The Student Room Group

Taking 2 weeks off now during AS's.

Well basically my grandparents who live in Kenya have become really ill :frown: , and therefore my family has decided to visit them. Im just wondering the negative impact it would have on my studies as i would miss quite a considerable number of lessons. My teachers have made 4 "A" grade predictions, but im worried i wouldnt be able to meet them. Damn, i couldn't possibly live on my own. :frown:

Can someone recommend me what i should do? I will be taking some work, but exactly how much is required?

All recommendations appreciated.
Reply 1
I would go, yes your studies are important but really your family is much more important. I don't know how close you are to them but I think you'd regret not going.

If I were you I'd take as much work as I would be comfortable with. Clearly you are an intelligent student so you shouldn't have to worry falling behind too much. Ask your teachers about what they're going to cover in the next couple of weeks so you know what to revise.
Reply 2
Morgan covered it all.
ask for email addresses from your teachers so that you can keep in contact - and have a fax machine number ready for emergencies
Reply 4
At our college our teachers regularly email us so this is a good idea.

There is always that saying, "blah blah blah ...at least you have your health" now I know that this is not your health, but it is someone's very close to you and it is important that you see them. Judging by your GCSE grades you're extremely capable, thus it should be too much of a problem - however ASs are not just about gaining grades, but more importantly UMS points. So this is a tough one.

Personally, I'd go and then just work my socks off when I got back. Taking some work is a good idea, but not too much as I think that I'd much prefer to have some time with my family to relax and concentrate on them, as opposed to stressing yourself out. Your AS exams will go so much better if you are calm as opposed to stressing out over them and this period could chill you out. Go for it!!!
Reply 5
Speak to your teachers? They will probably be able to give you advice about what you need to do.
Reply 6
ok alright..will do. I leave one next sunday for 2 weeks. Just found out.
Reply 7
i hope your grandparents get better
:smile:
Right choice mate.
If this was A2 it might be slighlty different, AS are a nobrainer. Like other shave said you seem like a bright dude. Even if you dont work during the 2 weeks (which will only be 10 days of school) it won't impact on you that much.
When you get back, get setteled in a quickly as possible.

I hope your family get better soon.

Slick
Go- your family is more important. 2 weeks isn't that much really and you can ask your teachers for some work to take with you. You'll have to work a bit while you're away and play catch up for a while when you get back, but it should be fine. I hope your grandparents get better.
Reply 10
Same here mate - go for it!! Two weeks isn't vitally vital, and we're not in the thick of revision at the moment, so don't worry to much about college work.
By any chance would the 2 weeks fall during the Easter holidays? Then it might not be as detrimental to your work.

To echo the others, I would definitely go. Corresponding with your teachers by email is a good idea. Perhaps you should ask now what the teachers are going to cover in the next 2 weeks, and get the work off from them now so that you can take some work with you or work your socks off during the Easter holidays. At the end of the day, 2 weeks of work isn't a huge deal to catch up on (imagine if you were gone for, say, a month) and family are more important - you may regret it forever if you don't go.
With Easter coming I wouldn't stress out too much over not being in for two weeks, because if you haven't caught up by the time Easter comes you can always catch up in the holidays, your family are more important, hope they get better :smile:
Reply 13
Excalibur
By any chance would the 2 weeks fall during the Easter holidays? Then it might not be as detrimental to your work.

To echo the others, I would definitely go. Corresponding with your teachers by email is a good idea. Perhaps you should ask now what the teachers are going to cover in the next 2 weeks, and get the work off from them now so that you can take some work with you or work your socks off during the Easter holidays. At the end of the day, 2 weeks of work isn't a huge deal to catch up on (imagine if you were gone for, say, a month) and family are more important - you may regret it forever if you don't go.

2 weeks from next week, then the 2 weeks of easter holidays as well. so overall 4 weeks. Therefore i MUST take all the work.

Thanks guys, you have been supportive.
Happyness
2 weeks from next week, then the 2 weeks of easter holidays as well. so overall 4 weeks. Therefore i MUST take all the work.

Thanks guys, you have been supportive.

I hope it all goes ok for you: I have a friend who has taken 5 weeks off, on and off, and everything is fine for her :smile: Just keep in contact, work while you're there if you can, and do work when you get back. As Junko said, 2 weeks isn't too bad.

Hope your grandparents get better soon :smile:

Latest