The Student Room Group

Struggling with choosing universities

So I'm applying for 2016 entry to medicine (A100).
(Stas- 11A*s, 4 As at AS, 4 A*s predicted at A2, 800 UKCAT average).

My school's deadline for university choices was on Monday, but they've given me an extension of a week. So I basically have the next few days to choose a final uni. I know I'm applying to Oxford, Nottingham and King's College London for A100 and then Bristol/Exeter/Bath for my fifth non-medicine option (that decision isn't as important). However, I have no idea what to put down for my fourth medicine option. I don't like the PBL style of teaching, so that immediately gets rid of a lot of medical school options.
So basically, my question is this- should I go for another UKCAT heavy university like Newcastle, although I don't really like Newcastle very much (but if I can't think of anything else then I will apply there). Alternatively, I could apply to a second BMAT university (i.e Imperial/BSMS/UCL) although that's a risk.

Thoughts??
4th choice - BSMS. Brighton is a fabulous city for students, by the sea and 50 mins from London.

5th choice - Bristol for Cellular and Molecular Medicine program - http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cellmolmed/study/undergraduate/
Reply 2
Honestly just apply to whatever university you like the most, i'm applying to 3 BMAT unis! :colonhash:
Original post by returnmigrant
4th choice - BSMS. Brighton is a fabulous city for students, by the sea and 50 mins from London.

5th choice - Bristol for Cellular and Molecular Medicine program - http://www.bristol.ac.uk/cellmolmed/study/undergraduate/

That course at Bristol looks excellent actually, that's definitely an option to consider. As for BSMS- Wouldn't you say it was risky to apply to two BMAT unis? I do like the look of Brighton though XD

Original post by Azula
Honestly just apply to whatever university you like the most, i'm applying to 3 BMAT unis! :colonhash:

Haha, but that's the problem- I'm incredibly fussy, so there's nowhere I like as much as Kings/Oxford/Nottingham xD THREE bmat unis? Holy crap! Which ones? xD
Or... A100 at Bristol. No BMAT.
Original post by returnmigrant
Or... A100 at Bristol. No BMAT.

A terrible choice with a UKCAT that high. Bristol will be inundated with applications because it is the only school that doesn't require an entrance exam. The OP needs to make the most of her excellent score in the UKCAT.
Reply 6
Original post by thechemistress
That course at Bristol looks excellent actually, that's definitely an option to consider. As for BSMS- Wouldn't you say it was risky to apply to two BMAT unis? I do like the look of Brighton though XD

Haha, but that's the problem- I'm incredibly fussy, so there's nowhere I like as much as Kings/Oxford/Nottingham xD THREE bmat unis? Holy crap! Which ones? xD

I knoww I get what you mean :wink:
The BMAT ones are Imperial, UCL and Cambridge, although the offers for the last two are so high!! :s-smilie:

My school's deadline for university choices was on Monday, but they've given me an extension of a week. So I basically have the next few days to choose a final uni. I know I'm applying to Oxford, Nottingham and King's College London for A100 and then Bristol/Exeter/Bath for my fifth non-medicine option (that decision isn't as important). However, I have no idea what to put down for my fourth medicine option. I don't like the PBL style of teaching, so that immediately gets rid of a lot of medical school options.
So basically, my question is this- should I go for another UKCAT heavy university like Newcastle, although I don't really like Newcastle very much (but if I can't think of anything else then I will apply there). Alternatively, I could apply to a second BMAT university (i.e Imperial/BSMS/UCL) although that's a risk.

Thoughts??

With your stat., you likely will get interview from any medical school anyway. Cannot see why you have to go to UKCAT heavy university!

Thoughts??

What about Birmingham? They like strong academics (which you have) and they'll be using the UKCAT this year.
Original post by Timewilltellu
With your stat., you likely will get interview from any medical school anyway. Cannot see why you have to go to UKCAT heavy university!

Not necessarily. Universities also look at the PS, and whilst I do have a lot of volunteering and work experience, I'm worried that PS ranking is far too subjective so could go wrong :/

Original post by ForestCat
What about Birmingham? They like strong academics (which you have) and they'll be using the UKCAT this year.

Actually, I've not really considered Birmingham. That's something to think about. I kinda dismissed it because I once heard that they were big on extra-curriculars? Is that true?
Original post by Azula
I knoww I get what you mean :wink:
The BMAT ones are Imperial, UCL and Cambridge, although the offers for the last two are so high!! :s-smilie:

Woahhhh, you're going for tough ones xD Good luck! :tongue:
Not necessarily. Universities also look at the PS, and whilst I do have a lot of volunteering and work experience, I'm worried that PS ranking is far too subjective so could go wrong :/

Actually, I've not really considered Birmingham. That's something to think about. I kinda dismissed it because I once heard that they were big on extra-curriculars? Is that true?

As far as I know Birmingham like academics, like straight As at AS and lots of A*s at GCSE. Combine that with the fact that you've got a stellar UKCAT and I think it would be a good shout. Certainly safer than another BMAT choice.
Reply 12
Woahhhh, you're going for tough ones xD Good luck! :tongue:

Haha medicine is hard to get into anywhere :wink:
Good luck too!
Original post by ForestCat
As far as I know Birmingham like academics, like straight As at AS and lots of A*s at GCSE. Combine that with the fact that you've got a stellar UKCAT and I think it would be a good shout. Certainly safer than another BMAT choice.

Huh, I actually didn't know that xD thanks for the help, I'm going to look into Birmingham now xD
630 UKCAT average
Three A*s Three As and Two Bs
All A predictions for A2

Any advice on which medical school would suit my results?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
I would definitely advise you to apply to Birmingham, at Bham 70% of your total application is based on your GCSEs/A levels which you clearly have done very well in and the rest of the 30% is based on your UKCAT score and they combine these two factors and generate a score and then give out interviews to people with the highest score. From what i've seen/heard Bham are much more focused on grades, although you do need sound Work Experience. You have a very high chance at Bham and medicine is a game of calculation to maximise your chances of gaining an offer and so don't go with too many universities that are highly competitive because at the end of the day no one cares where you've done medicine from, it's medicine, all universities that offer A100 are bound to be excellent and besides it would a shame to have no offers than a couple offers from universities that aren't so competitive/highly ranked for medicine.
There's Queens Belfast, unless you really don't want to go to Northern Ireland. They have a more traditional course and with your grades and UKCAT you score full marks on their pre interview selection haha! You're pretty much guaranteed an interview there.

Birmingham seems like the best choice looking at what the others above have said. Good Luck :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending