The Student Room Group

Celebrity deaths that have actually made you sad.

Scroll to see replies

Heath Ledger, big time
Robin Williams
Whitney Houston
Brittany Murphy
Amy Winehouse
Mivmchael javkson

Steve Irvin

FREDDIE MERCURY
Original post by princxsa
Whitey Houston's death had me in tears.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why
Robin Williams' death really broke my heart. Terrible tragedy.
Michael Jackson's death did hit home and screwed up my birthday celebrations.

These were the biggest 2 for me.
Original post by Kholmes1
Also Paul Walker.

****, I completly forgot about Elizibath Sladed.

So Richard Herreman,
Paul Walker
And Elizabeth Sladen.
Christopher Hitchens.
Michael Jackson.
Robin Williams.
Heath Ledger.
George Carlin.
Original post by United1892
Sir Bobby Robson.

Absolutely right. I'm not a Newcastle fan, but I'm old enough that when I became a football fan as a kid, Bobby was England manager and World Cup 1990 was really a central part of my whole development in to a sports fan in general, not just football. It's what made me mad about sport. I think every football fan felt that they knew Bobby Robson, he was a real genuine guy and completely loved football.
Ian Dury
Terry Pratchett
Robin Williams
Heath Ledger
Steve Jobs
Tony Benn

Those are the ones that come to mind.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by MagicNMedicine
Absolutely right. I'm not a Newcastle fan, but I'm old enough that when I became a football fan as a kid, Bobby was England manager and World Cup 1990 was really a central part of my whole development in to a sports fan in general, not just football. It's what made me mad about sport. I think every football fan felt that they knew Bobby Robson, he was a real genuine guy and completely loved football.

He was the first Newcastle manager I saw us play under and definitely the best both personally and managerial. Watching football under him is why I started liking football and best (or worst) of all supporting Newcastle.
I've never really been properly down at the death of any celebrity, it's more mild melancholy. There's also the fact that for most of my life, I haven't been so tuned in to pop culture as I am now, so it's a fairly short list:

Robin Williams, just for the nostalgic value, thinking about how I've grown up with his movies and won't get to see another again.

And more recently, Christopher Lee - he's always been my favourite villain actor since I saw him in LOTR, and one of my favourite Hollywood actors of all time, but it was only last year that I really looked into his biography, and found myself stunned at just how full, how exciting a life he'd lead. It was probably the most I've ever admired a celebrity, so you can imagine the disappointment when I found out he'd died.
Reply 91
Michael Jackson... I still cry when I hear songs like speechless. Also, jules bianchi. Not really a celebrity but he died this year... the first formula 1 driver to die directly from injuries caused on the track since ayrton senna. It hit me hard because I actually thought he would recover and make it. I didn't know how bad it was. Tryna think of others... oh eddie guerrero and chris benoit. WWF wrestlers. Their stories are just so depressing when you look into it. And finally : James the Rev Sullivan - avenged sevenfold drummer. Died same year as MJ. 2 of my all time favourite musicians and song writers. Their lyrics so powerful and melodic, yet both very different. RIP guys...
Stephen Gately. I'd been a massive Boyzone fan since the 90s and saw them twice in concert when they reunited. I watched his funeral on tv and still feel sad hearing and seeing Boyzone perform without him :frown:
Original post by United1892
He was the first Newcastle manager I saw us play under and definitely the best both personally and managerial. Watching football under him is why I started liking football and best (or worst) of all supporting Newcastle.

Ah so you don't remember Sexy Football with Ruud Gullit.

Unfortunately for Newcastle, even though Bobby brought some relatively good times they were still not quite what they had threatened to be in the mid 1990s. Sir John Hall knew the money in the game was going to explode and he was wanting to position Newcastle at the forefront when it happened, and under KK it was happening. Really the year 1997, starting with Keegan's meltdown and featuring some disastrous recruitment and sales by Dalglish, set Newcastle back years. Sir Bobby got Newcastle back competing as outsiders for the title again, but in the intervening years Arsenal had stepped up and it felt like Sir Bobby was always running to stand still.

I recommend the book "All Played Out" (now sometimes renamed as "One Night In Turin" as a fantastic read on Bobby and Italia 90. It was written by an author who stayed in the England camp and had a lot of in depth conversations with Bobby, Chris Waddle and others. Absolutely amazing read. You can see what a great guy Bobby was with so many interesting opinions on football.
Original post by DiceTheSlice
Why

hmm because I was listening to her since I was born. Like many kids grew up with Michael Jackson, I grew up with Whitney Houston. I listened to her my whole life, she was messed up but her music has been with me my whole life. So when she died, I felt really sad because she was an inspiration to me. She was a reminder of my childhood per say:smile:
Reply 95
Paul Walker is the only one that got to me
Robin Williams had a little impact
Most celebrity deaths don't really affect me at all. I felt sick and angry and totally empty for about a week after the Chris Benoit double homicide suicide in 2007 though.

Watched him every week for a decade as he rose up from the middle tier to finally be given his well deserved chance at the top and a hugely emotional crowning moment at WrestleMania. Winning the world title after a near perfect match when everyone said he'd never be given the belt cos he was too small, didn't have enough personality etc. it was a great underdog story.

I still can't get my head around how he could strange his wife and young kid and then hang himself. There's been so much speculation as to his brain damage issues etc but none of us will ever know what happened in that house over the weekend of June 24 2007.
PAUL WALKER- MY HERO :bawling::heart:
Original post by MagicNMedicine
Ah so you don't remember Sexy Football with Ruud Gullit.

Unfortunately for Newcastle, even though Bobby brought some relatively good times they were still not quite what they had threatened to be in the mid 1990s. Sir John Hall knew the money in the game was going to explode and he was wanting to position Newcastle at the forefront when it happened, and under KK it was happening. Really the year 1997, starting with Keegan's meltdown and featuring some disastrous recruitment and sales by Dalglish, set Newcastle back years. Sir Bobby got Newcastle back competing as outsiders for the title again, but in the intervening years Arsenal had stepped up and it felt like Sir Bobby was always running to stand still.

I recommend the book "All Played Out" (now sometimes renamed as "One Night In Turin" as a fantastic read on Bobby and Italia 90. It was written by an author who stayed in the England camp and had a lot of in depth conversations with Bobby, Chris Waddle and others. Absolutely amazing read. You can see what a great guy Bobby was with so many interesting opinions on football.

I've heard about it, he was hired not long after I was born so I don't remember him.

We were very good in the 90s and nearly won the league because of Hall and Keegan but as you say it went pear shaped. Robson did a great job to get us Champions League particularly when you consider what came before and after. Says something that the best cup run I've seen us on was when I was 5.

I'll have a look at it, thanks.
Original post by Leviathan1741
Steve Irwin, he was one of my favourite people when I was a kid, it broke my heart when I heard he had passed away :frown:

His daughter bindi's tribute dance on DWTS made me cry so much, he was an epic man

Quick Reply

Latest