The Student Room Group

Official OCR A2 Psychology Thread 2015-2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by annieprincess
Any predictions for either forensic psychology or health and clinical?

Would be great! Thanks

(i dont do: reaching a verdict, or healthy living)
basically, its difficult to predict because topics (such as the cognitive interview which came up as a part a in 2014 and 2015) can come up two years in a row. however i went through all the past paper questions and this info might be useful (only in terms of part as):

topics that have never come up: case of false confession in forensic, combined measures of stress, and the behavioural treatment of stress (biofeedback)
topics that have come up three times or more (possibly less likely to come up?): cognitive interview, behavioural treatment of DB, biological explanation of DB
Forensic topics which havent come up for a long time: gender differences, bottom up approach, criminal thinking patterns, detecting lies, Anger management(all 2010) brain dysfunction, case study of profiling, factors influencing identification(all 2011)
clinical topics which havent come up for a long time: outline a psychotic disorder, physiological measure of stress (both 2010) hassles stress (2011)
Original post by Zanscape
(i dont do: reaching a verdict, or healthy living)
basically, its difficult to predict because topics (such as the cognitive interview which came up as a part a in 2014 and 2015) can come up two years in a row. however i went through all the past paper questions and this info might be useful (only in terms of part as):

topics that have never come up: case of false confession in forensic, combined measures of stress, and the behavioural treatment of stress (biofeedback)
topics that have come up three times or more (possibly less likely to come up?): cognitive interview, behavioural treatment of DB, biological explanation of DB
Forensic topics which havent come up for a long time: gender differences, bottom up approach, criminal thinking patterns, detecting lies, Anger management(all 2010) brain dysfunction, case study of profiling, factors influencing identification(all 2011)
clinical topics which havent come up for a long time: outline a psychotic disorder, physiological measure of stress (both 2010) hassles stress (2011)

Thank you!
Forensic:
think any 3 from the biological approach to turning to crime may appear (that's brain dysfunction, genes and gender). The cognitive is also likely (that's criminal thinking patterns, moral development and social cognition.) I guess false confessions (the case study of FC) and bottom up approach or case study of John Duffy are also likely from Making A Case.

Hope I'm right!
Reaching a verdict:
- Minority influence hasn't come up in a long while, that section is likely.

Healthy living:
- Methods of health promotion has come up for the past 2 occasions, they might make it 3 like they did with treatments of disorders a while back, but you never know.
- Locus of control as a theory of health belief is likely.
Original post by Craig1998
Reaching a verdict:

Healthy living:
- Methods of health promotion has come up for the past 2 occasions, they might make it 3 like they did with treatments of disorders a while back, but you never know.

Ooh, locus of control won't be that bad actually, quite short and to-the-point :biggrin:
Original post by Craig1998
Reaching a verdict:

Healthy living:

Minority influence came up last year!
The A part of one of last year's questions was focused on minority influence, and the B part was validity of research into Reaching A Verdict.
Original post by Hiyabecca
Minority influence came up last year!
The A part of one of last year's questions was focused on minority influence, and the B part was validity of research into Reaching A Verdict.

Oops, it might've been majority influence.
I got a booklet from the college which had everything colourcoded so you could try and guess what questions were likely, one of them hadn't come up since June 2010 or something.
If anyone doesn't know what questions were asked in last year's June 2015 paper, here they are:

*Disrupted Families - how can research into upbringing show support for the nurture argument?

*Minority influence - validity of research into reaching a verdict.

*Order of testimony - evaluate methodology of research into persuading a jury.

*Depression/suicide risk in jail - reliability of research into imprisonment.

Regarding health -

*Fear arousal - evaluate the usefulness of health promotion.

*Lack of control - ethics into researching stress causes

*Biological explanation of dysfunctional behavior - evaluate different explanations

*Behavioral treatments of a disorder - evaluate appropriateness of other treatments for a disorder.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 268
Does anyone have any reliable predictions for what may come up in forensics and education please? Thank you!
If anyone doesn't know what questions were asked in last year's June 2015 paper, here they are:

*Disadvantaged Families - how can research into upbringing show support for the nurture argument?

*Minority influence - validity of research into reaching a verdict.

*Oder of testimony - evaluate methodology of research into persuading a jury.

*Depression/suicide risk in jail - reliability of research into imprisonment.

Regarding health -

*Fear arousal - evaluate the usefulness of health promotion.

*Lack of control - ethics into researching stress causes

*Biological explanation of dysfunctional behavior - evaluate different explanations

*Behavioral treatments of a disorder - evaluate appropriateness of other treatments for a disorder.

do you mean disrupted families? also i thought the cognitive interview came up last year??
for G544, does anyone have a list of which A2 studies are under which approach or perspective? if so, please send it to me/ post it here!
what's the difference between social desirability and demand characteristics??
Original post by mariaaa786
what's the difference between social desirability and demand characteristics??

social desirability is when a participant lies about their thought or behaviours bc the truth is embarrassing or socially unacceptable - eg: questionnaire asks if they pick their nose and they say no bc they dont want people to know they do
demand characteristics is when the participant guesses the aim of the study and they consciously or subconsciously manipulate their behaviour or answers to help the experimenter achieve the results which they think the experimenter is looking for
do you mean disrupted families? also i thought the cognitive interview came up last year??

Sorry i meant disrupted families (Farrington), and the cognitive interview came up in the 2014 paper.
If a question comes up on reliability for a 15 marker and you can only think of positives i.e. For interviewing witnesses i can only think of how it was reliable but could think of how its not.. Is that okay... Or do we have to try to balance the arguement?
social desirability is when a participant lies about their thought or behaviours bc the truth is embarrassing or socially unacceptable - eg: questionnaire asks if they pick their nose and they say no bc they dont want people to know they do
demand characteristics is when the participant guesses the aim of the study and they consciously or subconsciously manipulate their behaviour or answers to help the experimenter achieve the results which they think the experimenter is looking for

ohhh now that makes sense. thank-you :smile:
Original post by 28/01/2016
If a question comes up on reliability for a 15 marker and you can only think of positives i.e. For interviewing witnesses i can only think of how it was reliable but could think of how its not.. Is that okay... Or do we have to try to balance the arguement?

Im pretty sure it has to b a balanced argument or atleast have one negattiv. Im sure there will be something - thing about the research method for example if it if a field or natural experiment tehn there will be extraneous variables, or if its self-report then social desiablity would occur, etc
Original post by 28/01/2016

I do agree that's a really hard question as all studies within that section had tight controls. However you could talk about how in the field test of the Cognitive interview, only 16 participants were used, and one dropped out. As the sample size is so small, it may not give consistent results due to individual differences in participants possibly biasing the results. This is an example of poor external reliability.

I can't think of a second point though, to give two weaknesses of reliability.
Hey guys,could anyone plz read this part b answer that I did and give me feedback on it.To whatextent does the biological approach provide an explanation of criminalbehaviour(15)The biological approach to criminal behaviour explains thatwhetehr or not a person becomes a criminal is down to their biology. Thisincludes gender, geness, hormones, etc.These ca all influence a person to turn to crime. However, a lot of the researchmthods are flawed and fail to show a great extent to the biological approachprovding an explanation for criminal behaviour. To an extent the biological approach is able to provide an explanationfor criminal behaviour as t is usefu;. Ffor example, Rraine study into understandingaggressive and antisocial behaviour in childten was useful as he concluded thatearly intervention and prevention couldbe usefulin revesing the biological deficits that predispose an individual to antisocialbehaviour. This is useful as it hows that there is an effective way of pervertingan individual from turning to crime. However a problem with the biological approach is that it isvery reductionist. The approach fails to show how other factors can influence criminalbehaviour as it only takes into account the nature side of the nature-nurturedebate. For example, Brunner et al’s study which investigate mental retardationand abnormal violent behaviour of males ina family in the Netherlnads,concluded that this was due to the deficit of the enzyme MAOA. But they didn’t lookat the cognition or the experienes of the males to show how this could haveinlfuneced their behaviour, despite the fact that there is many research whichshows how important these factors are in influencing criminal behaviour. A good point about the biological approach as an explanation of criminak behaviour is thatit is reliable due to the use of scientific methods. BRNNER ET AL used urinesamples in their stdy to assess the levels of hromones and enzymes In theirbody and how this could have infucneced their behaviour. Thye found a deficit of the enzyme MAOA which led too impairedserotonin metabilsm Ths ias a relable method to use to support the bilogivaexpanaon of criminak behaviour.Overall, the bilogival approach to a great extent I able toprvide an exapanation of criminal behaviour, due to using reliable methods andalso the usefullness of the resercah.
I knwo youre all busy with ur own revison but please any feedback would be greatly appreciated and i wouldnt mind helping u out too. thank-you :smile:
Sorry i meant disrupted families (Farrington), and the cognitive interview came up in the 2014 paper.

Do you know what came up in Sport by any chance? :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending