The Student Room Group

The Truth About The Migrant Crisis

Everything that needs to be said.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BDqzmG-rH8

Scroll to see replies

Sheltered white (presumably) middle class kid makes angry video about something he has no hope of understanding the first thing about.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Reply 2
Original post by TheDefiniteArticle
Sheltered white (presumably) middle class kid makes angry video about something he has no hope of understanding the first thing about.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Have you watched any of it? I'd wager that it's not what you're expecting.
Original post by #Ridwan
Have you watched any of it? I'd wager that it's not what you're expecting.

I watched more than enough to get the point - and I couldn't put up with his irritating mannerism of SPEAKING IN A VERY LOUD AND GRANDIOSE MANNER to accompany his "VERY IMPORTANT POINT" any longer.
Reply 4
People are slowly warming to what the migrant crisis really is, only the left and deluded are hanging on to the concept they may actually be refugees. This is despite all evidence that only 1 in 5 are from Syria, majority are men (90%+) and they have passed through very safe countries and continue to officially no longer making them refugees, but economic migrants.
Reply 5
I watched more than enough to get the point - and I couldn't put up with his irritating mannerism of SPEAKING IN A VERY LOUD AND GRANDIOSE MANNER to accompany his "VERY IMPORTANT POINT" any longer.

Good to see that you're willing to engage with the issue at hand.
Original post by #Ridwan
Good to see that you're willing to engage with the issue at hand.

I have, and will continue to do so. Engaging with the issue and being willing to listen to some youtuber going off on one are pretty much mutually exclusive.
Have you noticed how it has dropped off the radar of the media on a daily basis, even though they are still landing in Greece every day in growing numbers?
Reply 8
I have, and will continue to do so. Engaging with the issue and being willing to listen to some youtuber going off on one are pretty much mutually exclusive.

Or, in other words, willingly burying your head in the sand because his arguments are better than yours, so you resort to ad hom instead.
Reply 9
I take the vid very seriously because white people know everything even if they have never been near the middle east or met a single migrant in their lives.
Reply 10
Original post by Maker
I take the vid very seriously because white people know everything even if they have never been near the middle east or met a single migrant in their lives.

So his argument is invalid because he's white. Seems reasonable.

Could you guys sink any lower? Just when I think you guys couldn't get any more facile, they do.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by #Ridwan
So his argument is invalid because he's white. Seems reasonable.

Could you guys sink any lower? Just when I think you guys couldn't get any more facile, they do.

His argument isn't invalid because he's white, his argument isn't worth listening to because he's not in any position where he'd have any particular reason to be worth listening to (i.e. he isn't an insider, he isn't particularly qualified - academically or otherwise - to talk about the matter), and then he has to overcome the additional hurdle of his incredibly irritating presentation style.

Link a reputable source and sure, I'll read it.
Reply 12
His argument isn't invalid because he's white, his argument isn't worth listening to because he's not in any position where he'd have any particular reason to be worth listening to (i.e. he isn't an insider, he isn't particularly qualified - academically or otherwise - to talk about the matter), and then he has to overcome the additional hurdle of his incredibly irritating presentation style.

Link a reputable source and sure, I'll read it.

I've yet to see any academic perspectives on this issue from either side tbh.

The left's arguments seem to be based around claiming that everyone migrating to Europe is a refugee (without providing any evidence), as well as making ludicrous and offensive comparisons to Jews fleeing Nazi Germany (again without making any robust argument).

PJ Watson may not be an academic but his arguments are no less credible than those put forward by those who think we should let everybody in. They're more plausible than the arguments made by proponents of letting everyone in as well.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by #Ridwan
I've yet to see any academic perspectives on this issue from either side tbh.

The left's arguments seem to be based around claiming that everyone migrating to Europe is a refugee (without providing any evidence), as well as making ludicrous and offensive comparisons to Jews fleeing Nazi Germany (again without making any robust argument).

PJ Watson may not be an academic but his arguments are no less credible than those put forward by those who think we should let everybody in. They're more plausible than the arguments made by proponents of letting everyone in as well.

Enough newspapers - more worthwhile sources than some youtuber - have covered the point that his opinions are utterly irrelevant.
Reply 14
Enough newspapers - more worthwhile sources than some youtuber - have covered the point that his opinions are utterly irrelevant.

Anyone can get on their soapbox in a newspaper, ill-informed opinions are ten-a-penny.

You say that you need academic backup before you change your mind, but apparently newspapers are a good enough source for you now, which aren't academic in the slightest.
Original post by #Ridwan
Anyone can get on their soapbox in a newspaper, ill-informed opinions are ten-a-penny.

You say that you need academic backup before you change your mind, but apparently newspapers are a good enough source for you now, which aren't academic in the slightest.

I say that I need better sources - not to change my mind, but for it to be worth the time to take to listen to it - than some youtuber (a source which really is the lowest of the low, lower even than the worst of the tabloids).
He's blaming left wing politicians? What about the right wing politicians who start wars for profit and then we end up with desperate refugees at our borders in Europe?

Nonsense. Just look at him. haha
Reply 17
I say that I need better sources - not to change my mind, but for it to be worth the time to take to listen to it - than some youtuber (a source which really is the lowest of the low, lower even than the worst of the tabloids).

Well no, it isn't. In what way is a Youtuber a less credible source than somebody writing in a newspaper? Ffs Katie Hopkins has her own newspaper column.
Reply 18

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

So because someone is white and middle class their opinion is automatically worthless?
Original post by #Ridwan
Well no, it isn't. In what way is a Youtuber a less credible source than somebody writing in a newspaper? Ffs Katie Hopkins has her own newspaper column.

What % of youtubers are credible? Hint: it's very very low. What % of people writing in newspapers are credible? Still low but much higher.

Original post by Cataldo
So because someone is white and middle class their opinion is automatically worthless?

I should start by stating that I'm white and middle class. I don't think my opinion on the matter should be listened to per se unless someone is trying to argue with me specifically. I wouldn't have taken exception had OP presented an argument of his own, because then it's something we can engage more effectively and argue with. OPs who post a youtube link are dull and should lrn2originalthought

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending