The Student Room Group

Uni TV License

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by temi.h.o.
I swear on their website is says you don't need a license if you are watching live tv on a device that isn't plugged in, my old flatmate did.a lot of reading up on that
Or just watch shows later

It does say that - you don't need a TV licence if what you're watching it on is powered by its own batteries.
Direct quote '
Their parents’ licence also won’t cover them, unless the student only ever uses devices that are powered solely by their own internal batteries, and they don’t plug them into an aerial or the mains.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/for-your-home/students-aud1
Original post by temi.h.o.
I swear on their website is says you don't need a license if you are watching live tv on a device that isn't plugged in, my old flatmate did.a lot of reading up on that
Or just watch shows later

According to this site you do but what you said also makes sense...

http://portal.ask4.com/support/additional-services/4tv/
Reply 22
The website is a bit misleading as well. I looked (to see if it was worth me getting a license) and it said that you could reclaim the money for any unused license (e.g. when you go back home over the summer) as long as you have at least 3 months left on it.

It then said that it would therefore be better to get your license earlier in the year.

Which means you're less likely to have at least 3 months left at the end of the year.

Which is blatant misinformation.

I haven't got a license. I don't need one. Especially not if they're going to mislead people into paying lots of money at the worst possible time.
Original post by Sammydemon
If I tell you that if you don't reply to this post you're going to be fined £500, would you believe me and make a reply?

No because you don't know any details about me and you (probably) don't have the power to fine people arbitrarily.
To clarify, this post is a reply to your question rather than a post to stop you from fining me.
I got spammed to death by letters off these people, ignored every one of them. They didn't send anyone round, not that I'd have cared, I didn't have a working telly and I'd be glad they wasted one of their inspector's time and their money sending someone round after all the threats they sent me. As far as I was concerned they could **** right off, I wasn't going to engage with them.
Original post by chloeap
It does say that - you don't need a TV licence if what you're watching it on is powered by its own batteries.
Direct quote '
Their parents’ licence also won’t cover them, unless the student only ever uses devices that are powered solely by their own internal batteries, and they don’t plug them into an aerial or the mains.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/for-your-home/students-aud1

Well that's very clear now but why does it say here you need a TV licence? http://portal.ask4.com/support/additional-services/4tv/
Reply 26
Original post by chloeap
if they were to knock on your door (they won't)

I've had them knock on my door twice.
'TV Licensing' is a trading name which is used by contractors, not the BBC, the main one being Capita plc - a service company notorious for poor performance and excessive profits. Would you let any other limited company hassle you for information you aren't required to provide?
Reply 28
Original post by Sameer599
Well that's very clear now but why does it say here you need a TV licence? http://portal.ask4.com/support/additional-services/4tv/

You've misunderstood.

If you're on a portable device while at uni then you are covered by your parent's licence.. so you do still have a licence.
Reply 29
Original post by Sameer599

Because in general to watch live TV you do - but there are exceptions - as it also says on that website for further details refer to the actual tv licensing website ! Which is what the more accurate information I gave came from.
Original post by morgan8002
you (probably) don't have the power to fine people arbitrarily.

Neither does anyone else.
Reply 31
Original post by Reue
I've had them knock on my door twice.

It's happened to a couple of friends - that's why it's worth people knowing that they aren't obliged to let them in without a warrant (they're a private company). All I was meaning is that generally they send so many letters out that they don't stand a chance of personally following up every one, so just because you have a letter doesn't mean they will (I know that's not actually what I said, sorry!).
We got some of these letters whilst at uni. They gave up sending the letters after a few months of us not replying. And no-one turned up.
Original post by Good bloke
Neither does anyone else.

Yes they do.
Reply 34
Yes they do.

Are you suggesting that anyone can arbitrarily fine someone else for no good reason? (I can't think of any examples of this)
Because as far as I was aware you need a pretty decent reason for a fine to be legally enforceable - not responding to a letter is not a good enough reason, trust us!
Original post by Reue
You've misunderstood.

If you're on a portable device while at uni then you are covered by your parent's licence.. so you do still have a licence.

Thanks for clarifying, put my mind at ease now lol.
No because you don't know any details about me and you (probably) don't have the power to fine people arbitrarily.
To clarify, this post is a reply to your question rather than a post to stop you from fining me.

TV licensing don't know anything about you or OP and also do not have the power to fine arbitrarily. What's the difference?

EDIT: After seeing other messages I'll clarify for you. Only the courts and police (under special circumstances) can issue fines. And certainly none can be given arbitrarily.
(edited 8 years ago)
If it is just a scare-tactic, how is it legal? Surely sending people demands for money using misinformation is just scamming? I just find it really difficult to believe that they're sending legal letters out en-masse with absolutely no evidence backing it up, and if that genuinely is the case, I don't understand why it's allowed.
Yes they do.

Do you know what "arbitrary" means?
Reply 39
Original post by Plagioclase
If it is just a scare-tactic, how is it legal? Surely sending people demands for money using misinformation is just scamming? I just find it really difficult to believe that they're sending legal letters out en-masse with absolutely no evidence backing it up, and if that genuinely is the case, I don't understand why it's allowed.

It's legal because if you actually read the wording of the letters they appear misleading but are actually correct.

Terms such as:

- Enforcement agents may visit your house
- They can take a statement under caution
- You may be taken to court
- The courts can impose a fine of up to £1000

Are all strictly true, but very misleading by suggesting all of that will happen.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending