The Student Room Group

Should I swap Universities?

Hi fellow TSR members,

I made a thread the other day about being homesick and whether I should move to a University closer to home; the homesickness is going away! Feeling a lot better about being at the University now, getting on better with flat mates - we don't talk much apart from when cooking dinner or just chilling out.

The issue that I am now faced with is that the course I have chosen contains more written exams which I initially chose the course because it was more coursework based. Coursework is what I am better at due to going to college and studying a BTEC. I was not very good at exams but maybe that was because I was not interested in the subjects that were offered at GCSE?

So my question is do I move from my current University (everything is great but the exams has put me off the course) and go to a University which is closer to home, offers the same course but with the course being predominately coursework based? Bearing in mind, the modules that are offered at the other University are not as good.

I've been accepted by two Universities that I have emailed about whether I could transfer for their course starting 2015. I'm just looking for any advice that anyone can offer me about what I should do? Or whether someone has been in this situation before?
Original post by dunno203
Hi fellow TSR members,

I made a thread the other day about being homesick and whether I should move to a University closer to home; the homesickness is going away! Feeling a lot better about being at the University now, getting on better with flat mates - we don't talk much apart from when cooking dinner or just chilling out.

The issue that I am now faced with is that the course I have chosen contains more written exams which I initially chose the course because it was more coursework based. Coursework is what I am better at due to going to college and studying a BTEC. I was not very good at exams but maybe that was because I was not interested in the subjects that were offered at GCSE?

So my question is do I move from my current University (everything is great but the exams has put me off the course) and go to a University which is closer to home, offers the same course but with the course being predominately coursework based? Bearing in mind, the modules that are offered at the other University are not as good.

I've been accepted by two Universities that I have emailed about whether I could transfer for their course starting 2015. I'm just looking for any advice that anyone can offer me about what I should do? Or whether someone has been in this situation before?

Is your dislike of your current course purely due to it being more exam based or are the other things you dislike about it too?
University exams are different to what you will have done for gcse so I would do some research into what the exams you'll be expected to do are like then it should give you a more informed way of making a decision.
Reply 2
It's purely because it is more exam based. As for the rest of the course, it's fantastic! Yeah thanks for the advice, I'll ask my tutor tomorrow before I make a decision!
My two cents is that if I was you i wouldn't transfer. But, my friend, only you can decide, :smile:

I know people who transferred and ended up dropping out, realising the grass isn't greener on the other side. Not saying it would happen to you, but speaking to them they were shocked how hard it was to adjust. You really should go with what course you think you prefer.

Furthermore, Im not sure what year you're in, but if its first year this exam technically won't count towards your grade and you can learn from it. Also, as a previous poster stated, the exams are so different from GCSE's. You could argue the other courses suit more to your learning style, but the fact you've quoted that the course is fantastic for me that would strongly outweigh the exam side of it.

Quick Reply

Latest