The Student Room Group

AQA FP2 HELP! (picture included)

I'm having trouble with 8iii. Any help would be greatly appreciated :smile: (It goes without saying, don't post fully solutions)

P.S I don't use the substitution method*
P.S.S Yes I have made a stupid mistake with values for sum, product and double product of roots :colondollar:. I just need help getting in the right form
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
where is everybody?
something on TV?
Reply 2
Original post by TeeEm
where is everybody?
something on TV?

Rugby maybe? I don't suppose you could help me?
Reply 3
Original post by JPencil
Rugby maybe? I don't suppose you could help me?

At the moment I am working on a paper and I am brain dead ...
I am sure someone will come along.
Original post by TeeEm
where is everybody?
something on TV?

:laugh: I guess because it's Saturday night
Original post by JPencil
I'm having trouble with 8iii. Any help would be greatly appreciated :smile: (It goes without saying, don't post fully solutions)

P.S I don't use the substitution method*

Substitution is the easiest method for this question.

You might want to check your values for the sum and product and double product of the original roots.
Reply 6
Original post by morgan8002
Substitution is the easiest method for this question.

You might want to check your values for the sum and product and double product of the original roots.

I just realised the mistake with the values :/ Any help with getting the right form??
Original post by JPencil
I just realised the mistake with the values :/ Any help with getting the right form??

Redo the sum and double product of the new roots by subbing in the corrected values. Then start again on the product starting from (α+β)(β+γ)(α+γ)(\alpha + \beta)(\beta + \gamma)(\alpha + \gamma). Try to find a way to simplify it straight away.
Original post by JPencil

Following your method, you get terms of the form alpha^2.beta. How can you make terms like that from your building blocks ( of sum, sum of products and product) ?

Also - I'd look at your notation. You use the same Greek letters for the roots of the original equation and the different roots of your new equation. It's clear what you mean but the algebra is wrong.

Quick Reply

Latest