The Student Room Group

Accommodation costs

Hi guys!

I had my needs assessment at the beginning of my course in 2013. They recommended that I be paid the difference between a standard and a disabled room by DSA. I've sent my receipts in for this year and SFE are saying that they only approved this for the first year! I'm panicking a bit as there is no way I can afford this and I'm also down for the same room again next year. Does anybody have any ideas/know anything about this?
Reply 1
I am curious why they would only pay it for your first year? Do they think your disability will have improved? I would speak to your student support team about this.
They've changed the rules regarding accommodation and what they will pay for now.
Reply 3
You could ask for help from your university via the hardship fund, you may be able to get a non-standard award (which covers this kind of thing). This is how I'm able to afford my accommodation.
Do you receive DLA or PIP?
Reply 5
I don't get PIP at the moment, but I'm about to apply for it. The trouble is that I was counting on being reimbursed in order to pay for the next term's rent and PIP, if I get it, will take ages to come through.

I heard that they had changed the rules, but it was my understanding that the accommodation changes were coming in (if at all) in 2015-6...

Quick Reply

Latest