The Student Room Group

Trying to do maths at Oxbridge!

Hi everyone, my name is Bella. I've just started my AS levels and have been told by all my teachers to start thinking of extra activities do to do now, for my personal statement. I want to go to Oxbridge, to study maths, and was wondering what types of competitions, projects, masterclasses, or other things I could be doing.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
i would recommend learning to code
Reply 2
Original post by Isabella Oliver
Hi everyone, my name is Bella. I've just started my AS levels and have been told by all my teachers to start thinking of extra activities do to do now, for my personal statement. I want to go to Oxbridge, to study maths, and was wondering what types of competitions, projects, masterclasses, or other things I could be doing.

I'm sure coding will take a very long time to become 'good'. You could do DofE, NCS, join a sports team if you haven't already and anything maths related after school will be useful...

Do the 'maths challenge.'

Look at widening participation schemes, if you're near London LSE and UCL do loads. Sutton Trust do summer schools and Oxford has a great pathways scheme! :smile:

I don't believe Oxbridge care about the PS, especially for maths.

Do lots of maths - get up to speed with C1,2,3,4 (the core modules), then (and not before then) dive into AEA and STEP I papers
They'd really take notice of your application if you got a good result in STEP I in Year 12.
Reply 6

If you're certain that you're going to be applying for Maths - and it is perhaps a little early to be fixed on a subject until you've seen how your AS levels go - then extra-curriculars really aren't too important for Oxbridge.

If your school does maths competitions like SMC, BMO etc then those are worth participating in, but for Maths the really important thing is how good you are at maths, not how many 'extra' activites you do.

I presume you're taking FM as well as normal maths - make sure you do all the FP modules you can, and after that, Mechanics and Stats are the best preparation for a top uni. Avoid the Decision modules unless your school gives you no choice!

Again, it's a bit early, but try to work out which areas of Maths actually interest you so that you have something to research independently and talk about later on if interviewed,
Reply 7

My advice is read some maths books (I found e:the story of a number quite interesting) and write in your PS what specific parts you enjoyed about it. SMC and BMO would be good, perhaps look into helping out at maths help sessions if you can't find anything else.

Oxbridge don't really care about your PS, and even less so on your extracurricular's (my PS had 2 lines of extracurricular's and I still got an offer)

Quick Reply

Latest