The Student Room Group

So, did you end up dropping out?

Every other post seems to be from people who have really struggled during Freshers and are considering whether to drop out of uni.

This was me two years ago. I hated the place from day one. I drink but can't see the point of going out simply with the aim of getting plastered and so had little in common with my flat and hall mates. I just became more and more depressed and ended up dropping out at Christmas and vowed I would never set foot in a university again.

Fast forward a year and I made a very last minute application (August!) to a more local uni to do a different course. (I still lived in halls despite being within commuting distance). The first year wasn't all plain sailing socially but academically I passed with a high 2:1 and I have just started my second year.

For the benefit of those having a really **** time at the moment it would be interesting to see what happened to those who have been in a similar situation two or three years ago. Did you drop out? Did you stick it out for a bit? Did you go on to graduate? Might give these freshers some hope!
Left University of Manchester after 3 days last year due to medical reasons. I was gonna go back this year but I realised that it was not worth my time(I was going to study Biochem but anything Bio seems pure unemployable in the job market along with all the liberal arts fluff) so I joined the navy instead.
Reply 2
I had a REALLY rough time in my first year. I didn't party, drink much, or much like the 'student' stereotype, so kept myself out of the way for the most part of freshers...and therefore didn't meet many people. I had also convinced myself that due to my poor A Level grades (DE) the University had made a mistake in accepting me and that I was going to be sent packing as soon as they realised the error. (Ah, paranoia!)

Add to this that at the time I moved seven hours away to university I was awaiting a message from the CPS as to whether a case I had brought charges in was going to court or not, and I had no clue as to when that (or if that) would happen, and you have one very insecure, uncertain, lonely, fearful first year who almost avoided contact instead of seeking it.

I really struggled. It took me until my second year to really feel settled at Uni (when the trial had occurred, and it was clear the uni had no intention of kicking me out; and hey! I was actually doing well in my coursework!) but what little social contact I did have (Choir, Performing Arts Soc) gave me enough grounding in my first year to push through the despondency and insecurity to actually keep me trying to succeed.

I graduate in October, having been through that trial in my first year and a diagnosis of depression in my third, with a 2:1 (Hons) in Special Educational Needs, and will be starting work at my old College as a Curriculum Support Assistant to students in the 6th Form with additional needs.

To anyone struggling and feeling like they 'can't do' Uni:
You can do it. You can get through anything with the right support and grounding. Sometimes your fears are what stops you in your tracks, and - speaking from experience - they're usually wrong. You are capable. You are able. And you have support and friends, be it on campus or on here. You CAN, and you WILL succeed. Put your mind and heart into it, and it will pay off.

And good luck. The road might seem rough, but it's a journey worth making.

Josée
x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending