The Student Room Group

Shadow Chancellor is Tory-lite!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bornblue
But Corbyn hasn't said he will fund through borrowing...
He'll stop public sector cuts and invest certainly.
Miliband promised weak tory-lite austerity, Corbyn isn't.

You've now done a complete 180, from arguing he's a looney lefty to arguing he's a tory-lite.

I know you're desperate for him to fail, more for your own ego than anything else, but making cast iron predictions now is beyond foolish.

Initially I didn't want Corbyn, I didn't think he could win, I thought it would be destroy the party.
Right now however, i'm convinced he can win. Absolutely he can and no small poll two weeks in is going to convince me otherwise.

Let's stop this pointless back and forth and see what happens in May, re-evaluate and then be in a clearer position to make predictions. I know you're keen to be a misery guts but just once, lighten up eh?

Oh God, it seems you literally aren't understanding the position. McDonnell, by supporting Osborne's fiscal charter, will not borrow to invest - even Miliband did that. Miliband said he would balance the current budget but would run a capital deficit to invest; McDonnell, like Osborne, will run surpluses in both the current and capital budget.

Personally, I'm delighted with Corbyn's selection. I just want some of his backers to be confronted by realism and data.
Original post by ibzombie96
Oh God, it seems you literally aren't understanding the position. McDonnell, by supporting Osborne's fiscal charter, will not borrow to invest - even Miliband did that. Miliband said he would balance the current budget but would run a capital deficit to invest; McDonnell, like Osborne, will run surpluses in both the current and capital budget.

Personally, I'm delighted with Corbyn's selection. I just want some of his backers to be confronted by realism and data.

I'm delighted too and his supporters are the most realistic of the lot.
I'll discuss further and reevaluate my position after the May elections.
You don't think he can win, I'm certain he can.
No point going round in circles. Wait till May.
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm delighted to and his supporters are the most realistic of the lot.
I'll discuss further and reevaluate my position after the May elections.
You don't think he can win, I'm certain he can.
No point going round in circles. Wait till May.

Sure, you think he will win, I don't. That's fine.

But that wasn't my original point. Do you agree with McDonnell's signing up to Osborne's fiscal charter, which is even more conservative than Miliband's policy?
Sure, you think he will win, I don't. That's fine.

But that wasn't my original point. Do you agree with McDonnell's signing up to Osborne's fiscal charter, which is even more conservative than Miliband's policy?

I never said he will, I said he can.
I'm waiting to see him flesh out his exact proposals and policies.

He seems to be compromising on his good economic policies and keeping his ludicrous foreign ones.

"We will support the charter. We will support the charter on the basis we are going to want to balance the book, we do want to live within our means and we will tackle the deficit"

Those are his words. The charter means no current budget deficit, and it means no borrowing to invest. What do you think?
"We will support the charter. We will support the charter on the basis we are going to want to balance the book, we do want to live within our means and we will tackle the deficit"

Those are his words. The charter means no current budget deficit, and it means no borrowing to invest. What do you think?

If he can propose a way to do that without making cuts to low and middle income earners and instead making those at the top pay their fare share then absolutely I think he can do it.
Borrowing is not the only way of raising capital.
You see again, you've done a complete 180, claiming he's now a tory-lite because it suits your anti-Corbyn agenda. The press did the same with Ed Miliband. Made out like he was a looney lefty and a tory lite depending on which line suited their current line of attack.

Unlike you, I've never claimed Corbyn was an extremist, I wouldn't support him if I felt he was. But rather his policies are far more mainstream, 'centrist' and realistic then the current ideological cuts of the tory party.
If he can propose a way to do that without making cuts to low and middle income earners and instead making those at the top pay their fare share then absolutely I think he can do it.
Borrowing is not the only way of raising capital.
You see again, you've done a complete 180, claiming he's now a tory-lite because it suits your anti-Corbyn agenda. The press did the same with Ed Miliband. Made out like he was a looney lefty and a tory lite depending on which line suited their current line of attack.

Unlike you, I've never claimed Corbyn was an extremist, I wouldn't support him if I felt he was. But rather his policies are far more mainstream, 'centrist' and realistic then the current ideological cuts of the tory party.

I haven't done a 180; it's Labour that have. Should I have expected that Corbyn's Labour Party would take a more conservative fiscal stance than Ed Miliband? It's a surprise to everyone. Given that McDonnell said a couple of weeks ago that the fiscal charter is mad and that Corbyn consistently talked about government-led growth, do you disagree that its they that have changed position?
I haven't done a 180; it's Labour that have. Should I have expected that Corbyn's Labour Party would take a more conservative fiscal stance than Ed Miliband? It's a surprise to everyone. Given that McDonnell said a couple of weeks ago that the fiscal charter is mad and that Corbyn consistently talked about government-led growth, do you disagree that its they that have changed position?

I'm glad you agree that Corbyn is not an extremist and a 'threat to national security' but actually has very popular, mainstream and realistic policies.

It's what I've been saying all along.
(edited 8 years ago)
Now this policy might well mean that it is game over for Labour in 2020 if the Conservatives reduce the deficit significantly or completely as this way the aim of the Labour Chancellor and the Tories have achieved it so the policy is incredibly risky.

New Labour will at least try to cut the deficit whilst helping the poor but they won't be able to help them or the economy as well as they could by spending to invest and grow the economy, the deficit is not that important the debt to GDP ratio is important.I know what he is trying to do to try and make Labour more electable as the deficit is sown into most people's minds now, one thing we haven't fully considered yet is whether the deficit can be cut through growing the economy through investment by borrowing(its unlikely to cut the deficit in the short term in that way though or can the gains from such a project come that quickly?).
I'm glad you agree that Corbyn is not an extremist and a 'threat to national security' but actually has very popular, mainstream and realistic policies.

It's what I've been saying all along.

It's his position on the military, Trident, NATO, Putin etc that make me uncomfortable. That's ignoring his ideas about renationalisation of energy, opening coal mines and so forth.

What policies of his are popular, apart from the nationalisation of the railways? Of course, you'd have to refer to polls, though they are clearly low in your favour given they've produced a -3 rating for Corbyn. People know what his policy positions are, and that's why he's unpopular. You must just accept objective fact.

But I ask you again, as this was my original point before you decided to go into one about the wonderful Mr Corbyn: do you agree with Mr McDonnell and his signing up to the Tories' fiscal charter?
x

I was under the impression that although McDonnell is supporting the fiscal charter he is not supporting the budget. Perhaps I'm wrong, I'm certainly no expert, but this certainly opposes your argument:

Labour would also stimulate economic growth by borrowing to invest in infrastructure projects, McDonnell said. “We will tackle the deficit but the dividing line between us and the Tories is how we tackle it. Our basic line is we are not allowing either middle or low earners or those on benefit to have to pay for the crisis. It is as simple as that.”

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/sep/25/john-mcdonnell-labour-will-match-osborne-and-live-within-our-means

He may be going along with the deficit narrative but that's hardly Tory-lite.

Out of interest, how likely do think it is that the Government will clear the deficit by 2020?
Original post by DodoManiac
I was under the impression that although McDonnell is supporting the fiscal charter he is not supporting the budget. Perhaps I'm wrong, I'm certainly no expert, but this certainly opposes your argument:

Labour would also stimulate economic growth by borrowing to invest in infrastructure projects, McDonnell said. “We will tackle the deficit but the dividing line between us and the Tories is how we tackle it. Our basic line is we are not allowing either middle or low earners or those on benefit to have to pay for the crisis. It is as simple as that.”

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/sep/25/john-mcdonnell-labour-will-match-osborne-and-live-within-our-means

He may be going along with the deficit narrative but that's hardly Tory-lite.

Out of interest, how likely do think it is that the Government will clear the deficit by 2020?

If I've got the detail correct, infrastructure investment will be undertaken by the BoE and a newly set up 'National Investment Bank' through a bond buying programme ('people's QE'), with the former having its mandate changed from inflation control to asset building. The Treasury, by having signed up to the fiscal charter, will have to keep both current and capital budgets in the positive unless GDP growth for the year is less than one percent.

I think it's quite likely the deficit will be gone by 18/19, given we've already seen a month in budget surplus (I think it was June or July). But that's assuming we don't have a small recession in 2018. The trouble abroad may well import itself over here which could well dampen tax receipts for the Treasury.
No you didn't. Polls are a small sample and recently have been way off. Polls leading up to the last election showed Miliband's personal ratings even overtaking Camerons slightly - fat lot of good that did.
I'm not trusting polls and you'd be a fool to.
Besides its two weeks into his leadership, judging him off two weeks would be absurd and it smacks of desperation that you're doing so.

Polls had been showing consistently that the Tories were more trusted on the Economy.

Trump v Sanders would mean radically different politics and it may well be that. Trump miles ahead and Sanders catching Clinton fast. In America, like here, voters are fast abandoning the 'centre ground'.

I know he's an idiot, but Trump seems to be a pretty moderate Republican candidate.

But not many had actually seen him speak first hand without the biased media spin. He got positive reviews for PMQs and absolute rave reviews or his wonderful, straight talking, unspun interview on Marr this morning - even off the Blairties and the Daily Telegraph...
The more people who see him and realise he's a thoroughly decent, intelligent and strong individual the more they'll come round to him and stop viewing him as this 'threat to national security' rubbish that the tories and media are trying to portray him as.

There's some cognitive dissonance going on there....
I do love how the right-wing rags have now resorted to making up stories about Labour's policies rather than reporting the truth.

- Times are running a story about deselection of "moderate" MPs.
Absolutely no proof that either Corbyn or McDonnell are planning anything close to that. The link to the unions manipulating the CLP is nonsense considering no policies are even in place to allow the deselection of MPs.

- Both the Daily Mail and Telegraph (oh how far you've fallen) running stories on supposed plans to tax the middle classes even more
Pure fantasy. Like literally made up bull****. This is some football silly season level nonsense. The only tax increases that have been outlined are to increase the top rate (i.e. earnings over £150 000 from 45% to 50%). The review of the HMRC and increase in its funding will help make sure this amount can actually be collected and not "evaded" as before.

I really don't understand some of these right-wingers - it's like they have something against democracy. They're essentially trying to carpet bomb the public with made-up stories about the Labour party just so they can avoid a grown-up discussion. It really is sickening.
(edited 8 years ago)
It's his position on the military, Trident, NATO, Putin etc that make me uncomfortable. That's ignoring his ideas about renationalisation of energy, opening coal mines and so forth.

What policies of his are popular, apart from the nationalisation of the railways? Of course, you'd have to refer to polls, though they are clearly low in your favour given they've produced a -3 rating for Corbyn. People know what his policy positions are, and that's why he's unpopular. You must just accept objective fact.

But I ask you again, as this was my original point before you decided to go into one about the wonderful Mr Corbyn: do you agree with Mr McDonnell and his signing up to the Tories' fiscal charter?

You're mistaking sensationalist newspaper headlines with actual policies...
It is not official policy to leave nato, it now will not be official policy to remove trident (although I wish we would). With regards to the military, all he said was 'it would be great if no country needed an army'- that doesn't mean he wants to disband the army at all.
He has hammered Putin.

Renationalising energy, rail and other services are wonderful ideas which are all popular. As is clamping down on tax avoidance, an end of austerity, further investment in public services, taxing those at the top higher and increasing workers rights and building more houses are all very popular.

Again let me refer you to his brilliant performance on Marr which got rave reviews from the daily telegraph and
Blairites.

You don't really have a leg to stand on mate after months of warning us he's an extremist you're now complaining he's Tory lite. The truth is he's neither, he's a popular, mainstream politicians whose views and policies are far more 'centrist' then the supposed 'centre ground'.
But you're the type who think he's a threat to national security for respectfully standing in silence during the national anthem...
How about David Cameron goofing around and taking selfies at mandelas funeral?

But of course, one rule for the Tories, another for everyone else.
He's never Denied we need to get rid of the deficit, but not by austerity.

Stop pissing on people's chips and for once try and be positive - you might just like it, then again you seem determined to wallow in misery.
Original post by United1892
He seems to be compromising on his good economic policies and keeping his ludicrous foreign ones.

Out of interest, could you clarify what these good and bad policies are? You may get a rep out of it!
You're mistaking sensationalist newspaper headlines with actual policies...
It is not official policy to leave nato,

I seriously have no idea how many times this has to be said for people to accept it.

It seems like every single day I see a newspaper come out saying Corbyn wants the UK to leave NATO. Both Corbyn and McDonnell have come out and said categorically that this will not happen.

I get the impression that the media are running with the tactic of "say something enough times and people will eventually start to believe it".
Original post by Davij038
Polls had been showing consistently that the Tories were more trusted on the Economy.

I know he's an idiot, but Trump seems to be a pretty moderate Republican candidate.

There's some cognitive dissonance going on there....

'Pretty moderate'?
He wants to build a wall between America and Mexico and charge the Mexicans for it. He accused the Mexican government of sending rapists to America. He wants to get rid of Muslims.

He's incredibly racist and sexist- I don't call that 'pretty moderate'.
Original post by looseseal
I seriously have no idea how many times this has to be said for people to accept it.

It seems like every single day I see a newspaper come out saying Corbyn wants the UK to leave NATO. Both Corbyn and McDonnell have come out and said categorically that this will not happen.

I get the impression that the media are running with the tactic of "say something enough times and people will eventually start to believe it".

Aye. But the right wing nut jobs on here lap it up.
No matter how many times Corbyn says Its not official policy to leave nato, the likes o Davej and IB will keep repeating that it's is policy. It's just factually incorrect and nothing more than scaremongering.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending