The Student Room Group

How does paying off student loans work?

By the time they/re done with uni, most students will have a debt of at least 50k pounds and making around 23k a year. 50k is huge, how much of your 23k a year are supposed to be going to paying off loans? Let's assume 5k, which if far from negligible. It would take you 10 years to pay off your loan which is a very long time. Is this really how things work in UK? Putting people in debt slavery for years right after they graduate?

Scroll to see replies

When you earn £21k you pay it back with your tax. My bf pays £30 a month and will probably be paying that for many years, however without his degree he wouldn't be earning that much and have a future potential earning of higher than that :smile: so you can call it debt slavoury, or employment freedom - not stuck in low skilled jobs
You pay back 9% of what you earn over £21k. So if you earn under £21k, you don't pay back anything.
Reply 3
I am never paying off my student debt lol.
Reply 4
I paid mine off after I qualified. They were taking off so much a month out of my salary. I celebrated when they took my last payment 👏🏼
Reply 5
Original post by mrno1324
By the time they/re done with uni, most students will have a debt of at least 50k pounds and making around 23k a year. 50k is huge, how much of your 23k a year are supposed to be going to paying off loans? Let's assume 5k, which if far from negligible. It would take you 10 years to pay off your loan which is a very long time. Is this really how things work in UK? Putting people in debt slavery for years right after they graduate?

http://www.studentloanrepayment.co.uk/portal/page?_pageid=93,6678490&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

The earnings threshold is:

£333 a week

£1,444 a month

£17,335 a year

You pay 9% of anything you earn over the threshold.
So if you earned £23k forever, and assuming no interest on the loans (though i think the effective interest rate is currently like 1.5% p.a.), it would take you 98 years to repay £50k of debt.

ofc the key assumption is that you won't be making £23k forever.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:u:K_Income_by_Age_and_Gender.png

^Looking at this chart, it suggest for most people the peak salary they earn over their career is around 2/3rds higher than the salary they started on as a graduate (20-24 age band). So a very rough assumption if you assume average salary over their career is roughly 1/3rd higher than their grad salary, if you earned 23k upon graduating, than means average salary over your career would be roughly £31k, under which assumption it would take about 40 years to repay 50k of debt - which is pretty much how long people work for.

Long story short, current level of tuition fees suggest that most people are going to be paying student loans off for the rest of their career :O
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by MAINE.
http://www.studentloanrepayment.co.uk/portal/page?_pageid=93,6678490&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL

So if you earned £23k forever, and assuming no interest on the loans (though i think the effective interest rate is currently like 1.5% p.a.), it would take you 98 years to repay £50k of debt.

ofc the key assumption is that you won't be making £23k forever.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:u:K_Income_by_Age_and_Gender.png

^Looking at this chart, it suggest for most people the peak salary they earn over their career is around 2/3rds higher than the salary they started on as a graduate (20-24 age band). So a very rough assumption if you assume average salary over their career is roughly 1/3rd higher than their grad salary, if you earned 23k upon graduating, than means average salary over your career would be roughly £31k, under which assumption it would take about 40 years to repay 50k of debt - which is pretty much how long people work for.

Long story short, current level of tuition fees suggest that most people are going to be paying student loans off for the rest of their career :O

It gets written off after 30 years, so no, people aren't paying it for the rest of their lives.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Salon
I paid mine off after I qualified. They were taking off so much a month out of my salary. I celebrated when they took my last payment 👏🏼

Mind if I ask how much you were earning and how long it took to pay the whole thing off?
Reply 8
Mind if I ask how much you were earning and how long it took to pay the whole thing off?

At the time I was earning 24K (15 years ago) but I managed to pay it off within 8 years. Not bad hey. it was an achievement but it all depends on how much loan you have taken out. I took 9k I think. I can't seem to remember now.
Reply 9
Original post by Salon
At the time I was earning 24K (15 years ago) but I managed to pay it off within 8 years. Not bad hey. it was an achievement but it all depends on how much loan you have taken out. I took 9k I think. I can't seem to remember now.

Yeah nowadays it's 36k just for tuition. Well f*ck.
Reply 10
Putting people in debt slavery for years right after they graduate?

Debt slavery? It's the most generous form of financial lending you'll ever receive. Indeed the terms of repayment are uniquely accommodating to your financial situation and the loan gets written off after a set time anyway.

A more accurate portrayal would be to consider it a 'Graduate Tax'.
Reply 11
Yeah nowadays it's 36k just for tuition. Well f*ck.

I feel sorry for students now. It's so unfair. Vote labour. The leader wants to get rid of student fees and replace it with grants. What do out think about that?
(edited 8 years ago)
You'll probably never pay it off fully, it will just be anothet stupid expense you have to pay each month. Assuming you have the slim chance of getting a grad job, it may be worth it.
Reply 13
Yeah nowadays it's 36k just for tuition.

More like £27k for the majority.
Reply 14
Original post by Reue
Debt slavery? It's the most generous form of financial lending you'll ever receive. Indeed the terms of repayment are uniquely accommodating to your financial situation and the loan gets written off after a set time anyway.

A more accurate portrayal would be to consider it a 'Graduate Tax'.

Tuition is free in a lot of countries less developed than UK. Also 9k a year is way too much. I wouldn't mind it if I was done with it after 5 years, but having your salary maimed for 30 years? I won't enjoy that.
Reply 15
Tuition is free in a lot of countries less developed than UK.

Then go to those countries. There's several in the EU which are free.

Also 9k a year is way too much.

9k a year still doesn't cover the actual cost. It's a subsidised rate.

I wouldn't mind it if I was done with it after 5 years, but having your salary maimed for 30 years? I won't enjoy that.

Then don't go to university if you don't think the benefits outweigh the costs. It's a choice you have and are free to make. Clearly, for all their moaning about tuition fee increases, alot of people do still consider it a worthwhile investment.
Original post by Salon
I feel sorry for students now. It's so unfair. Vote labour. The leader wants to get rid of student fees and replace it with grants. What do out think about that?

So he can tax us through the roof so we aren't making any net gain, while ruining the economy at the same time. I don't think too highly of that at all :L
Reply 17
Original post by Jonny360
So he can tax us through the roof so we aren't making any net gain, while ruining the economy at the same time. I don't think too highly of that at all :L

Vote labour. Unless you pretty wealthy then you should get taxed at a higher rate.
Reply 18
Original post by Reue
Why are you on a discussion forum if you're unable to enter into discussions?

Ok. So "you don't like it here, so go away." is discussion? Obviously I like UK and want to stay here. I just think the student loans system could use improvement and it's far from impossible. It's what the new leader of labour is suggesting. Everyone got this, but you. Idk why.
Are you some kind of bleeding heart patriot and won't admit when something is imperfect about your country?
Education is a human right and it is in interest of humanity as a collective to educate as much people as they can so we can all keep progressing. It should be free, as many civilised EU countries have recognised. UK keeps being a d*ck for some reason.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 19
Ok. So "you don't like it here, so go away." is discussion? Obviously I like UK and want to stay here. I just think the student loans system could use improvement and it's far from impossible. It't what the new leader of labour is suggesting. Everyone got this, but you. Idk why.

Clearly not everyone got this. Labour lost the last general election and it's new leader did not get 100% of the contest vote either.

Are you some kind of bleeding heart patriot and won't admit when something is imperfect about your country.

An odd conclusion to jump to.

Education is a human right

Education up to 18 is a right in this country. Beyond that and you have no right to it.

and it is in interest of humanity as a collective to educate as much people as they can so we can all keep progressing. It should be free, as many civilised EU countries have recognised.

It is not in the interest of humanity to have a large proportion of people living off of state subsidises just to graduate and end up working in McDonalds because there aren't enough graduate jobs to go around. I find it impossible to believe that anything other than a tiny tiny minority of university attendees will have any real impact on the interests of humanity.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending