The Student Room Group

UK should disassociate itself from Syria

It's clear the unexpected consequences of millions of refugees coming to Europe was not well thought through. But we have a more dangerous situation now:

- Russia have intervened with some what moderate military presence
- Russia is extremely close to the UK and is a genuine super power
- We're heading for a global recession (where war looks more enticing)
- It's clear UK's elite are detached from the average Brit (Oil/arms interests) - most Brit's don't want war or to be involved in Syria.
Why do you keep saying that we're going into a recession. We're not, we're in the best position of whole west. US is going through political instability, Eurozones gone to s**t, Russia is an economic plankton, China is going through an economic slowdown and Mudlim world isn't going anywhere. It's coming up trumps for the UK.
Reply 2
Original post by MrKmas508
Why do you keep saying that we're going into a recession. We're not, we're in the best position of whole west. US is going through political instability, Eurozones gone to s**t, Russia is an economic plankton, China is going through an economic slowdown and Mudlim world isn't going anywhere. It's coming up trumps for the UK.

Lol you'll see. But as i said a global recession is likely this is more to do with China, US who control the majority of world trade. UK only accounts for like 6%.
Just let Russia wipe out Isis by backing Assad. Problem is Yanks and UK prob dont want Russia controlling oil pipelines through Syria
Reply 4
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Just let Russia wipe out Isis by backing Assad. Problem is Yanks and UK prob dont want Russia controlling oil pipelines through Syria

Dave has backed down as i predicted. "Dave is willing to let Assad stay" HAHA
Reply 5
Stay well out of it & let Syria get on with it, it will only cost the UK money & lives of UK soldiers and any possible solution will just make it worse like Libya/Iraq etc. Close our borders & don't let any of them into the UK & let Syria sort it out, both ISIS & Assad are mad & the UK should help neither
Hello

I found this question really interesting, because I am a Syrian citizen (and British citizen) currently living in England (it has been 2 years, 6 months and 13 days, I have been counting).

Anyways, I don't think the UK should disassociate itself from Syria (especially the refugees). I believe England should help Syria (or Syrian refugees in other words), and protect itself from all the dangerous things that are going on their at the moment, because I believe it's the right and kind thing to do.

Also England could help Syria by donations and other ways, it doesn't have to be SO deep.
Reply 7
Original post by lourdsabbaghx
Hello

I found this question really interesting, because I am a Syrian citizen (and British citizen) currently living in England (it has been 2 years, 6 months and 13 days, I have been counting).

Anyways, I don't think the UK should disassociate itself from Syria (especially the refugees). I believe England should help Syria (or Syrian refugees in other words), and protect itself from all the dangerous things that are going on their at the moment, because I believe it's the right and kind thing to do.

Also England could help Syria by donations and other ways, it doesn't have to be SO deep.

Thanks. I think we should be helping Syrian people through donations and taking refugees. I'm just saying i don't think we should be involved militarily now since Russia is involved.
Reply 8
Original post by Ace123
Stay well out of it & let Syria get on with it, it will only cost the UK money & lives of UK soldiers and any possible solution will just make it worse like Libya/Iraq etc. Close our borders & don't let any of them into the UK & let Syria sort it out, both ISIS & Assad are mad & the UK should help neither

haha

UK supplies ISIS directly or indirectly
Dave always wanted to be involved in Syria but now he doesn't since the big boys Russia have arrived.
Impossible to "close our borders"
Dave wanted to topple Assad, Assad has been trying to sort it for years!
Deluded
Original post by Bill_Gates
It's clear the unexpected consequences of millions of refugees coming to Europe was not well thought through. But we have a more dangerous situation now:

- Russia have intervened with some what moderate military presence
- Russia is extremely close to the UK and is a genuine super power
- We're heading for a global recession (where war looks more enticing)
- It's clear UK's elite are detached from the average Brit (Oil/arms interests) - most Brit's don't want war or to be involved in Syria.

Russia being a superpower is highly debatable. Public opinion is also hardening in favour of escalating the war in Syria by 15 points (46% in favour vs 31% against).
Thanks. I think we should be helping Syrian people through donations and taking refugees. I'm just saying i don't think we should be involved militarily now since Russia is involved.

I agree with you. :smile:
Original post by pol pot noodles
Russia being a superpower is highly debatable. Public opinion is also hardening in favour of escalating the war in Syria by 15 points (46% in favour vs 31% against).

It is very much so. Who do you think are superpowers?

UK Won't be doing jack in Syria now. Dave's said Assad can stay lmao
It is very much so. Who do you think are superpowers?

UK Won't be doing jack in Syria now. Dave's said Assad can stay lmao

Well either both the UK and Russia are or neither are. There's very little on paper that Russia actually beats the UK in. The main difference is that Russia has little qualm in flexing it's diplomatic and military muscle while in Britain everything is second and triple guessed as illegal, warmongering or unnecessary.

Second part was in reference to public opinion. The claim was that the public doesn't want to get involved in Syria and that politicians advocating escalation are out of touch.
Well either both the UK and Russia are or neither are. There's very little on paper that Russia actually beats the UK in. The main difference is that Russia has little qualm in flexing it's diplomatic and military muscle while in Britain everything is second and triple guessed as illegal, warmongering or unnecessary.

Second part was in reference to public opinion. The claim was that the public doesn't want to get involved in Syria and that politicians advocating escalation are out of touch.

lol

1. United States
2. Russia
3. China
4. India
5. United Kingdom

This is taking everything in context in terms of global firepower. The UK is pushing above it's weight. Hence why Dave took a notoriously big U turn on his position of Assad and said he could stay whereas the USA did not. Plus UK is steadily on the decline (cut backs).
Reply 14

Russia is the largest country in the world with the biggest stockpile of nuclear weapons, they could disable us easily (even with trident)

We're just considered a US and Israeli military base incase another huge war in Europe breaks out
Original post by Cataldo
Russia is the largest country in the world with the biggest stockpile of nuclear weapons, they could disable us easily (even with trident)

We're just considered a US and Israeli military base incase another huge war in Europe breaks out

Exactly anyone who thinks the UK can hold it's own to Russia is absolutely mad. Even the USA is proceeding with caution.
lol

1. United States
2. Russia
3. China
4. India
5. United Kingdom

This is taking everything in context in terms of global firepower. The UK is pushing above it's weight. Hence why Dave took a notoriously big U turn on his position of Assad and said he could stay whereas the USA did not. Plus UK is steadily on the decline (cut backs).

Global Fire Power clearly puts too much weight on quantity when conducting it's rankings. Russia has loads of tanks, artillery, planes etc., no one denies that. You think Russia's economy is going to be able to fund a full scale war?
Original post by Cataldo

If Russia wanted to nuke the UK of course they could 'disable' us, but it would come at the cost of all of their western population centres. Mutually assured destruction.
'We're just considered a…Israeli military base'? Get off it. Israeli military worship is something I'll never understand. Not even sure how our diplomatic relations in anyway shape or form equates to the UK being their military base. British self-deprecation at it's finest.
Global Fire Power clearly puts too much weight on quantity when conducting it's rankings. Russia has loads of tanks, artillery, planes etc., no one denies that. You think Russia's economy is going to be able to fund a full scale war?

haha yes when it has some of the largest oil and gas reserves in the world!?
haha yes when it has some of the largest oil and gas reserves in the world!?

It also has a smaller economy than even Italy, weak growth, rampant corruption, underdeveloped capital markets, and a huge ass deficit. Russia has been completely and totally unable to deal with Western financial sanctions. The amount of worship Russia gets in the UK is bizarre.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending