The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've been. Just be yourself and realise that you are being assessed every second of the day. It's easy to let your guard down because it feels so relaxed. Great firm, and the fairest assessment I've been to thus far.
has anyone applied for a vac sheme at macfarlanes and had an interview?? I've not heard anything at all from them yet!
Reply 3
I'm still waiting 4 them too am a lil fed up with the firms that haven't gotten back to me in general!
Reply 4
ok I just heard back from macfarlanes today and they've invited me to an open day... I am confused... Is this like an interview/assessment day or is it something else as I don't know what to expect and when I called in to say I could go on the day all she said is ok thank you bye and put the phone down!
My understanding is that they're not much like assessment days at all. Much less formal, much less testing you and more imparting information and giving you tips and stuff. It might not be the same everywhere (and yeah, they probably use any time they spend with you in some way so if you really stand out they remember for hte future etc) but it's not 'assessed' in a rigid sense.
Reply 6
Um...it is definitely assessed. I just feels more relaxed than other firms' assessment days in that it doesn't feel like they are out to get you or trip you up like other firms. They just put you in different situations and watch how you handle yourself. The actual interview part is very short. It's much more about you getting to know the firm and them getting to know you to figure out if you would make a good 'fit'. Good luck!
So rather than an open day, you're talking about an assessment day with a different name?
Reply 8
I think open days aren't assessed at all! The reasons firms do it is to make sure as many potential lawyers are exposed to the firm so that they can apply to them! They're so many of you and so few HR people that they don't remember you individually! Seriously, I think they're only good for you to say..." I was able to get an understanding of the firm after I attended your open day where I blah blah blah" Please do not put too much effort into them! They won't remember you and besides you don't get to show yourself off much at all.

I fully expect a lot of you to disagree with me. It's just what I have gathered from attending a few.
Reply 9
I haven't been on an open day yet, so I can't speak with complete confidence about what those are like. But from what I have heard of open days, I would have to say that the macfarlanes day is half assessment, half open day. There are practical exercises on which they definitely assess and take notes, but there is also a tour of their offices and opportunities to meet several of their employees.

I guess the theory is it's much harder to keep secret your social Tourette's and that propensity to put your foot in your mouth over the course of a full day than it is in a 45 minute interview.
Reply 10
just to be clear, macfarlanes calls their assessment days "open days". Confused the hell out of me too! Sorry Lewis-boy. I only now figured out what you were asking.
Reply 11
Again, from the practical exercises I had at open days, it was more to give the students a 'feel' for what lawyers do and the issues they have to deal with. They will take notes but I don't think when the student applies for a tc HR will go get those notes to make sure that they did a good job in the exercise!! I think all they want to know is that you were invited and you attended. What happened on the day probably doesn't matter too much unless you did something completely out of order!
Reply 12
yikes I'm even more confused now as the e-mail i got today/ last night says it is part of them deciding if i should get a vac scheme or not... got the plan for the day it doesn't seem too bad but I'm quite scared about the interview bit as this will be my first one of those!!
Reply 13
Looks like macfarlanes actually do assess on their open days then!!! Sorry, did not mean to confuse anyone. Was just stating what I've gathered from the more traditional open days. Good luck with it!
Yeah I see that now.. I alwasy had open day down as the thing for after you'd been rejected as a 'consolation' prize. They're clearly different.
Reply 15
Macfarlanes have done this for a few years i.e. have Assessment Days called "Open Days". I think they did this way back in 2000 when I was applying. I didn't like them much, they seemed to have a bizarrely high opinion of themselves considering how they're placed in the City, and they seemed kind of stuffy. But then, that was 7 years ago.
Reply 16
I went to the open day last week and was extremely impressed with them. They were so so friendly and it was such a relaxed process. They weren't trying to catch us out and they really wanted us to get an idea of how the firm works. They offered me a vac scheme the following day - the speed and organisation of the whole process was very impressive as well.
Reply 17
Congrats gossipqueen! Do you know which of the summer schemes you're doing yet?
Reply 18
Thanks!! I think the middle summer one - 9th July...do you have one too? :smile:
Reply 19
Yep. I think we may be on the same one...

Latest

Trending

Trending