The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why are there way more succesful male entrepeneurs and CEOs than female

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zigglr
That doesn't stop women from becoming successful self - made entrepeneurs, stop using it as an excuse :smile:

I'm not making a ****ing excuse? :curious: It's the answer to the question, sit.
Original post by MagicNMedicine
Calm down dear :lol:

Thats what people say when they get wreked m8.
Reply 22
Original post by Sweet n Sour
I'm not making a ****ing excuse? :curious: It's the answer to the question, sit.

You're saying women don't become successful entrepeneurs because there is a barrier to them climbing a profession, which makes no sense. In reality, there is nothing stopping women from attempting to become successful entrepeneurs like men apart from their ability to do so, so again stop using that stupid idea as an excuse -.-
Original post by zigglr
You're saying women don't become successful entrepeneurs because there is a barrier to them climbing a profession, which makes no sense. In reality, there is nothing stopping women from attempting to become successful entrepeneurs like men apart from their ability to do so, so again stop using that stupid idea as an excuse -.-

It's not my excuse; I haven't begun working yet :indiff: Why are you arguing facts with your TSR theories?
Reply 24
It's not my excuse; I haven't begun working yet :indiff: Why are you arguing facts with your TSR theories?

What fact? I am the only one who has shown facts (majority of entrepeneurs, especially young entrepeneurs) are male. Meanwhile, you come up with your oppression conspiracies as an excuse for women not being able to be successful entrepeneurs lol
Original post by zigglr
What fact? I am the only one who has shown facts (majority of entrepeneurs, especially young entrepeneurs) are male. Meanwhile, you come up with your oppression conspiracies as an excuse for women not being able to be successful entrepeneurs lol

It's not meant to be an excuse; it's a reason, don't deny it :yawn:
Reply 26
It's not meant to be an excuse; it's a reason, don't deny it :yawn:

It isn't a valid reason lol, no one is stopping women from innovating / entrepeneurship, seems most just don't have the ability to compared to men
Original post by zigglr
seems most just don't have the ability to compared to men

We're done. Hope you got it off your chicken chest, but I'm not gonna get mad at my PC screen for you. Good night.
Original post by zigglr

There are two things which stop women becoming successful entrepreneurs.

1. The perpetual victim complex.
2. Patriarchy. A theory which demonstrates 'God (patriarchy) exists because you can't prove otherwise.' Patriarchy is tantamount to an anti-cult; they worship the intangible.
I'd say the issue probably is somewhere between the fact a lot of the successful companies were started a fair amount of time ago and so the really large names tended to be male just because there were more opportunities for men at the time but also the fact that it tends to be women who either drop out of work entirely or go part-time to look after kids.

That and the psychological differences people have already touched upon: women tend to look for more secure options and are more averse to taking large risks - I'd expect that to have some impact.

I'd hope that now maternity/paternity pay has been pretty much equalised, each family could decide to do what is best for them. If that's the woman starting up her own business or working long hours to become CEO then that should be somewhat easier now as the family would still get the same money that they would have done if it had been a man working the majority of hours. Personally, I'd much rather climb the career ladder than have kids, at least for the moment, if they were the only two options, but at least each family can make that decision now together.
Women are busy having babies is the first thing that springs to mind.
Original post by black_mamba

Correct as is their choice.
This is a good question. For me it depends on what we mean by success.There's a male CEO I know who's running a company where most of his staff are miserable but not willing to say anything to fix things- they're trying to get out; but the company will keep running because people need jobs, so there are always applications for the vacancies. Another male CEO I've spoken with was hugely successful; built a massive international company and bought a lovely mansion with load of cash to spare. By the time he was ready to sell his shares and live in luxury with his family, his wife and kids were gone. Now he's kicking about in a big old house advising other CEO's on how to grow their business. Right now, in conventional terms, I'm hugely unsuccessful: I'm earning very little, left a 'high flying' corporate job and am doing nothing to do with my degree after realising that working in geology was not going to help me answer my questions about the world. But, at the same, time I'm making connections, creating work I care about, people are asking me to speak and write at events I want to be at and I'm working hard on something that is hugely fun and might do some good in the world. I may never make the kind of money that gets me featured in the news and that's OK. There are many female entrepreneurs, if you know where to look. And they're successful too, if we redefine success away from purely money terms.
Reply 33
Original post by black_mamba

That is always the excuse, but what about the young (18 - 25) entrepeneurs such as in the tech industry? None of them are female, and I doubt most girls are having babies at that age. Whenever I hear about them they are always male, try and name me one female one.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-21924243
http://www.bbc.com/news/business-32702501

I am not ripping on females for having lack of business skills etc. but I am just trying to figure out why succesful entrepreneurs, are mostly male.
Reply 34
Original post by TheCitizenAct
it's all about the patriarchies and the oppressions!?!?! The mens are keeping the womens down!!!!

yeah they always say that as an excuse when in reality women and men have the same opportunity to innovate... So why are 99% male?
Original post by zigglr
That is always the excuse, but what about the young (18 - 25) entrepeneurs such as in the tech industry? None of them are female, and I doubt most girls are having babies at that age. Whenever I hear about them they are always male, try and name me one female one.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-21924243
http://www.bbc.com/news/business-32702501

I am not ripping on females for having lack of business skills etc. but I am just trying to figure out why succesful entrepreneurs, are mostly male.

Fair point. You actually got me to think beyond my first superficial thoughts about this.

I suppose there is an element of planning ahead for a family. So say you're a young woman who expects to have kids some day, maybe she wants to stick with work more suitable to her future needs (flexibility, for example) rather than start something she feels she cannot see through? The thing is you could argue that starting a successful business is a great foundation for a family (more security?).

I don't know, I'm just guessing here. I'm female but I've never wanted a family so not sure how that plays into it. I'm also not buying into the idea of any form of sexism stopping women run businesses. I know 4 female business directors. 2 of those are engineers (one designs products, the other runs a consultancy business for civil engineers). The other 2 run an educational business. I personally don't think there is any barrier as such, other than people's own internal insecurities and lack of knowledge of running a business. How that relates more to women I'm not sure.
Original post by zigglr
It isn't a valid reason lol, no one is stopping women from innovating / entrepeneurship, seems most just don't have the ability to compared to men

As if innovation and entrepreneurship are the only two traits required to become a CEO!
Reply 37
I think most people who've worked in large corporations will attest that two of the key factors to reaching the top is politics and networking. I see this first hand due to the industry that I work in. Sexism is present in organisations, but this tends to be more prevalent in middle and upper-middle management; not senior. We are seeing a shift away from traditional, white males running companies but I do not think it's right to base the higher number of men in senior positions simply down to gender.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 38
Original post by Plagioclase
As if innovation and entrepreneurship are the only two traits required to become a CEO!

In that response I was talking about entrepeneurs, who are 99% male
I must add that it's not just a numbers issue, it's also a media issue. There are people writing the news, who have their own opinions and bias. We don't hear about many women engineers and CEOs because the news doesn't talk about them, for whatever reason. (Lisa Su from AMD anyone? Mary Barra?). When I did an active search, I was actually surprised to hear there are more female CEOs than I imagined. People just don't talk about them.

Latest

Trending

Trending