The Student Room Group

What uni for CS

These are my offers:

Bath (CS 80% with Bus 20%) with placement year - ABB
Surrey (CS 50% and Bus 50%) - Informal interview
Lancaster combined science (CS + 2 other subjects) - BCC
Queens (CS 100%) with placement year - BCC
Sussex (CS 100%) - ABB

Looking at league tables + other info I reckon Bath and Surrey are best choices. Surrey have told me I can take a placement year, but I have to find it myself (how hard would this be? - Bath already has links set up with loads of companies).

I have a CS open day + informal interview at Surrey next week. What should I expect?

Advice about choices, unis etc welcome.
If a placement year is important to you, go for a university that has links (e.g. Bath), especially if the placement year is compulsory.

Bear in mind that a placement year, in most cases, will not be fantastically interesting, unless you're one of the blessed few who gets on the IBM programme and similar things.
Reply 2
You seem to undervalue it? I am under the belief that it will be very useful as I will have some experience under my belt for when I finish my degree. Also it will help with the final year. I remember reading some statistics from Bath that people who take the placement year generally get higher grades.
Experience is useful, but there are always summer internships. It's a personal choice. Before I got my current job, I had no relevant experience. The last job I had was sweeping floors.
Reply 4
Waldo Dobbs
Experience is useful, but there are always summer internships. It's a personal choice. Before I got my current job, I had no relevant experience. The last job I had was sweeping floors.

if you do choose a year and industry and you do get one.... will it be like good?.... i mean it wont be like year 10 wrk experince will it ? :p: ... where they just tell you to make the tea and that :s-smilie: .... im picking a year in industry for expereience and i really hope that year will be useful :s-smilie:

Latest

Trending

Trending