was just the line of best fit isnt it?..can anybody confirm though??..

and also at the front it was written that you may need a ruler and which was only specifically needed for drawing the straight line for that ques. throughout the whole paper in the jan 2012 one...which wasnt the case for this paper this time..

Haha although i put on a straight line today..:tongue:....but there will be all confusions regarding this ques. Up and until the ms gets released..

But one thing for certain the gb will be low for the one half of the studs..:biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
Oh just checked the jan 2012 there it was mentioned "straight" line of best fit..but this time its was just the line of best fit isnt it?..can anybody confirm though??..

and also at the front it was written that you may need a ruler and which was only specifically needed for drawing the straight line for that ques. throughout the whole paper in the jan 2012 one...which wasnt the case for this paper this time..

Haha although i put on a straight line today..:tongue:....but there will be all confusions regarding this ques. Up and until the ms gets released..

But one thing for certain the gb will be low for the one half of the studs..:biggrin:

I did that qp long ago in my school. just checked it again. Now I am utterly convinced it would be a curve because in all past papers there is something to do with the gradients and comparisons with y = mx + c for the graph questions but there wasnt any such question this time. Its pretty evident that it would be a curve
Original post by Zacken
I drew best fit but it looked crap so I went for the curve.

I got 6.5 * 10^6 as well and that's definitely right. I said that the extension was due to force only and not thermal expansion, somebody else said area is constant.

Actually, if you look at it, you've got the first three points above the line of best of fit and the next three below. Was that what you got? But for some weird reason I got the answer for the area as 11.8 :rofl:

Edit: @Zainat0987 it was supposed to be a straight line.
Reply 86
Original post by Hamoody
Actually, if you look at it, you've got the first three points above the line of best of fit and the next three below. Was that what you got? But for some weird reason I got the answer for the area as 11.8 :rofl:

Edit: @Zainat0987 it was supposed to be a straight line.

I drew a curve.
I'm pretty sure it was supposed to be a curve, since there is no direct relationship of force against extension for a rubber.
For a rubber, the force against extension graph is a curve.
Original post by Zacken
I drew a curve.

Original post by Chirstos Ioannou
I'm pretty sure it was supposed to be a curve, since there is no direct relationship of force against extension for a rubber.
For a rubber, the force against extension graph is a curve.

B-but you see it has got to be a smooth curve correct? This one looked spooky, no way it could have been a curve :noway:
Reply 89
Original post by Hamoody
B-but you see it has got to be a smooth curve correct? This one looked spooky, no way it could have been a curve :noway:

Yes, it has to be a smooth cuve - hence why you ignore the values that add kinks to the curve.
Original post by Hamoody

I ignore the last point as it got too high and i made a smooth curve
Why would they ask for the quantities to be measured and put only 2 marks for it? At first i wrote current, time and height but then i thought that it was wrong because the question was only for 2 marks..
Probably lost some marks there... :/
That's so lame of them.
Original post by Hamoody

Its not spooky bro, the Fx graph for rubber is ought to be like this. pls check hodder book and see the graph. my shape of the graph was exactly like that
Original post by SaadKaleem
Motor Experiment, even though experiments are marked (holistically and not really pin-point to the MS)

This is just the summary of what, I wrote (Not exact):

Quantities to be measured:

Height, Time, Current.

Two Quantities & Apparatus:

Height - Metre rule - +-1mm
Time - Stop watch - +- 0.01 s

Repeat?

Yes, repeat to get average value, and more reliable / accurate result etc...

How to obtain Efficiency?

Plot a graph of Power output against power input, gradient/efficiency = (mgh/t) / (V*I) etc..

Uncertainty:

Friction in the axle, so energy dissipated and power output would decrease.

Safety

Electric shock etc. (any appropriate comment)

I dont think stop watch has a precision of 0.01s... its to 0.1s
Original post by Zacken
Yes, it has to be a smooth cuve - hence why you ignore the values that add kinks to the curve.

Original post by Chirstos Ioannou
I ignore the last point as it got too high and i made a smooth curve

Original post by Zacken
I drew a curve.

It was not a smooth curve it was something like an S shape. Thats like the Force-extension graph for rubber (you can find the graph in hodder book). If you used all the points the graph looked like this exactly (the picture is the google image search result for rubber Fx graph)
544559738.gif
Reply 95
Original post by tanjimkhan
It was not a smooth curve it was something like an S shape. Thats like the Force-extension graph for rubber (you can find the graph in hodder book). If you used all the points the graph looked like this exactly (the picture is the google image search result for rubber Fx graph)
544559738.gif

That's a smooth curve. :tongue:

A smooth curve means continuous and non-polygonal. :tongue:
Original post by omar5478
I am back !! I calculated the work according to the line of best fit which is usually the right way to get similar stuff in the past papers. What did you get for stress and strain though ? I got 650000 and 2.3 and my assumption was that the area is constant.

They asked for the best fit "line" so i continued with a straight but the points on the the graph were indeed a bit awkward i also thought of going for a curve at first..

Btw what was the stress value 6.5 * 10^6?..and what could be the assumption ?

Original post by Zacken
I drew best fit but it looked crap so I went for the curve.

I got 6.5 * 10^6 as well and that's definitely right. I said that the extension was due to force only and not thermal expansion, somebody else said area is constant.

The assumption will be that the rubber does not break or permanently deform under the applied stress.
There was a similar question in a past Unit 1 paper.
Original post by Zacken
That's a smooth curve. :tongue:

A smooth curve means continuous and non-polygonal. :tongue:

But you don't need to ignore any points. My points matched perfectly to make the curve
Reply 98
Original post by tanjimkhan
But you don't need to ignore any points. My points matched perfectly to make the curve

Mine looks exactly like the picture you describes and I ignored 2 points.
Original post by Zacken
Mine looks exactly like the picture you describes and I ignored 2 points.

I dont think you needed to ignore a point. Just after i plotted the points it appeared like the curve. All the points perfectly fitted in that shape for me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending