The Student Room Group

Oxford economics&management with below average GCSE's?

I know its late, but ive already done my personal statement and i am in an oxbridge scheme at my sixth form, in which my application in terms of reference and personal statement will be strong, but should i actually apply to oxford? I managed AAAAABBBBBB at GCSE level, and managed AAAA at AS level in Maths, Physics, History and English, being predicted A*A*A*a at A2 Level in Maths Physics History and AS Further maths respectively. Is it worth applying to oxford as im aware GCSE grades are considered or is it a wasted application?
My UMS was also 94 for maths, 90 English, 89 Physics and 83 History (but its mitigating circumstances for history, my sixth form didnt teach the whole syllabus which will be noted in the reference - i still achieved an A)
(edited 8 years ago)
It won't be a wasted application.. Good luck!
Admissions tutors do sometimes set minimum grades and have a rigid framework for deciding which personal statements to read. The best people to ask are the people deciding. Each department and college will have contact details and if you ask what their policies towards GCSEs are they might say "don't really care", or "minimum requirement is 80% A*".

It is especially important you confirm all this because economics is competitive all the way through the Russell group.
Reply 3
Original post by Llamageddon
Admissions tutors do sometimes set minimum grades and have a rigid framework for deciding which personal statements to read. The best people to ask are the people deciding. Each department and college will have contact details and if you ask what their policies towards GCSEs are they might say "don't really care", or "minimum requirement is 80% A*".

It is especially important you confirm all this because economics is competitive all the way through the Russell group.

My oxbridge coordinator at sixth form has been in contact with colleges at oxford, yet when asking him whether i should apply or not; it was not a definitive yes or no. I will make sure to email certain colleges today though to check policies, thanks for the advice!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending