The Student Room Group

Personal statement help.

I have written one sentence of my personal statement. I am looking to study English Literature with Creative Writing at either Newcastle, Edinburgh, Oxford Brookes or UEA. I know how to structure it, I just can't start it. Can anyone give me some advice please? Thank you.
Skip to the first main paragraph and do that first. Write out everything you want to mention in bullet points and then go back and turn those bullet points into sentences. After that you can go and fill in extra details.
Reply 2
Original post by albertrobson1
I have written one sentence of my personal statement. I am looking to study English Literature with Creative Writing at either Newcastle, Edinburgh, Oxford Brookes or UEA. I know how to structure it, I just can't start it. Can anyone give me some advice please? Thank you.

Oh man, the old personal statement. It's a tough one isn't it.

Personally what I did was skip the beginning, and came back to it much later.

Perhaps split the writing into temporary headings and sub-headings, and come up with an order. So something like

Journey to the decision to study the course

Any writing experience, or other work, achievements
Character traits advantageous to the course
Character traits advantageous to university/committed study
Hobbies and interests
Future aspirations

Close

And with all this, try to back up what you say with your experiences. Like don't say, I'm hard-working, I'm mature, I'm a good writer Talk about things you have done that clearly show these qualities.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending