The Student Room Group

PGDE Applications 2016 (Scotland)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by lisamcall3456
Ive just started it... you should get it under PGDE Scotland

Let me know if you stillbcant get it.

Lisa

I can't find the page either Lisa! Maybe check incase it's become a secret page?
Original post by ple202
I'm applying to Aberdeen, Glasgow, Strathclyde, Edinburgh and Dundee for Primary. I've gotten absolutely nowhere though with getting classroom experience so won't be able to submit my application until I find some. I've contacted every school in my area and have either been ignored or rejected. So annoying!

That is so odd! Have you told them you have a PVG, as I assume you would wanting to work with children? I'm from Fife & during the summer holidays I emailed a bunch of schools and the day schools went back they all emailed me back saying they are always looks for some extra hands around the school. Have you been telling them what you could bring to the school & that you are wanting to be a teacher etc ?
I don't know why the Facebook page can't be found... I've racked my brain and made sure its not a secret group....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
I don't know why the Facebook page can't be found... I've racked my brain and made sure its not a secret group....

Posted from TSR Mobile

Very strange Lisa! :frown:
Heres a link for the Facebook page!!

We had one last year and it was great for sharing interview tips and ideas

Thanks!!
Lisa

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
I losted the link on here for the page but TSR moderators deleted it 😕

Original post by Gemzaaa
Very strange Lisa! :frown:
Reply 26
I losted the link on here for the page but TSR moderators deleted it 😕

You can PM me it :smile: I was on last years too, it's awesome for hints and helpful advice, so would be great to get another one going!
I'm applying for PGDE at Edinburgh and Strathclyde (the only two that do my subject!). Had a personal deadline of 1st October but didn't know if my referee had written the reference. Now sent off my request for it through UCAS then I'm done! SUPER SCARED. Hopefully it'll be sent away by tomorrow night!
Original post by TheBambiHeart
I'm applying for PGDE at Edinburgh and Strathclyde (the only two that do my subject!). Had a personal deadline of 1st October but didn't know if my referee had written the reference. Now sent off my request for it through UCAS then I'm done! SUPER SCARED. Hopefully it'll be sent away by tomorrow night!

That's good! I wish I was as organised! How much school experience do you have? I'm just worried that i don't have enough which is why I'm hesitant to submit my application just now.
Original post by scotinengland
That's good! I wish I was as organised! How much school experience do you have? I'm just worried that i don't have enough which is why I'm hesitant to submit my application just now.

I'm in exactly the same boat, I have work experience and some volunteer work organised, I just haven't started any of it! I've got everything else done, I just need to add into my personal statement all my stuff about my work experience when I've done some, and then get it sent off, but I'm panicking that I'll be the last to send my application in:frown:
Original post by speakanddestroy
I'm in exactly the same boat, I have work experience and some volunteer work organised, I just haven't started any of it! I've got everything else done, I just need to add into my personal statement all my stuff about my work experience when I've done some, and then get it sent off, but I'm panicking that I'll be the last to send my application in:frown:

Could I ask for your work experience how you've gone about the PVG? Have you registered as an individual or have schools organised it for you? I've been trying to get my head round the process.
Reply 31
Hi everyone,

I'm based in Glasgow. I'm applying to the PGDE for the 2016 intake also. At this point i'm still not entirely sure if i want to go down the primary or secondary Business Education route (I just graduated in July with a BA in Business Studies from GCU). I called UCAS and they told me it was fine for me to use the 5 applications for both courses.... So i'm thinking to apply to 3 unis for Secondary Business Education and 2 unis for Primary Education. UCAS said i could contact the unis im applying for primary teaching and ask if they will accept my personal statement separately via email.

I'm writing my personal statement just now, though, and i'm not sure if i should make it more general to teaching or if i should include points for both primary and secondary. But feel that could weaken it.

Is anyone else on the same boat?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by anna678
Hi everyone,

I'm based in Glasgow. I'm applying to the PGDE for the 2016 intake also. At this point i'm still not entirely sure if i want to go down the primary or secondary Business Education route (I just graduated in July with a BA in Business Studies from GCU). I called UCAS and they told me it was fine for me to use the 5 applications for both courses.... So i'm thinking to apply to 3 unis for Secondary Business Education and 2 unis for Primary Education. UCAS said i could contact the unis im applying for primary teaching and ask if they will accept my personal statement separately via email.

I'm writing my personal statement just now, though, and i'm not sure if i should make it more general to teaching or if i should include points for both primary and secondary. But feel that could weaken it.

Is anyone else on the same boat?

Surely if you are applying to a course you have a passion for teaching one age group or the other- and you'll have to show this in your personal statement. I personally know I want to work in a primary as I love that age group and have the experience to back that up. I feel you need to pick one or the other and not just place it on luck what one you get. If you're struggling to pick, get experience in both a primary and a high school and then that way you can see where you imagine yourself more. If you are lucky to get to interview stage this could help you show why you prefer working with that age group than the other?
Reply 33
Original post by bebabrown
That is so odd! Have you told them you have a PVG, as I assume you would wanting to work with children? I'm from Fife & during the summer holidays I emailed a bunch of schools and the day schools went back they all emailed me back saying they are always looks for some extra hands around the school. Have you been telling them what you could bring to the school & that you are wanting to be a teacher etc ?

Yeah I must have emailed about 20 schools explaining my situation and they either ignored me or said they had too many volunteers!
Reply 34
Original post by ple202
Yeah I must have emailed about 20 schools explaining my situation and they either ignored me or said they had too many volunteers!

I know its not classroom experience, but maybe try also applying other places to work with children too! Every little helps :smile:
Reply 35
In your personal statement, have you been specific about dates worked, names of schools and your grades etc?

I've been told by a few people that you don't have to specifically state the number of days you've spent volunteering at schools.
I would be as specific as you can regarding the amount of experience you have. We have a facebook page if you want to join...

PGDE 2016 intake
Reply 37
Original post by Gemzaaa
I know its not classroom experience, but maybe try also applying other places to work with children too! Every little helps :smile:

I volunteer at a kids club and girl guides already but thankfully a school just contacted saying I could do some experience with them. :smile:
Reply 38
Original post by ple202
I volunteer at a kids club and girl guides already but thankfully a school just contacted saying I could do some experience with them. :smile:

Oh that's great news, perfect! Now just to work on fitting all of your experience into your statement... :smile:
Original post by harnagarna
Could I ask for your work experience how you've gone about the PVG? Have you registered as an individual or have schools organised it for you? I've been trying to get my head round the process.

As far as I'm aware you can only apply for a PVG through an organisation, so you'd get one doing volunteer work with children, but I just contacted my old high school and they were happy to have me back for a couple of days without a PVG, probably because they already know me. Hope that helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending