The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Postgraduate study at York

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Arkham Funfair
I'll look out for whoever looks like they'd have your username. I'll be the awkward one that can't believe she's doing a masters

I'll make it easier for you - my name's Tom.
University of York
York
Original post by Uncle Tom #2
I'll make it easier for you - my name's Tom.

I'll stop being a sarcastic git- I'm Zoe :smile: Nice to potentially meet you
I'll stop being a sarcastic git- I'm Zoe :smile: Nice to potentially meet you

Nice to potentially meet you too. I'll keep my eye out for a slightly awkward girl called Zoe.
Reply 43
Hey, my name's Doug, I'm coming to do a Nuclear Fusion MSc next year.

It would be great if someone could answer this question for me, I am to be enrolled for the full 12 month period, as opposed to BSc 9 months, and I am wondering whether this means that I will have to actually be living in York for this entire period, or whether the standard thing is for students to carry on with their summer projects back at home for the last 3 months.

Also, would anyone like to potentially live in a 2/3 filled 3 man house for the year? If you're interested give me a shout on facebook (Doug Lawrence, Selsey)
Original post by Vaspra

It would be great if someone could answer this question for me, I am to be enrolled for the full 12 month period, as opposed to BSc 9 months, and I am wondering whether this means that I will have to actually be living in York for this entire period, or whether the standard thing is for students to carry on with their summer projects back at home for the last 3 months.

Can only give an estimated guess based on other people I know. They are attending classes over summer so have to stay around campus. There's often info about it on the course page but mine doesn't mention it, either. Maybe an MRes would let you go home?

Will be driving in but my car is super old and I live quite far away so don't be surprised* if someone asks to crash on the sofa because her car broke down

*do be surprised. I'm a bit odd but not enough to demand shelter in a stranger's home

Will be driving in but my car is super old and I live quite far away so don't be surprised* if someone asks to crash on the sofa because her car broke down

*do be surprised. I'm a bit odd but not enough to demand shelter in a stranger's home

I'm commuting from Hull - where are you coming from?
I'm commuting from Hull - where are you coming from?

Wakefield. So we've probably got a similar distance to travel
Wakefield. So we've probably got a similar distance to travel

And there I was hoping we could split petrol money...oh well. I have a fun year of two hour bus rides ahead of me - that's plenty of time to do all the reading I need to.
And there I was hoping we could split petrol money...oh well. I have a fun year of two hour bus rides ahead of me - that's plenty of time to do all the reading I need to.

Oh I don't envy the bus journey. But if I ever need to be in Hull there's four spare seats in the car
Reply 49
Hi,

Is there anyone else doing Applied Forensic Psych come September?

And for those of you who said you're still looking for accommodation, I found a room in a shared house on spareroom, definitely worth a look!
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with a quick issue with You@York. I need to upload my degree transcript to prove I've met my academic condition. I did this (or at least I think I did) on tuesday the 12th of july, but I've not heard anything from the York postgrad team, and the pdf of my transcript isn't showing on the table in the documents tab of You@York. Is this likely to be a problem with their website, where it's just taking a while to load for some reason, or should I try to resubmit (I'm cautious of doing that unless I have to, as there's part of the website that specifically asks you not to repeatedly submit documents)?

Thanks
Hello,

It could be that there's an issue with the size of the file, could you try making the pdf a smaller file size and re-loading?

Don't worry, if your degree transcript accidentally gets uploaded a couple of times, it won't be an issue for us.

If you continue to have problems with this, feel free to contact [email protected] and we'll look into this further.

Hope this helps, please let me know if this does or doesn't work.

Mark
Reply 52
Same thing happened to me. I split it into two separate documents to reduce the file size. It needs to show up under 'Documents' for them to see it even if it says upload was successful
Original post by Clownio
Same thing happened to me. I split it into two separate documents to reduce the file size. It needs to show up under 'Documents' for them to see it even if it says upload was successful

Thanks, good advice.

Mark
Thanks to both above responses. I tried turning it into some smaller document (the original was only 0.4MB, so for anyone else needing to upload it may be worth noting that their 1 MB upper limit is maybe a bit ambitious for what can be handled) and that's worked. Cheers!
Hello!

I've met my conditions to start an MA in Philosophy and Economics starting this year and was wondering when we pick our modules or get an idea of our timetable?

I will be coming in from Newcastle so it would also be useful to know if there is any flexibility on switching seminar groups to try to minimize the travel costs or if anybody in here was in a similar situation and would like to work something out travel wise(although I realise that is a bit of a longshot)? It would also be great if anyone could tell me how much a return from the train station to the campus is by bus or if it is reachable by train and roughly how long it takes?

Sorry for so many questions, feeling a little bit anxious about it all.
Original post by ItsJustMeAgain.x
Hello!

I've met my conditions to start an MA in Philosophy and Economics starting this year and was wondering when we pick our modules or get an idea of our timetable?

Commenting to hopefully also get a reply to this. There's an optional module I really want a place on but I'm having problems confirming my place because my university isn't sending degree certificates yet and York won't accept my transcript. Also need a rough timetable because I have to try and keep my job
Original post by ItsJustMeAgain.x
Hello!

I will be coming in from Newcastle so it would also be useful to know if there is any flexibility on switching seminar groups to try to minimize the travel costs or if anybody in here was in a similar situation and would like to work something out travel wise(although I realise that is a bit of a longshot)? It would also be great if anyone could tell me how much a return from the train station to the campus is by bus or if it is reachable by train and roughly how long it takes?

Sorry for so many questions, feeling a little bit anxious about it all.

Hello,

Thanks for your question. We're looking forward to having you join us in Autumn. Sorry for the slight delay in replying.

Watch out for an e-mail from us later in the year inviting you to log into our 'Preparing to Study' site on the University's VLE (Virtual Learning Environment).

There you'll find all the information you need to help you make your module choices for the first term, which you do by downloading a form and e-mailing it in to us.

There'll be lots of other helpful information on the site too, including a blog enabling you to ask questions about modules and chat with your fellow students.

Once we have finalised your module choices, you'll be able to access your timetable. To give you an idea of the timescale, last year's deadline for submitting module choices was 18 September.

Regarding seminar groups, yes, there's usually flexibility to swap to one that might be more suitable for you, subject to there being space in the group and to the swap not creating any timetable clashes for you.

The campus isn't reachable by train, but there are very regular buses from the station and a single ticket will cost you £1.50 (£2 for a return) or just £1.50 for a rail return (bought with a valid train ticket). The journey usually takes about 20 minutes.

I hope this information's helpful. If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask!

Julia Key
Administrative Assistant
School of PEP
Commenting to hopefully also get a reply to this. There's an optional module I really want a place on but I'm having problems confirming my place because my university isn't sending degree certificates yet and York won't accept my transcript. Also need a rough timetable because I have to try and keep my job

Hello,

We only open the optional modules for students to choose towards the end of the autumn term. All modules in the autumn term are mandatory.

If you would like to contact me directly so we can discuss your query further, my contact details are here:

https://www.york.ac.uk/sociology/our-staff/academic/xiaodong-lin/

Best wishes,

Dr Xiaodong Lin
Director of Graduate Studies and Programme Director of MA Culture, Society and Globalization
Original post by University of York
Hello,

Thanks for your question. We're looking forward to having you join us in Autumn. Sorry for the slight delay in replying.

Watch out for an e-mail from us later in the year inviting you to log into our 'Preparing to Study' site on the University's VLE (Virtual Learning Environment).

There you'll find all the information you need to help you make your module choices for the first term, which you do by downloading a form and e-mailing it in to us.

There'll be lots of other helpful information on the site too, including a blog enabling you to ask questions about modules and chat with your fellow students.

Once we have finalised your module choices, you'll be able to access your timetable. To give you an idea of the timescale, last year's deadline for submitting module choices was 18 September.

Regarding seminar groups, yes, there's usually flexibility to swap to one that might be more suitable for you, subject to there being space in the group and to the swap not creating any timetable clashes for you.

The campus isn't reachable by train, but there are very regular buses from the station and a single ticket will cost you £1.50 (£2 for a return) or just £1.50 for a rail return (bought with a valid train ticket). The journey usually takes about 20 minutes.

I hope this information's helpful. If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask!

Julia Key
Administrative Assistant
School of PEP

Thank you for your help, it's greatly appreciated! One more question, do masters students start for freshers' week or go straight into term?
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest