Scroll to see replies

Original post by CoolCavy
da pig is back :biggrin:

Yay :h:
da pig is back :biggrin:

I like this one the best too :tongue:
Original post by Fango_Jett
I mean if we took all the food we put towards growing animals and gave it to people instead, we could probably feed asia a few times over.

But yeah, not going to happen.

What are you on about????
Original post by Leviathan1741
Yay :h:

Original post by Keyhofi
I like this one the best too :tongue:

whoop ! ginger pig FTW :biggrin:
Original post by Keyhofi

i think he means rearing animals such as cattle is inefficient as the crops grown to feed the cattle could feed humans (or guinea pigs :biggrin:) instead. By having an extra member in the food chain energy is lost at each stage, as is water, land and resources. :smile:
Original post by Keyhofi

We use an exorbitant amount of food, land, water (money?) to grow animals for slaughter. Like a really big amount.

If you simply took/limited that food, you could probably feed Asia a few times over.
i think he means rearing animals such as cattle is inefficient as the crops grown to feed the cattle could feed humans (or guinea pigs :biggrin:) instead. By having an extra member in the food chain energy is lost at each stage, as is water, land and resources. :smile:

We use an exorbitant amount of food, land, water (money?) to grow animals for slaughter. Like a really big amount.

If you simply took/limited that food, you could probably feed Asia a few times over.

Yeah but I don't want to eat grass. Feed grass to the cows instead.
Original post by Keyhofi

You could use that nutrient rich grassland for growing other plants. You are aware what growing plants entails? Soil/nutrients.

You are aware animals eat other food than grass right? Corn, Soybeans, etc.
Original post by Keyhofi

or the guinea pigs:

btw i don't actually advocate giving guinea pigs grass bc of the parasites that lay their eggs on grass. Also hay grinds down their teeth better and is more nutritious :h:
You could use that nutrient rich grassland for growing other plants. You are aware what growing plants entails? Soil/nutrients.

You are aware animals eat other food than grass right? Corn, Soybeans, etc.

Mhm, but grass grows well on land that is not suitable for other crops. Also, I really like bacon. Let's not get rid of the bacon farms. If anything we should rear a wider variety of animals because that will give more choice in the shops. Also, also, we should stop growing what seems to be only potatoes and cabbage and start growing different things.

I don't want to eat potato and cabbage all the time -.-
Original post by Keyhofi
We produce enough food to give every person in this world a healthy life. There is even enough leftover to feed another half a planet.

So why are the prices in supermarkets so high and why can I never find what I want? -.- smh

You have to produce food, pay workers, pay for transport to deliver it, then the shops add a market. Food is as cheap as it'll be until we either progress technology or increase agricultural subsidies.
Original post by United1892
You have to produce food, pay workers, pay for transport to deliver it, then the shops add a market. Food is as cheap as it'll be until we either progress technology or increase agricultural subsidies.

Or until there is an Aldi within walking distance of my house.
I find supermarkets relatively cheap tbh.

Except Tesco + Sainsburys

Then again, if I buy generic stuff it's usually smart price soo cheap as chips
Original post by Keyhofi
Or until there is an Aldi within walking distance of my house.

It won't be much cheaper in aldi.
also in all seriousness cheap meat = cruelty

battery/factory farms are cheaper than free range for a reason:

warning images of factory farms (upsetting):

Spoiler

Original post by Keyhofi
Mhm, but grass grows well on land that is not suitable for other crops. Also, I really like bacon. Let's not get rid of the bacon farms. If anything we should rear a wider variety of animals because that will give more choice in the shops. Also, also, we should stop growing what seems to be only potatoes and cabbage and start growing different things.

I don't want to eat potato and cabbage all the time -.-

Cows eat other things apart from grass. Corn/hay/soy as well.

Not in the places the kind that cows eat if I'm not mistaken. Only some crappy ones like where switchgrass.

Hence why its not going to happen. People like the taste. Not really wrong, it''s just how it is.

I've been (mostly) vegetarian for a long time due to a tick bite, but if you start looking around different cuisines you don't have to rely on British muck like overboiled cabbage and peas.

Not in the places the kind that cows eat if I'm not mistaken. Only some crappy ones like where switchgrass.

Hence why its not going to happen. People like the taste. Not really wrong, it''s just how it is.

I've been (mostly) vegetarian for a long time due to a tick bite, but if you start looking around different cuisines you don't have to rely on British muck like overboiled cabbage and peas.

agree. :h:
hey ive heard of that before, it was in the news a while back about how a tick bite caused meat intolerance.

Yeah, gets back to my original point. I am in the middle of nowhere and all this good food is elsewhere :/
agree. :h:
hey ive heard of that before, it was in the news a while back about how a tick bite caused meat intolerance.

Yeah I got bitten by the lone star tick as a kid. Meat allergy ever since. I can have pork, chicken, and some seafood, but anything apart from that in large amounts I get nauseous and throw it all up. Kinda sucks, but oh well. Life goes on.

Original post by Keyhofi
Yeah, gets back to my original point. I am in the middle of nowhere and all this good food is elsewhere :/

It's not very hard with some effort. Look up some Thai, Chinese, Indian, and Japanese food on Google. You can make them really easily as long as you're half decent around a kitchen, and it's quite cheap. I make stir fry, curry, sushi, ramen, yakisoba, fried rice all the time, and they taste great to me.

I can usually make all my 21 meals a week fresh for under 35 pounds a week (To be fair I do live in the north).
also in all seriousness cheap meat = cruelty

battery/factory farms are cheaper than free range for a reason:

Honestly battery farms are quite disgusting. The way cows and pigs sit in their own filth for months on end is pretty foul. I mean the least you can do is hire a few people to clean it out once in a while.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending