The Student Room Group

What happens in your first driving lesson?

Hi guys,

I have my first driving lesson tomorrow. What generally happens during your first lesson, and what can I expect to be doing?

Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
The tutor would generally go through what all the different controls are and go through how to prepare to drive, that what usually happens
When I had my first driving lesson I was taught the utter basics as I'd never had any sort of instruction before, I didn't even know what the pedals did! So my instructor explained the pedals and how gears work (he showed me some diagrams of the gearbox and how it works in conjunction with the engine and wheels). We went through the cockpit drill and the Mirror Signal Manoeuvre technique. We then drove around the block and went from 1st to 2nd gear, went through braking smoothly and using the handbrake. We also went through t-junctions, how to approach and go through them.

It was all pretty basic but I hadn't got a clue about ANYTHING to do with driving and cars prior to this!

Enjoy your lesson, just relax and don't stress, it's a big learning curve!
Original post by kpizzle17
When I had my first driving lesson I was taught the utter basics as I'd never had any sort of instruction before, I didn't even know what the pedals did! So my instructor explained the pedals and how gears work (he showed me some diagrams of the gearbox and how it works in conjunction with the engine and wheels). We went through the cockpit drill and the Mirror Signal Manoeuvre technique. We then drove around the block and went from 1st to 2nd gear, went through braking smoothly and using the handbrake. We also went through t-junctions, how to approach and go through them.

It was all pretty basic but I hadn't got a clue about ANYTHING to do with driving and cars prior to this!

Enjoy your lesson, just relax and don't stress, it's a big learning curve!

Thank you!
It's depends really.

You should cover the controls and setting the car up as a minimum, maybe even moving off and going through the gears. It all depends on the instructor and how quickly you pick things up.

You might find these videos useful, good ways to check if you're being taught correctly.

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TheMcSame
It's depends really.

You should cover the controls and setting the car up as a minimum, maybe even moving off and going through the gears. It all depends on the instructor and how quickly you pick things up.

You might find these videos useful, good ways to check if you're being taught correctly.

Spoiler

Reply 6
One my first lesson, the instructor drove me down to the quiet area of the beach and showed me these flashcards with all the manoeuvres I would learning over the next few weeks and then he showed me everything about 5 times and for the last ten mins, I got to do some driving - nothing fancy. Literally just drove in a straight line and done straight reversing for the whole of ten mins lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending