The Student Room Group

PGDE Applications 2016 (Scotland)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Charocall
Your experience is more than enough you can use the additional needs assistant to your advantage as a lot of people haven't even considered that and it's a big factor in schools.

Yeah I wonder how many words 47 lines is. I don't want to have to leave stuff out.

I have only thought about the interview stage a little as I don't want to build myself up. Some Unis have pretty demanding interviews but I think the less I panic about that the easier it will be :P So you might have to make a decision about a Uni before you hear back from them all?

I just went to change my statement to add in the ANA info. I hadn't added it before because I wasn't sure if I had been accepted to do it or not.

At first I though 47 lines was a good amount (it's 4000 characters, this includes spaces!).....it turns out it's not as long as I thought and I was waaaay over to start with. I have cut it down bit by bit, taking out words I felt weren't always necessary, rephrasing a lot of things and getting rid of the least relevant information.

I've not started to worry about interview stage yet (although I've read up as much as I can about it). At the moment I would just be grateful to get to that point! However, if I get any interviews I'll panic like crazy!
I spent weeks agonising over my PS last year and trying to squish it into 47 lines! Have completed it start to finish today and my application is all done👍🏻Just waiting on my reference now then it can all go through. I have over 120 hours teaching primary and much more in FE environment so am hoping that will tide me over. Although I should get offered SLA work now as all the paperwork has eventually gone through so this will be an added bonus. It is really nerve wracking. I was gutted when I didn't get through last year😞 Fingers x this is the perfect time. Sleepless nights ahead and gut wrenching nerves 😉
I wish I could just get my application done and finished but I get the feeling I'll be chasing my reference up for ages (it's the last thing I need). The head of the primary I am based in has had the email but he seems so blasé about actually filling it in. I have no doubt it'll be a great reference as they are always being so complimentary BUT he did say "I have till January to fill it in"........I had to remind him that the application wouldn't actually go through until he did it!

......really not looking forward to the fact that I'll need to do it again for the PGCE application once they are open!! I wonder if the reference will only need to go through once as it's technically all UCAS, or if I'll need to get him to send another one for that.
I've only managed to get a few days experience and am still going to submit a PS in the next month. Getting experience was difficult as I didn't get a response from most of the schools I contacted. Working full time also makes it difficult to get lots of time off to complete experience, I work 9-5 Monday to Friday. My holiday entitlement also runs from Jan-Dec so by the time I got to September I had little leave left. Also starting a new job in the coming weeks so I'll not be able to take holiday til Jan at the latest. Those of you who have hundreds of hours are more than prepared id say! I'm hoping that the fact I've fitted a few days in with my busy schedule is recognised.
There will no doubt be a lot of people who apply later in the year, so I'm trying my best not to stress out over not having already submitted my application.
Dreading trying to get a reference sorted by what you guys have said! Hopefully I don't need to constantly chase it up.
I didn't apply until later in the year last year so don't fret. I just want it off my chest IYKWIM this year as it incredibly stressful if you really, really want something and it depends on so many variables.
Once it is done then so be it.
You don't have to rely on in school experience - you could volunteer at Brownies, rainbows, scouts, community run events, plays, shows, etc etc.They just want evidence that you are used to being around children and working with them.
I would just keep harassing (in a polite but firm manner) for your reference. After all, they could have your skills to utilise in future years and are making use of them just now! Teachers are so busy they just forget and prioritise other things. I sent my referee a wee email sayng I understood how incredibly busy they are but I would so appreciateit if they could find the time ASAP to fill it in as my app could not proceed until it is done and it is a highly competitve course😄
After it has gone you spend ages checking emails constantly and checking the UCAS page, then fretting about interviews - it is truly hideous! Especially when you are long in the tooth like me - I just want to get going now👍🏻 Life is short - let me in to prove myself 😁
Anyone got a preference? Last year we had to state first choice, second choice etc etc.I notice this year it is alphabetical order. I would prefer Strathclyde or UWS (the thought of going on the subway regularly to Glasgow terrifies me 😱).
Original post by Rumpel24

Anyone got a preference? Last year we had to state first choice, second choice etc etc.I notice this year it is alphabetical order. I would prefer Strathclyde or UWS (the thought of going on the subway regularly to Glasgow terrifies me 😱).

I've also applied to UWS and Strathclyde. I've also applied to University of Cumbria (Carlisle) for the PGCE and it is my preferred choice due to distance, as I live in Dumfries. The only problem there is that England want you to have an honours degree at a minimum 2:2. They get honours after 3 years, unlike us where it is 4. This may just put the brakes on that for me as I only have a BA. UWS Hamilton and Strathclyde would be very difficult for me to travel to daily as in peak traffic it can take an extra hour, making my journey there and back, every day, 4 hours round trip! It would cost a fortune in petrol and I'd struggle with childcare. Still, if I get accepted to either it would be amazing.

My absolute preferred choice would be to do it at University of Glasgow (Dumfries Campus) or UWS (Dumfries campus)......however, neither run the PGDE there!! Raaaarrr! University of Glasgow do the 4 year course though, so I'm applying to that too in case I don't get in to the PGDE or PGCE. I would be 40 when I finished but it's better than not doing it at all.
robinsong - I tried to get in to second year at Stirling this year but they were having none of it. The thought of another 4 years 😮 40 - still another 25 years at least working life ahead and mature enough to know what you want in life👍🏻 Yes it is problematic with kids. The thing is we have to travel, keep a home and find time to do the course work and placements and research.
Still I managed to complete a BA whilst pregnant 3 times, with hyperemesis, and moving areas so I am hopeful I can do it👍🏻
Good luck I will 🙏🏻 you get in where you want - sounds to me that you will make an excellent teacher and with your knowledge of SENDs they should be lucky to have you👍🏻
Awww thanks Rumpel24! <3 I like to think I'll make a good teacher. It's unfortunate it has taken me so long to realise what I want to be, but I don't think I'd have been ready 10/15 years ago. It was having children that made the difference for me. When my son (who has autism and dyspraxia) started school I panicked like crazy, but his teacher was a god send and she worked wonders with my son. This in turn made such a big difference to me. I'd like to do the same and be that person that makes the difference......cheesy, but true!

It's going to be ruddy hard work but I'm sure we can do it! I hope you get in to wherever you want to be too, you certainly deserve it after all the hard work you've put in! I'll be rooting for you :smile:
Well that is mine gone😀My referee was very kind and completed today so I just sent it off before I began to doubt my PS and started to rearrange it again😧EEK! I am so impatient - the wait and nervous anticipation begins...............Bit rubbish that we actually have to pay to feel like this😉
Reply 90
Hi everyone!

I've just sent my application away for PGDE primary teaching! Super scared. I've 2 years experience working in a primary school but needed to go back to college to get a better qualification in English :s-smilie: Is anyone applying for Inverness/Edinburgh?
Have applied for Edinburgh, Dundee, Strathclyde, Glasgow and UWS👍🏻 Inverness too far for me. Hoping for Strathclyde or UWS.
I'm hoping to apply for Inverness and Edinburgh. Starting to panic about not having enough hours classroom experience and I'm sitting national 5 maths this year so best I can hope for is a conditional. Does anyone know if people have been successful getting in when they are still working on the requirements? I have a first class honours in psychology, so I'm hoping that will show that I should be academically capable of achieving the maths grade. As for experience, I don't think I've quite got the number of hours yet, but I will do by the time I would be interviewed (if I was to get that far) plus I have some experience teaching dance and working with kids with additional needs.
Have people stated in their PS how many hours they have done or just said that they are helping in a school for X amount of time ? I've said something along the lines of "I currently work at p.school 3 days a week and shall be for the remainder of the school year" or should I say I've have done 20 days so far...?
Original post by MissSougs
I'm hoping to apply for Inverness and Edinburgh. Starting to panic about not having enough hours classroom experience and I'm sitting national 5 maths this year so best I can hope for is a conditional. Does anyone know if people have been successful getting in when they are still working on the requirements? I have a first class honours in psychology, so I'm hoping that will show that I should be academically capable of achieving the maths grade. As for experience, I don't think I've quite got the number of hours yet, but I will do by the time I would be interviewed (if I was to get that far) plus I have some experience teaching dance and working with kids with additional needs.

I'm currently sitting my national 5 maths too so I'm in the same boat....although I only have an ordinary degree, not honours! I'm panicking about my chances, but I have a lot of classroom experience and a bit of life experience, so hope that may help my case!
Original post by bebabrown
"I currently work at p.school 3 days a week and shall be for the remainder of the school year"

This is pretty much word for word what I wrote in my PS. If I started to count the actual hours I've done/will do over the rest of the school year I would lose the will to live! lol! I did put 3 full days so they could easily see roughly the amount of hours I'd be doing overall.
I think a lot of them discount you immediately if you do not have the required qualifications. It is so competitive that they can just dispatch with applications which do not meet the criteria currently. I stated that I had done 3 days here, couple of hours there and over 120 hours in a regular position. Think it does not matter too much which way you state it. I only have an ordinary degree too - mine is in teaching and I still did not get in last year as I did not have maths - even though I was studying it at the time! Argh! It is a horrible waiting game to see if they like your PS and then if you interview well.
Original post by Rumpel24
I think a lot of them discount you immediately if you do not have the required qualifications. It is so competitive that they can just dispatch with applications which do not meet the criteria currently. I stated that I had done 3 days here, couple of hours there and over 120 hours in a regular position. Think it does not matter too much which way you state it. I only have an ordinary degree too - mine is in teaching and I still did not get in last year as I did not have maths - even though I was studying it at the time! Argh! It is a horrible waiting game to see if they like your PS and then if you interview well.

Oh no!!!!!! I am studying maths this year. I had really hoped they would still consider me. I have a first class honours so was hoping that would show I am capable of passing maths but its not looking hopeful now :frown:
I've invested so much into this and now I'm worried that I haven't a hope in hell of getting a place :frown:

I am doing my national 5 maths as I got a 3 instead of a 2 in 's'grade maths so I fear the Scottish unis will discount me.

I don't have a honours degree so I think my application to Carlisle will be discounted immediately too :frown:

I'm giving up 3 days a week for a whole year to volunteer in a primary school, studying my maths via college, which my business is suffering for. I've even subscribed to the TES magazine and spend a lot of time researching teaching things. I'd be so sad to be discounted for something such as the above.

I've not got honours but I also have an HNC separate from the degree I have. Do the credits from that not count for anything?

Feeling pretty low at the minute :frown:
robinsong and Tinydancer I have a HND too and a degree. Sorry I may be completely wrong but I am pretty sure that SOME NOT all of them discount you if you do not have the grades. I got an interview last year for one uni and I have a friend who got in to Edinburgh this year on a conditional for maths grade so do not give up hope! It depends on the particular uni criteria. I am a great believer in if you do not try you do not get so just remain positive😄 PLUS if you are a mature student they look at those attributes and skills and if you are a parent that is even more to bring to the table. Long way to go yet but we need to all think positive👍🏻

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending