The Student Room Group

GCSE or A Level

Hi all,

I am new to the group. I'm in my early 30s and looking at studying Psychology either GCSE or A Level. I struggle with English Essay writing and explaining things and tend to waffle without getting to the point. I see on the papers that A Level requires a lot more essay writing type questions. Is this a skill you develop throughout the course? I would prefer to do the A Level just worried it will be too much. I have GCSE English and Maths which I got B and a GNVQ advanced - merit. Any tips or advice?
If you think you can handle it I'd go for the A-level.

I'd recommend this site for revision and essay technique: http://brain-freeze.co.uk/psychologyasnotes.html
Reply 2
A levels are worth much more than GCSE's. I'd do A level.
What are you studying Psychology for? Is it for pleasure or work?

If for pleasure, then why not do the GCSE then A-Level afterwards? Though my recollection of A-level Psychology is that it covers topics in very superifical detail and does not really immerse you into the world of Psychology (though that may be my experience). I'd imagine that GCSE would be even more so.

I doubt that doing the A-level in Psychology would be enough to significantly enhance your essay writing skills. Most students are coming from their GCSE's where they've written lots of them and will be studying other subjects - thus they'll be practicising essays a lot. Whereas you'll be stdying the one course. You could do a lot of exam practice and see if the teacher will mark some of it for you?
GCSE psychology is pretty easy compared to A level. There's a lot more content at A level and learning it takes a really long time. A2 is a memory game completely. If you want to learn GCSE psychology there's loads of resources and this covers all the exam boards:

http://www.GCSEpsychology.com

A level is really hard and the most popular exam board is AQA A. The exams have changed recently however and its become even more harder due to their linear nature where you have to sit the exams at the end of your course respective of if your doing AS or A LEVEL.

You can do A level without having to do GCSE psychology however so you don't need one to do the other either.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending