The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry to Veterinary Medicine 2016

Hello!

I know there is a huge thread for Vet. Med. entry 2016 but it seems to be commandeered by mostly undergrads - here's a separate thread for any grads applying :smile:

I've just completed my BSc Zoology and now I'm applying for Vet. Med. this year.

For anyone else applying - how have you aimed your personal statement, having already done a degree?

Funding - how are you funding your degree and do you have any tips on finding sponsors etc.? :smile:

Good luck!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey!

I'm in my final year of my BSc Zoolgy with animal behaviour and am applying now too!

Personal statement is even harder to write than when I first left for uni!

Funding upsets me everytime I think about it... How about you?

Good luck!
Reply 2
Hey, I'm 2018 Grad Applicant but I'm gonna stay with you guys for a while since 2018's don't have their own thread yet. :P
I'm 2nd year Bsc Biochem student.

So Yeah... Funding... How are you guys doing it? I still got a couple of years before even applying, but I'm already saving every penny I've got like some mad person and I'm scared it still won't be enough. :frown:
Reply 3
I'd like to know how you lot are planning on funding it 😥 I'm in my 1st year of Zoology x
Reply 4
Hey! I'm in my last year Zoology and applying this year.

I'm finding the personal statement difficult but I've always found it difficult to write about myself.

With funding I was lucky to get some scholarships during my zoology degree and I'm going to use them to pay the tuition fees.

Where is everyone applying to? Has anyone started the RVC work experience form yet?
Hey, I am in my final year studying pharmacology!

So glad to finally have my application sent away! haha
Hey,
I'm in my final year studying zoo biology. I've got an interview at RVC in early December :smile: anyone else heard back yet? I've applied for RVC, Nottingham & Surrey
(edited 8 years ago)
If anyone needs any info on doing vet med as a grad student just send me a message. I'm a second year vet student at Liverpool and I previously did a degree in biovet science before coming here

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Hey guys!

I hadn't realised so many had replied to this post :smile: I've applied to RVC, Surrey, Bristol and Edinburgh. Got my application in right on the deadline haha and last week I've been offered an interview at RVC. I know its the MMI format for the interview there, does anyone have any experience or knowledge on that? :smile:

Funding-wise, i'm hoping for sponsorship for the majority, if not all, of it... I've been fairly lucky with my part-time employers and fingers crossed they can help me out! Otherwise, I will be working very very hard saving up and applying to grants and trust funds in the next year :wink:

What are people most worried about or looking forward to when studying vetmed as an older graduate? :smile:
Original post by harrietariley
Hey guys!

I hadn't realised so many had replied to this post :smile: I've applied to RVC, Surrey, Bristol and Edinburgh. Got my application in right on the deadline haha and last week I've been offered an interview at RVC. I know its the MMI format for the interview there, does anyone have any experience or knowledge on that? :smile:

Funding-wise, i'm hoping for sponsorship for the majority, if not all, of it... I've been fairly lucky with my part-time employers and fingers crossed they can help me out! Otherwise, I will be working very very hard saving up and applying to grants and trust funds in the next year :wink:

What are people most worried about or looking forward to when studying vetmed as an older graduate? :smile:

As far as MMI's go, enjoy them, they are much nicer than some of the other interview processes, key is to stay calm and think logically!

As far as worries about being an older graduate. Do not fear. No-one in my year actually knows I'm like 6 years older than them, and grads tend to stick together :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
I've just had an interview offer from Edinburgh, and an email from Bristol saying they're still looking through applications and I'm still being considered :smile:
Has anyone else heard anything from where they have applied? I believe Surrey hasn't started giving out interviews yet!
Reply 11
Original post by MollyRuderx
Hey,
I'm in my final year studying zoo biology. I've got an interview at RVC in early November :smile: anyone else heard back yet? I've applied for RVC, Nottingham & Surrey

How did the interview go??
I've got an interview at the RVC on December 2nd. I'm really nervous!
Reply 13
Original post by Petlamby
I've got an interview at the RVC on December 2nd. I'm really nervous!

Congratulations! Mines on the 4th :smile:
Congratulations! Mines on the 4th :smile:

Good luck! How are you preparing for your interview?
Reply 15
Good luck! How are you preparing for your interview?

Just making sure I remember all the things I put down in my personal statement, particularly work experience cases!
I'm trying to make up some ethical scenarios based on what's in the news or what's current in vet med at the moment as practice too :smile: Otherwise though, I'm not sure what else to do! MMI's are all very mysterious...
How about you? :-)
Just making sure I remember all the things I put down in my personal statement, particularly work experience cases!
I'm trying to make up some ethical scenarios based on what's in the news or what's current in vet med at the moment as practice too :smile: Otherwise though, I'm not sure what else to do! MMI's are all very mysterious...
How about you? :-)

Yeah same, I'm finding arguing ethical cases is my weakest point. There's so many things to consider! Other than that I'm reading Defra and RCVS news. What are you wearing? I'm a girl so I was going to wear a blouse and maybe some office trousers but I don't want to look overly formal....
Reply 17
Yeah same, I'm finding arguing ethical cases is my weakest point. There's so many things to consider! Other than that I'm reading Defra and RCVS news. What are you wearing? I'm a girl so I was going to wear a blouse and maybe some office trousers but I don't want to look overly formal....

Yep me too, there's so much to try and think about! I've just had one of my interviews rearranged for the 2nd December, and I'm working all next week at a new vet hospital so I don't know when I'm going to have enough time to prepare! I suppose all it takes is 1 interview going well :smile:
I'm also planning on wearing office trousers and a shirt/blouse. Flat shoes because I'm pretty tall so I don't want to risk falling flat on my face haha! I think it's better to go too smart than too casual :smile:
What was your first degree in?
Yep me too, there's so much to try and think about! I've just had one of my interviews rearranged for the 2nd December, and I'm working all next week at a new vet hospital so I don't know when I'm going to have enough time to prepare! I suppose all it takes is 1 interview going well :smile:
I'm also planning on wearing office trousers and a shirt/blouse. Flat shoes because I'm pretty tall so I don't want to risk falling flat on my face haha! I think it's better to go too smart than too casual :smile:
What was your first degree in?

I'm sure the staff at the hospital could give you some tips! :smile:
My degree was in Chemical and Molecular Biology so not very animal-y... What was yours in?
Reply 19
I'm sure the staff at the hospital could give you some tips! :smile:
My degree was in Chemical and Molecular Biology so not very animal-y... What was yours in?

Yeah they're being great so far!
Ok so not very animal-y but definitely useful as a background! Mine was a BSc Zoology :smile: So not really very animal-y either, just quite a broad basis in physiology and mostly theoretical ecology and conservation topics.
How come you're doing VetMed as a second degree? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending