The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Saftvare Jarb
Support the local institution/its research and maybe even influence local government policy, improving the authority that nurtured them from nursery to strutting men and women. Holding ties to family and community is important, why is every uni town full of ***** with different accents and ridiculous places like Hong Kong etc.

Because not all universities are equal (and before you say so they will never be equal. Some just have greater resources). So people who had the "misfortune" of living near to less decent unis would be being discriminated against. Also not all universities offer all courses. This would result in people having different opportunities later in life, just because of where their parents lived.
Reply 2
^what he said. my hometown doesnt even have a uni.
Original post by 16Characters....
Because not all universities are equal (and before you say so they will never be equal. Some just have greater resources). So people who had the "misfortune" of living near to less decent unis would be being discriminated against. Also not all universities offer all courses. This would result in people having different opportunities later in life, just because of where their parents lived.

Most large cities have two or three. Manchester has poly and a redbrick, so does Bristol. Thats perfectly adequate.
Most large cities have two or three. Manchester has poly and a redbrick, so does Bristol. Thats perfectly adequate.

Yes everyone will live near a good university. But still there will be better universities. Why should somebody born in Cambridgeshire deserve to study at Cambridge more than a more able student from Argyll, just so that some people do not get bothered by the fact that they are with people who speak in different accents.
i stayed local for both. Saved so much £££££££££ brah
Because the uni's in London are so hard to get into so my best chance would be try other parts of the country

Posted from TSR Mobile
It teaches u how to be more independent. Not relying on ur parents so much and figuring stuff out for urself
Reply 8
The closest uni to mine has a ****e History course. I'd sooner study maths than do their course lol
Reply 9

Most people don't live in large cities.
Original post by Ribbit1234
It teaches u how to be more independent. Not relying on ur parents so much and figuring stuff out for urself

This. Its a great transition from kid to adult
Reply 11
I did work experience at my local University in Year 11. I was actively encouraged by staff there NOT to go there, despite its glowing reputation.

Their reason? I would learn far more about myself and being self-sufficient living away from home, and that it never hurt to broaden your horizons and see new places.

I moved seven hours away from home for Uni. Some of those years were really, really emotionally tough, but I wouldn't ever wish to change it. Norwich is home, but Plymouth is like family now.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 12
1)Course varies between uni, and each offer different opportunities
2) Independence (people want to get out of their comfort zone)
3) Better opportunities (e.g. students moving into London due to the amount of business and grad schemes available, and also more facilities).
4) New location and more fun (people get tired of living in the same place for a long time. I in particular do not want to spend the rest of my life in the same city).

Moving out of your home town does not mean you are severing your ties with family.
Reply 13
Their local uni might not offer the course they want to do or a uni somewhere else might be better for it. They might also want to live away from their parents, experience living somewhere new and have more independence. I started my degree at 26 and stayed local; if I went to uni straight from sixth form I probably would've gone to one away from home for those reasons.

Posted from TSR Mobile
There are only a few places in the world that teach my course at a high standard.
It is a weirdly British thing to travel away to uni, compared to the rest of the world
Not saying that nobody in RoW travels, but it is more like 50/50

Every foreign student at uni brings in twice the money that U.K. Students do. So Each one subsidises the uk student

You should choose universities by the standing of the department, not uni, and not by how far away or how much you will develop by living apart from family

Many unis are now pursuing locals as it is cheaper for them to come
Living away is great but it's so expensive
Because course content and teaching style varies massively between unis even with the same course title. Because you wouldn't get to meet new people if you lived in the same town your entire life. Because grow up in ****holes.
Not everyone wants to live in their boring local towns for the rest of their lives.

Not everyone lives in large cities. A lot of people live in rural or suburban areas where their might not even be a university and even if there was it might not be good one.

Original post by WannabeDoctor98
Because the uni's in London are so hard to get into so my best chance would be try other parts of the country

You can't be serious.

Latest

Trending

Trending