The Student Room Group

Future in jeopardy?

I've yet to start university however, for the past couple of days i've been worrying alot and feeling stressed out. What my main concern is whether the degree i have chosen will put me into a field that i will not enjoy.I understand that I've yet to start university so i cannot judge whether i will enjoy the course or not, i just needed somewhere that i can project my feelings.Any kind of response will be nice.
Original post by AnonymousPosts
I've yet to start university however, for the past couple of days i've been worrying alot and feeling stressed out. What my main concern is whether the degree i have chosen will put me into a field that i will not enjoy.I understand that I've yet to start university so i cannot judge whether i will enjoy the course or not, i just needed somewhere that i can project my feelings.Any kind of response will be nice.

What degree have you chosen and do you know what sort of career you want in the future?
I've chosen a degree in Electrical and electronic engineering but i have no idea what this field consists off, whether i'd enjoy the career or not.
I've chosen a degree in Electrical and electronic engineering but i have no idea what this field consists off, whether i'd enjoy the career or not.

well engineering is a great degree, but why have you decided you want to do this degree if you dont know what it consists of?
Original post by driftawaay
well engineering is a great degree, but why have you decided you want to do this degree if you dont know what it consists of?

That was a bit of an exaggeration as i do know what it consists of and it looks interesting on paper but what if i dont enjoy it and end up having to drop out. I wouldn't know what other courses i can transfer to as i have no interests and can't harness an ambition to work towards. Also, with fees increasing and cuts to grants and what not, i can't affored not going University now
(edited 8 years ago)
That was a bit of an exaggeration as i do know what it consists of and it looks interesting on paper but what if i dont enjoy it and end up having to drop out. I wouldn't know what other courses i can transfer to as i have no interests and can't harness and ambition to work towards. Also, with fees increasing and cuts to grants and what not, i can't affored not going University now

Well to be honest, there are lots of students who do a course because it looks good on paper, they have an image of what it would be like to do the course etc and then find out its totally boring and they are not interested in the subject at all. And then they drop out. Honestly, lots of first year students drop out for this reason. The truth of the matter is, you cannot possibly know for 100% sure whether you will like engineering as you have never done it before. You just have to choose the subject you feel you are suited to best. If you did drop out and had to find another course... well, are you a Maths/science-y person? I cant believe you have no interests, everyone has interests!
Well to be honest, there are lots of students who do a course because it looks good on paper, they have an image of what it would be like to do the course etc and then find out its totally boring and they are not interested in the subject at all. And then they drop out. Honestly, lots of first year students drop out for this reason. The truth of the matter is, you cannot possibly know for 100% sure whether you will like engineering as you have never done it before. You just have to choose the subject you feel you are suited to best. If you did drop out and had to find another course... well, are you a Maths/science-y person? I cant believe you have no interests, everyone has interests!

I just don't want to do something that i will later regret in life :frown:
I just don't want to do something that i will later regret in life :frown:

Well tbh if it seems like something you want now you just have to go for it and try. You will never know unless you try. If you dont like the course you can always drop out and find another course or find something instead of uni.
Well tbh if it seems like something you want now you just have to go for it and try. You will never know unless you try. If you dont like the course you can always drop out and find another course or find something instead of uni.

Thats true, i think i'm just mental tired after spending the majority of my existence in education

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending