The Student Room Group

Mature applicant academic qualifications

Hello,

I am in my early twenties looking ahead to applying to Oxford for history (undergraduate). Although I exceeded the standard offer in my A-Levels in strong subjects, it has been more than three years since I finished them, and the university's website clearly states that 'it’s essential that you have also undertaken formal academic qualifications within the three years before you apply'. Unfortunately, the link they provide to further information on acceptable qualifications doesn't provide many options suitable for a mature applicant other than (presumably) re-doing A-Levels or equivalent. I heard something about an open university foundation degree but can find nothing about this in their prospectus. I have also heard about a history foundation degree at Oxford's Department of Continuing Education but it currently seems to be inactive.

I would be very grateful if people in the know on this might spill the beans on any and all of the academic qualifications I can do as a mature applicant to mount a competitive application, and any differences you know of in the strength of each qualification type in the context of an Oxford application.

Thanks
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by a noble chance
Hello,

I am in my early twenties looking ahead to applying to Oxford for history (undergraduate). Although I exceeded the standard offer in my A-Levels in strong subjects, it has been more than three years since I finished them, and the university's website clearly states that 'it’s essential that you have also undertaken formal academic qualifications within the three years before you apply'. Unfortunately, the link they provide to further information on acceptable qualifications doesn't provide many options suitable for a mature applicant other than (presumably) re-doing A-Levels or equivalent. I heard something about an open university foundation degree but can find nothing about this in their prospectus. I have also heard about a history foundation degree at Oxford's Department of Continuing Education but it currently seems to be inactive.

I would be very grateful if people in the know on this might spill the beans on any and all of the academic qualifications I can do as a mature applicant to mount a competitive application, and any differences you know of in the strength of each qualification type in the context of an Oxford application. I have e-mailed the appropriate person at Oxford on this subject but have not yet received a reply and would like to get on with all this as quickly as possible.

Thanks

Your best bet is to wait for a reply (although Oxford admissions sometimes take annoyingly long to get back to you). Have you looked into a one-year Level 3 Access to HE diploma? I remember reading that, while Oxford accepts it as equivalent to qualifications being taken by school leavers (such as A Levels, the IB, Scottish Highers etc.), they usually require that these courses be ones that have competitive entry (which the OU course might not satisfy).

It also said on the same page that, unless you apply to Harris Manchester (Oxford's mature-only college), you'll be in open competition with school leavers. So you need to contact them directly about it and ask them to be candid about whether they consider Access diplomas and other such qualifications as being on par with A Levels and equivalent qualifications. I suggest phoning them if they take too long to reply because the 15 October deadline for applications is looming.

Good luck. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by a noble chance
Hello,

I am in my early twenties looking ahead to applying to Oxford for history (undergraduate)...I have also heard about a history foundation degree at Oxford's Department of Continuing Education but it currently seems to be inactive.

I would be very grateful if people in the know on this might spill the beans on any and all of the academic qualifications I can do as a mature applicant to mount a competitive application.

Hi, my route to Oxford as a mature student was via the Cont Ed Foundation Certificate (not foundation degree) that you mention. It's far from inactive, but it will be marked as unavailable at the moment because a new course is just starting. So you are too late for that one and too early for next year.

The Found Cert is the equivalent of the first year of the Oxford degree, but spread over two years. Once successfully completed you have the points for entry direct into year two of a History degree at a number of universities. If you do well enough to make a competitive application to Oxford, and if that's what you want to do, you have to go through exactly the same process as all other applicants, in competition with them. Some years nobody is successful and other years two or three get in.

While doing the Found Cert you are an Oxford student, with a Bod (library) card. You can attend the same lectures as full time students and join clubs & societies etc. You are also getting used to the kind of essays that are required at Oxford.

By all means ask me anything about Found Cert History at OUDCE, or studying History at Oxford as a mature student. Prob'ly best to do it in this thread, rather than PM-ing me, cos then others may find it useful too.

Good luck :smile:
Original post by shoshin
Hi, my route to Oxford as a mature student was via the Cont Ed Foundation Certificate (not foundation degree) that you mention. It's far from inactive, but it will be marked as unavailable at the moment because a new course is just starting. So you are too late for that one and too early for next year.

The Found Cert is the equivalent of the first year of the Oxford degree, but spread over two years. Once successfully completed you have the points for entry direct into year two of a History degree at a number of universities. If you do well enough to make a competitive application to Oxford, and if that's what you want to do, you have to go through exactly the same process as all other applicants, in competition with them. Some years nobody is successful and other years two or three get in.

While doing the Found Cert you are an Oxford student, with a Bod (library) card. You can attend the same lectures as full time students and join clubs & societies etc. You are also getting used to the kind of essays that are required at Oxford.

By all means ask me anything about Found Cert History at OUDCE, or studying History at Oxford as a mature student. Prob'ly best to do it in this thread, rather than PM-ing me, cos then others may find it useful too.

Good luck :smile:

This is fantastic, thank you - I am currently sitting down to eat over here but I will definitely respond to this as soon as I can
Hi, I just got admission to study the foundation certificate course in history at Oxford. Can you tell more about how you got into Harris Manchester and probably about the second BA scholarship..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending