The Student Room Group

English vs Scottish Universities

I've tried researching and can't find much, and the Scottish uni websites seem to assume the reader knows how the system works. This may be because there are no big differences but I just want to be sure. If I get offers I will visit Scotland to look at whichever ones offer me a place but I can't go pre-application.

I am aware Scottish unis take 4 years to graduate at, whilst unis in england take 3. Other than this I know nothing else, could someone tell me if there are any differences in course structure or content?

I am familiar with the US college system (liberal arts for 2 years then you can major/minor), do Scottish unis do the same thing and if so do they allow majoring and minoring of subjects?

I'd like to do Economics (with a minor in maths if possible), from what I've gathered Edinburgh and St Andrews are the two top ones, could someone help me out distinguishing the two and which one is better than the other for Economics (rankings seem to say Edinburgh but rankings can be bulls**t).

I'm applying through UCAS, is the standard 80% course (which would only be about Economics with how I like maths application) and 20% extra-curricular personal statement english unis ask for still acceptable?

thank you in advance, I hope that made sense
Reply 1
I would say the Scottish 4 year degree is halfway between the English one and the US system.

You enter the university with a degree intention ("Economics" or "Economics and Maths" most likely in your case). In teh first year 1/3 of you time is core modules for each subject and the rest you can fill with other things. So you could do the core economics and maths modules and have 1/3 of your time left for optional modules in those subjects or modules in something else entirely.

In second year each core course is half your time, so if you do core economics and maths that fills your timetable. Students with excellent A levels can usually enter second year directly.

It's fairly easy to change degree intention in 1st and 2nd year provided you have done the right modules. So you can switch between economics, maths, economics and maths pretty easily. If you take somethign else as a third subject in your first year and fall in love with it you can even switch to that.

At the end of second year you can enter honours in any subject (or pair of subjects in most cases) where you have decent grades in the second year core modules. You will then do your main subject more or less 100% time (or 50/50 for joint honours) for two years to graduate. An MMath or similar adds another honours year.
Original post by SL1235
I would say the Scottish 4 year degree is halfway between the English one and the US system.

You enter the university with a degree intention ("Economics" or "Economics and Maths" most likely in your case). In teh first year 1/3 of you time is core modules for each subject and the rest you can fill with other things. So you could do the core economics and maths modules and have 1/3 of your time left for optional modules in those subjects or modules in something else entirely.

In second year each core course is half your time, so if you do core economics and maths that fills your timetable. Students with excellent A levels can usually enter second year directly.

It's fairly easy to change degree intention in 1st and 2nd year provided you have done the right modules. So you can switch between economics, maths, economics and maths pretty easily. If you take somethign else as a third subject in your first year and fall in love with it you can even switch to that.

At the end of second year you can enter honours in any subject (or pair of subjects in most cases) where you have decent grades in the second year core modules. You will then do your main subject more or less 100% time (or 50/50 for joint honours) for two years to graduate. An MMath or similar adds another honours year.

Thank you so much! That explains a lot!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SL1235

Just another question, how different is the method of teaching a course?
In England unis tend to just have large scale lectures a few weeks with a lot of outside reading and small tuition groups. Is the way of teaching the same or does it consist of school classes that is be used to from secondary school?

Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by MeerkatSwag
Just another question, how different is the method of teaching a course?
In England unis tend to just have large scale lectures a few weeks with a lot of outside reading and small tuition groups. Is the way of teaching the same or does it consist of school classes that is be used to from secondary school?

Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same as English Unis. There are variations between subjects and institutions, but I can't think of a systematic difference between England and Scotland.

Quick Reply