The Student Room Group

Straight A* student, cannot afford Universirty; What do i do?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ad123M
The engineering firm sponsorship sounds like a good idea! You just gave me an adrenaline pump lol. Who should i contact, any ideas? :biggrin:

I would start local but companies who directly relate to your degree, try like CAT, JCB, car companies - literally anywhere and everywhere! Private consultancies!
Original post by Ad123M
Thankyou!, appreciate it. A lot of officials in the Uni and Student Finance acted as if they did not understand what i was trying to express.

Atleast you guys understand :smile:

Getting a job and deferring for 2 years is perfectly feasible, but not ideal of course. I think more than 1 year out of education at that stage can be both frustrating and an impediment to learning.

The advice of applying to US universities is spot on. They tend to offer far more financial support than UK universities despite the high headline costs. With your grades, you should be able to get a scholarship or two.

As a last choice: Cambridge (maybe Oxford) can be quite generous with their financial assistance. I was in a similar position to you and I received funds both from my college and from a Commonwealth trust. It didn't cover all the fees, but it did reduce the burden significantly. It is not guaranteed that you will get the same assistance but the university does try to ensure that no one is unable to take up a place due to costs. Worth an application if you're going to apply to the US as well anyway.
You don`t have many options and the options are :
*Wait one more year until you apply for an indefinite leave to remain and then you can apply for the funding .
*Options 2 : you try to find a sponsor , you can try this http://www.studyin-uk.com/uk-study-info/scholarships/

*Option 3 : go back to Pakistan and study there , I checked on the internet and there are some safe places in there and if it wasn`t safe your parents should`ve applied for asylum in the UK from day 1 they came to this country . Going back to Pakistan to study at uni and getting a degree is a big sacrifice but it is worth if you want to study so don`t give up on your studies .

Good Luck !!
Original post by Ad123M
Seems like an option. The only problem being i am due to recvie home student status by December 2016. Which means i need to defer by 2 years. Everybody is telling me you will forgot all about wanted to study at a Uni if you work for 2 years. More importantly i signed up for Engineering. 2 years without studying will disadvantage he from what i hear.

i doubt i will get a decent job merely on Alevels. All the odds against me aha

Working for two years most certainly will not put you off studying. If anything it will drive you into education even more enthusiastically than now once you've tasted the job market with no real qualifications.
Reply 44
Original post by Oceanrouge
You don`t have many options and the options are :
*Wait one more year until you apply for an indefinite leave to remain and then you can apply for the funding .
*Options 2 : you try to find a sponsor , you can try this http://www.studyin-uk.com/uk-study-info/scholarships/

*Option 3 : go back to Pakistan and study there , I checked on the internet and there are some safe places in there and if it wasn`t safe your parents should`ve applied for asylum in the UK from day 1 they came to this country . Going back to Pakistan to study at uni and getting a degree is a big sacrifice but it is worth if you want to study so don`t give up on your studies .

Good Luck !!

Thankyou for your assistance. I will check the links you provided. I do not think its fair to apply for asylum when it is not required at the time. More importantly i plan on visiting Pakistan someday. An asylum would eliminate that possibility.Things have only gotten worse recently.

I really want to go to a uni here, ive worked so hard for it, prepd for interviews and what not :frown:
Original post by liquity
So can't he get a loan from somewhere? There has got to be somewhere he can pitch his case because those A levels are amazing and for a university to not even help someone with those sorts of results is out of order.

International fees are almost double or even more at most universities, medicine at Cambridge is about £35k a year! That is just course fee, if you add accommodation, college fee and living cost it could easily be £50k a year.
Original post by hihihihihi
International fees are almost double or even more at most universities, medicine at Cambridge is about £35k a year! That is just course fee, if you add accommodation, college fee and living cost it could easily be £50k a year.

I know they're a lot higher and it varies from each university but I think it's mad how no one is giving financial help to get them into their university, who wouldn't want a student like that?!
Reply 47
So your family is here on a business visa which means they had money to invest and that amount required is quite large which most UK people could not pay, now you want the UK tax payer to provide you with free further education that many english people cannot get themselves. Go work in your family's business and stop moaning. If you were doing A levels then you knew you were planning on uni. Your family can take out a loan or pay themselves for your prized further education.

My daughter is 9 and we already talk about uni just so its in her head. You didnt come up with this overnight just got yourself shot with no more free education. Yeah I am a single disabled mother and struggle from morning to night but I support my daughter no matter what. You are not a refugee fleeing war you are here on visa grounds.
Reply 48
Original post by googley
So your family is here on a business visa which means they had money to invest and that amount required is quite large which most UK people could not pay, now you want the UK tax payer to provide you with free further education that many english people cannot get themselves. Go work in your family's business and stop moaning. If you were doing A levels then you knew you were planning on uni. Your family can take out a loan or pay themselves for your prized further education.

My daughter is 9 and we already talk about uni just so its in her head. You didnt come up with this overnight just got yourself shot with no more free education. Yeah I am a single disabled mother and struggle from morning to night but I support my daughter no matter what. You are not a refugee fleeing war you are here on visa grounds.

My family IS a UK tax payer. So your argument is plain wrong. I am not demanding any special treatment. I am not demanding free education. I am not demanding any one else pay for it. What i am demanding for is to be treated the same as other Home students because my family has established a business here and paid there share of taxes and contributed in other ways through 4 year settlement. Please read up on how strict the investment category is before sounding so uninformed; we have worked are a**es off just like any other UK taxpayer.

And no as i mentioned in previous posts, we did not forsee this cost 4 years in advance.I came here in year 10.
Reply 49
Original post by maxjcooper
Yeah I'd say take a year out to get some work experience maybe and then look to apply the following year. That way you'll gain an advantage as you'll have amazing results AND relevant work experience - an absolute no brainer for top universities. I mean, you only have to wait another year until you become a UK resident and are entitled to student loans... Right?

Sadly, i get ILR one month after the 2016 term. So it seems like a two year gap atm.
Look at sponsored degrees, or sponsored degree programmes. Only problem is, they don't really cater to A* students and you might feel like you're wasting such good grades. There are some very good sponsored degree programmes in engineering at Jaguar Land Rover
Reply 51
two years is not too long. Try finding a job you enjoy/relevant to what you want to. Experience will also look great on your CV.
Reply 52
Original post by zkrjebril
What about the BP Stem Scholarship? That would take 5 grand off your back a year for free if you apply with grades AAA or better.

Thankyou! Seems promising, i have just dropped them an email!
Reply 53
Original post by Xlxl23
two years is not too long. Try finding a job you enjoy/relevant to what you want to. Experience will also look great on your CV.

Everybody has given me positive vibes about the 2 year gap thing. If all else fails i know i can fall back on this :smile: Thanks!
Original post by googley

Are you a daily mail reader by any chance?
OP - you've been given some excellent advice in this thread. Whatever you do in your gap year, make the most of it. Good luck!
Hello ,
I asked an international student who got his fees paid by an organisation and he said to me that you have to be living in an underdeveloped country 2 years prior to the start of your course .
There maybe an exception for you because of your results , please check this http://www.chevening.org/ and hopefully they will be able to help you .
Good luck .

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending