The Student Room Group

MLAT- How to prepare?

Any advice on how to prepare for the French section and the Linguistics section of the Modern Languages admissions test?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
How can so many people see this, yet not reply????
Reply 2
Hi! I tried replying to this, but my comment was denied for some reason. I'm taking the MLAT in November as well (for French), and I've been told the most helpful thing to do is go through grammar books and practice conjugations. I'm sitting in on a few of my French teacher's French 1 lessons just so I can review some of the more basic material. I attached a few links that were suggested to me on my last post, but it wasn't approved. I'll try again when I get home later. Hope this is somewhat helpful! Best of luck with your exams!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi! I'm taking the test for French and Spanish. Since you're going for the French one too, I think the best thing to do is to look through old grammar notes, brush up vocabulary (maybe by reading, articles etc) and using the sample paper Oxford provide as a basis (of structure and seemingly favourite tenses they test on). Im guessing the subjunctive will be tested as it isn't so widely used (or we don't tend to recognise it) in English. Also I think prepositions would probably be checked (personally I find them a pain when trying to find the correct one!).
Reply 4
Could you pm me these links???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
http://french.about.com/od/grammar/a...ion_form_2.htmhttp://french.about.com/b/2009/07/13...ptional-le.htmhttp://www.lang.ox.ac.uk/courses/tst_index.html
Here you go! Maybe they just weren't working yesterday because it was the day I created the account. Hope these help!
Hey, good luck to everyone sitting the MLAT!! I will be doing so for French, have tried the 2014 past paper & managed to find a 2011 one floating around on here somewhere - would be delighted if anyone can point me in the direction of any other past MLATs there might be out there.
Reply 7
Original post by grace_co0k
Hey, good luck to everyone sitting the MLAT!! I will be doing so for French, have tried the 2014 past paper & managed to find a 2011 one floating around on here somewhere - would be delighted if anyone can point me in the direction of any other past MLATs there might be out there.

Please may you send me a link to last year's paper?
Original post by 09rkim
Please may you send me a link to last year's paper?

With pleasure!! Here you go:
http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/applying-to-oxford/tests

(it is in PDF format so just scroll down & it is under 'Specimen Papers' under 'Modern Languages' - some useful information about it there too!!)

Good luck :smile:
Original post by couruthim
Any advice on how to prepare for the French section and the Linguistics section of the Modern Languages admissions test?

From what I have read & from having looked at a few past papers, my advice would be to blitz the subjunctive! Other than that, I am sure you will be fine :smile: All the best!
Original post by grace_co0k

Hello I'm going to be sitting the MLAT for linguistics too! Would it be possible if you can send me a link to the 2011 past paper you found? Thanks so much and good luck:smile:
Reply 11
Original post by luckystarr
Hello I'm going to be sitting the MLAT for linguistics too! Would it be possible if you can send me a link to the 2011 past paper you found? Thanks so much and good luck:smile:

(Original post by grace_co0k)

Attached Files[*] Modern_Languages_Admissions_Tests.pdf (255.9 KB, 91 views)

I put this file up a while ago. I'm a bit surprised that no-one else has done the same for other years. The 2011 paper was used as a specimen in 2012. I think they use the previous year as a specimen each time. I suggest you contact M/L Oxford students who got in for 2014 or 2013 to see if they still have a downloaded/printed version of their specimen paper. If you do get in, I suggest you point out to your tutors that it's a bit unfair that some applicants have access to these papers and some don't.
Attached Files[*] Modern_Languages_Admissions_Tests.pdf (255.9 KB, 91 views)

I put this file up a while ago. I'm a bit surprised that no-one else has done the same for other years. The 2011 paper was used as a specimen in 2012. I think they use the previous year as a specimen each time. I suggest you contact M/L Oxford students who got in for 2014 or 2013 to see if they still have a downloaded/printed version of their specimen paper. If you do get in, I suggest you point out to your tutors that it's a bit unfair that some applicants have access to these papers and some don't.

^^ thank you so much !!
It's an aptitude test, you're not supposed to be able to prepare for it.
Reply 14
Original post by Little Toy Gun
It's an aptitude test, you're not supposed to be able to prepare for it.

The grammar schools and independent schools put a lot of teaching hours into preparing for it. So the question is, do they know what they are doing?
Original post by Pars12
The grammar schools and independent schools put a lot of teaching hours into preparing for it. So the question is, do they know what they are doing?

Don't know. But aptitude tests are supposed to be testing natural ability. I'm sure being familiar with the format and the time needed for each part would help, but it's more likely to be more confidence-building than anything. Probably works a bit better than praying.
Reply 16
Original post by Little Toy Gun
Don't know. But aptitude tests are supposed to be testing natural ability. I'm sure being familiar with the format and the time needed for each part would help, but it's more likely to be more confidence-building than anything. Probably works a bit better than praying.

The problem with aptitude tests is the same as the problem with IQ tests. Nobody really knows what it is so how can you test for it? You can train to do it in the time, you can train to recognise this type or that type of question and you can train to take the test without going to pieces. There is a type of question that recurs on the TSA to do with floor tiles. If you have done one of these before they are easy. Other questions are simple bookkeeping exercises for accountants. They are quite tricky if you haven't done them before. You can train for pretty much anything.
can understand the reasoning behind most of these posts but my original meaning was much more simple !! totally understand the concept of an 'aptitude test' but do not see how being prepared for the structure of the test is a bad thing!! as someone coming from a state school in blackpool every aspect of additonal preparation is invaluable to me; do not need reminding of the importance of natural aptitude thanks
You can absolutely prepare for the MLAT. It is basically a test covering the traditionally 'tricky' areas of grammar in a foreign language. I guess it's true that you can't just cram and regurgitate a set syllabus but you can definitely anticipate the sorts of questions that will be asked and the sorts of structures that they want you to be able to use.
Original post by qwertyuiop1993
You can absolutely prepare for the MLAT. It is basically a test covering the traditionally 'tricky' areas of grammar in a foreign language. I guess it's true that you can't just cram and regurgitate a set syllabus but you can definitely anticipate the sorts of questions that will be asked and the sorts of structures that they want you to be able to use.

thanks, this was what I was thinking. your grammar notes are excellent by the way, have really helped !!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending