The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Postgraduate study at York

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I applied for MA in PPE a few weeks back and it says it's still under consideration.

Today, though, I got a (mass) email from the department opening with:
"Dear Clownio,
Spring is in the air, and with that the start date for your MA in PPE gets closer and closer."

Is this a good sign? I think it would be really cruel to put me on the mailing list if they didn't intend to make me an offer but maybe it's an automatic thing for all applicants? I don't know what to make of it
(edited 8 years ago)
University of York
York
Hello Clownio,

If you would like to send a private message to the University of York account with your name and/or applicant ID we will look into this matter for you.

Alternatively you could e-mail your details to [email protected]

thanks,
Mark

Original post by Clownio
I applied for MA in PPE a few weeks back and it says it's still under consideration.

Today, though, I got a (mass) email from the department opening with:
"Dear Clownio,
Spring is in the air, and with that the start date for your MA in PPE gets closer and closer."

Is this a good sign? I think it would be really cruel to put me on the mailing list if they didn't intend to make me an offer but maybe it's an automatic thing for all applicants? I don't know what to make of it
Reply 22
I just called the admission office and apparently there was an error which means this happened to quite a lot of people. Application still under consideration. I feel quite deflated now.
Hi,
I have applied for a taught Masters at the HYMS seven weeks ago. I haven't received any reply so far; according to my you@york-account, my application is still under consideration. I'm getting a little nervous as I really care about this course, I'd love to be accepted! Now I wonder whether there's anything wrong and whether I can do anything. I'd be happy to supply the admissions team with any additional information or clear up anything that's unclear! Do I need to be worried, or is it normal for this process to take this long? Thank you for your information!
Original post by Grauniad
I've got an offer for an MA in Medieval Studies (contingent on getting a high 2:1) and will be looking into (non-university) accommodation. Does anyone know where to start looking to find somewhere reasonably close to the city centre? Thanks

I'm in the same boat! I know the GSA have an event in September where postgrads can find housemates, but that seems awfully late to me... Don't suppose you found anything yet? :smile:
Original post by megan_hazel95
I'm in the same boat! I know the GSA have an event in September where postgrads can find housemates, but that seems awfully late to me... Don't suppose you found anything yet? :smile:

Yeah, September seems an odd time when term starts at the end of the month! I've not yet, no. I've had a few skims on various websites, but it's probably not helped by my being fussy over location! Walmgate was advised to me by the administrator as most of the teaching is apparently done in King's Manor, but it's useful to have the campus relatively accessible
Original post by Grauniad
Yeah, September seems an odd time when term starts at the end of the month! I've not yet, no. I've had a few skims on various websites, but it's probably not helped by my being fussy over location! Walmgate was advised to me by the administrator as most of the teaching is apparently done in King's Manor, but it's useful to have the campus relatively accessible

I've heard this too! Walmgate could be quite expensive though, and yes it's irritating that it's so far away from the main campus. There are a couple of house hunting groups for York students on Facebook if you're having trouble finding somewhere, that's how I found my accommodation :smile:
Reply 27
Hey, I have a question about the Masters in Public Health (MPH).

Obviously the entry requirement is a 2:1, but I was wondering if there is much leniency with getting a 2:2.

I would like to apply to York's MPH, but it's looking like I will graduate with a 2:2 (Biological Sciences from Lancaster Uni), and I was just trying to gauge whether it would actually be worth my time to apply.

Thanks! :smile:

P.S. I hope the fact I went to Lancaster doesn't affect things! #RosesAreRed :wink:
Original post by Dan!
Hey, I have a question about the Masters in Public Health (MPH).

Obviously the entry requirement is a 2:1, but I was wondering if there is much leniency with getting a 2:2.

I would like to apply to York's MPH, but it's looking like I will graduate with a 2:2 (Biological Sciences from Lancaster Uni), and I was just trying to gauge whether it would actually be worth my time to apply.

Thanks! :smile:

P.S. I hope the fact I went to Lancaster doesn't affect things! #RosesAreRed :wink:

Hello,

I think the best thing to do would be to contact the Department of Health Sciences directly to discuss this. They are a very friendly bunch.

Alternatively if you would like to send a private message with your contact details I can have them contact you.

regards,
Mark
Reply 29
Hi, is anyone else experiencing a really long waiting period? My application has been under consideration since early march. I wonder if they're waiting to have all applications before they make a decision? If so, would they notify you about this? I really wonder what's happening there, do any of you have similar issues?
What are the accommodation payment schedules like? Are they paid monthly or in set term blocks much like Undergraduate?

:smile:
Reply 31
Original post by megan_hazel95
I've heard this too! Walmgate could be quite expensive though, and yes it's irritating that it's so far away from the main campus. There are a couple of house hunting groups for York students on Facebook if you're having trouble finding somewhere, that's how I found my accommodation :smile:

Hi Megan
I'm having trouble finding housing groups for York students on Facebook - I can only find the GSA find a housemate one from 2015/16. Could you post the links to the ones you found? Thanks
Original post by simon445
Hi Megan
I'm having trouble finding housing groups for York students on Facebook - I can only find the GSA find a housemate one from 2015/16. Could you post the links to the ones you found? Thanks

Hi Simon
Sorry for the really late reply! I found my accommodation for next year via the general house hunting page, https://www.facebook.com/groups/118076614903325/
Hope this helps :smile:
Hi, I have received a conditional offer for MSc Applied Forensic Psychology, anyone else holding an offer or currently on this course? Also looking for other postgraduates possibly to house-share depending on the availability of on-campus accommodation. :smile:
Hey guys, I'm going to be studying MA Contemporary History and International Politics.
Received a conditional offer for MA Culture, Society and Globalisation weeks ago and got a First from my undergraduate course so am definitely going :smile:

Excited about postgraduate study and meeting new people, worried I'll be the dumbest person there.

Curious how many people will be continuing at York and how many will have switched. Loved my degree and the university, but there were no decent masters courses and I wanted to jump up the league tables
Original post by Arkham Funfair
Received a conditional offer for MA Culture, Society and Globalisation weeks ago and got a First from my undergraduate course so am definitely going :smile:

Excited about postgraduate study and meeting new people, worried I'll be the dumbest person there.

Curious how many people will be continuing at York and how many will have switched. Loved my degree and the university, but there were no decent masters courses and I wanted to jump up the league tables

We may end up sharing a module or two.
Original post by Uncle Tom #2
We may end up sharing a module or two.

I'll look out for whoever looks like they'd have your username. I'll be the awkward one that can't believe she's doing a masters
Reply 38
Original post by Arkham Funfair
I'll look out for whoever looks like they'd have your username. I'll be the awkward one that can't believe she's doing a masters

I think most feel that way, don't worry! Where did you do your undergraduate degree if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by Clownio
I think most feel that way, don't worry! Where did you do your undergraduate degree if you don't mind me asking?

Don't mind you asking at all, I went to Huddersfield. Applied there for a postgraduate course I didn't really want because I didn't think York would say yes but they responded within about a week or two

Quick Reply

Latest