The Student Room Group

Medicine work experience

Hi. I'm 16 years old and my dream is to become a doctor/surgeon. Last week I sent an email to my local hospital to find out if I can do work experience over there , however they said they don't accept any work experience applications. I also applied to St John's Ambulance and it looks like they will accept me.

What else can I do in order to do some work experience relevant to medicine? I heard that I can volunteer in a charity shop but is there anything else I can do to increase my chances of getting to medicine? Thanks
Volunteer at a retirement home.
Volunteering might be the best idea :biggrin: Would Apprenticeship also work?
Reply 3
Wow! feels like we're on the same page I intend to take internship/s as well before actually trying to study films :biggrin:
I'm in a very similar situation as local hospitals and GPs don't seem to be willing to organise work experience or shadow work.
Instead I volunteer at a local Sue Ryder hospice and have done for months.
It will look amazing on your personal statement and it shows dedication and perseverance

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lucas_Wojtysiak
Hi. I'm 16 years old and my dream is to become a doctor/surgeon. Last week I sent an email to my local hospital to find out if I can do work experience over there , however they said they don't accept any work experience applications. I also applied to St John's Ambulance and it looks like they will accept me.

What else can I do in order to do some work experience relevant to medicine? I heard that I can volunteer in a charity shop but is there anything else I can do to increase my chances of getting to medicine? Thanks

The NHS do a 15 week volunteering scheme at a hospital but it depends on where abouts you live.

Try retirement homes
Hospices
Schools

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending