The Student Room Group
On campus building at University of South Wales
University of South Wales

Art Psychotherapy Uni of South Wales

Hello,

Does anyone do the Art Psychotherapy course at the Uni of South Wales? I'm just wondering what its like/ how much time is spent on art as opposed to placements or therapy etc.

Thanks in advance.
(edited 8 years ago)
(trying to get this back up)
On campus building at University of South Wales
University of South Wales
Reply 2
Also wanting to know this too! Really interested in the financial side and how much roughly the 3 years in tuition fees and living expenses will cost. There is an open evening coming up on the 20th January where you may get the answers you need in regards to how much time is spent making art/working in placements.
Original post by lookingforhelp
Hello,

Does anyone do the Art Psychotherapy course at the Uni of South Wales? I'm just wondering what its like/ how much time is spent on art as opposed to placements or therapy etc.

Thanks in advance.

Hey, I have the same question you did a year ago. I am researching where to study my MA in Art Psychotherapy/Therapy next year or the year after. I wondered if you could give me any advice (if you are/were on the course) and what your experiences have been like?

Thanks in advance, i hope your course is going really well :smile:

Kate
Hey! So I’ve just finished my 2nd year in Newport doing the Art Psychotherapy course (1 more year to go). I could write you a whole essay on what it’s like, but in a nutshell my experience has ranged between the hardest thing I’ve ever done to the best thing I have ever done. It has ruined yet transformed many of my relationships due to the nature of understanding and learning more and more about yourself and your unconscious as the course goes on- especially in the first year. It has financially crippled me but I have connections and placements all over the south west which I’m incredibly grateful for. It’s very difficult to juggle life with this course, I wouldn’t recommend it if you have very young children, you’re in a rocky relationship, your financially stuck, your mentally unstable. I can’t stress enough how important it is for you to ALREADY be in therapy before you start this course, it’s so important! Hmm in regards to artwork, it depends, do you need to work to support yourself financially? If so, you can kiss your art making days away! It’s entirely up to your availability and what you do in your life. I work 2 jobs, I have a social life, I have placement, therapy and uni ... finding the time to actually make art work is very difficult. But that’s just my experience! Please feel free to ask anymore questions!
Hey, thanks for responding!
So would you say art making is not a big part of the course? Other courses i am looking at have it playing quite a central role, but maybe that is up to the individual? So are there facilities to try different mediums? Like ceramics or textiles? I'd be more than happy to read an essay on your thoughts! I have only recently decided S Wales could be an option, i was quite set on a 2 year full time course, but i think that would be very intense. Yes, i have no plans to get into a relationship whilst studying, have kids or anything like that. I will have to work of course, to make ends meet. I have had therapy in the past and feel like i am stable and strong enough to do it, but i shall see where i'm at when the time comes to apply. Oh, and how is life in Newport? Is it a nice place to be, is it fairly alternative, I'd like to live somewhere that is fairly on the pulse.
Thanks again :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending