The Student Room Group

Bad 1st UKCAT Experience - Possible to Resit?

Answer: Not a chance
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Sam00
Hi I did my 1st UKCAT on Friday and it did not go well. Just before I went into the testing room I asked the person on the desk if I do my test in the cubicle which is noise free, but I was told no it is first come first served. This was fine until I got into the testing room and despite using the ear plugs and being completely deaf in my right ear, the noise in the room was unbelievably loud for a testing center, I could hear people knocking the desks putting items down, coughing loudly, two women outside (in fresh air) laughing for 5 minutes, the door constantly closing and opening and it really put me off my test causing me to be unable to concentrate and becoming stressed out so much so that I ended up doing really badly. When I go the AR section I couldn't put up with the noise so I had to put my finger over my earplug in my left ear and pushed it so far in that it was hard to get out at the end and since I have had a really weird clicking sound in my ear which could be a sign of damage.

I ended up getting 2290 with band 1 SJ, I am a mature student and so my UKCAT is really important and I have practiced for months and spent a lot of money on books and online resources so I was confident I would do ok.

I phone the UKCAT and made a complaint, they said I should have put my hand up during the test but due believing that it was my only opportunity to perform the test I didn't think to raise any concern, it wasn't until I got home that I could think rationally and decide that the testing environment was unacceptable.

UKCAT are now investigating the matter but can't promise anything can be done, they said it could take up to 10 working days to sort out and the UKCAT deadline is next Friday, So I am probably doomed.

You cannot take the UKCAT more than once per application cycle. You've had a bad experience, sure, but I doubt they're going to do anything because they've made clear on their website that, if anything goes wrong, you're supposed to put your hand up immediately and somebody will try to help you out.

The deadline for bookings has also passed so, to put it your way, you're probably doomed, I'm afraid. Sorry.

I suggest you try looking at Bristol (who don't use an entrance test) and the BMAT universities.
Reply 2
As above, it's unlikely they'll let you re-do the test, but you've got nothing to lose so goodluck

Look into taking the BMAT.

Do you have a degree? Then you could take the GAMSAT in March (for applying next year).

If not, your options are limited and you'll have to do the ukcat again.
Reply 3
Honestly you should have raised the issue there and then.
Very unlikely that they would allow you to redo it
Original post by Sam00
More than likely so, but as the testing environment was unacceptably noisy and I 100% relate this to my bad score, I am still going to go through with my complaint. If it doesn't work out at least I put my case forward, but if there is any tiny chance they will take it on board I would be stupid not to try

Yes, definitely go ahead with your complaint! It's better to at least try, even if you're unsuccessful. :smile:

On reading it again, my first response was a little harsh -- I just don't want you to get too hopeful about it as you might be disappointed if you do. In these sorts of situations, the company in charge (Pearson in this case) will do almost anything to get out of admitting their fault because it would inconvenience them and they'd have to give you a free test on short notice, something that they probably won't do if they can avoid it. :/
Reply 5
Original post by Hydeman
Yes, definitely go ahead with your complaint! It's better to at least try, even if you're unsuccessful. :smile:

On reading it again, my first response was a little harsh -- I just don't want you to get too hopeful about it as you might be disappointed if you do. In these sorts of situations, the company in charge (Pearson in this case) will do almost anything to get out of admitting their fault because it would inconvenience them and they'd have to give you a free test on short notice, something that they probably won't do if they can avoid it. :/

That's the impression I got when I phoned them, but they are going to contact the testing center and raise the issue of the inappropriate noise level. I am not lying to try and get another test, the noise was a major problem for me, I know they'll probably just say the noise was of a normal environment level. I did remember at the start of the test it said on the computer screen that all candidates are cctv monitored for cheating, I hope this is true as they will clearly see that I had my left index finger in my left ear and was clearly struggling with the noise, and discomfort of this.
Reply 6
Original post by Sam00
I'm an undergrad, and I've not done any practice for the BMAT hence I limited my choices to UKCAT Universities, the BMAT looks so difficult as well

I applied as a mature student too, and in my experience, the ukcat is probably the most important aspect of the application. It's a horrible test ( I got around 670 last year, which I got in with), but also sat it in the summer just gone and got pretty low (around 580). It's a test that you need alot going for you on the day.

I looked at the BMAT,and yeah, it does look tough. However, if you look at the past papers, there are certain style of questions which often get repeated. You could have a month of prep and see how it goes? They've put out a guide for section 2 and the essay is okay. Section 1 was the hardest for me in my opinion. Taking the BMAT would allow you to apply to Lancaster/BSMS, who are new to using it so won't hopefully have as high of a cut off
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending