The Student Room Group

Why is it Cool to be Rude and Arrogant??

I am sure most of you would have noticed that now it has become a norm to be rude, arrogant, disrespectful and basically show the I don't care attitude. People think its cool to be rude and arrogant. Especially some of the guys think it makes them appear strong and alpha-ish. Its affecting youngsters they think its cool to be like this way, cool to be rude to your parents, cool to be rude to elders, cool to be rude to weak people. What is happening here how can it be cool?.

Scroll to see replies

Who said it was cool?:erm:

always thought we associated them with the term of " a ****head"?
(edited 8 years ago)
Because they think its funny, same as above we associate them as dickheads.
not noticed
Americanism?
a gentleman would never be rude
unfortunately being too nice gets you nowhere :frown:
Don't think I've noticed this.
Darude ... Sandstorm

Spoiler

Original post by jedanselemyia

Not necessarily.
Original post by Warrior Gene
Not necessarily.

In my experience, no. I try curbing being nice sometimes but it's my personality so I don't want to change it.
What makes you think that?
In my experience, no. I try curbing being nice sometimes but it's my personality so I don't want to change it.
What makes you think that?

It depends one the situation too. But one should not be rude/harsh to others. I personally have faced problems too because of being too nice to some people, but I believe it depends on the situation and also the person you are dealing with.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Warrior Gene
It depends one the situation too. But one should not be rude/harsh to others. I personally have faced problems too because of being too nice to some people, but I believe it depends on the situation and also the person you are dealing with.

I think I understand. Sometimes I get answered in a rude/condescending manner despite trying to be nice as possible so you do wonder if it's worth it.
But it's about finding the right balance, you're right. Standing up for yourself is very important and rude people don't really deserve to be talked to nicely.
I disagree. It's clearly far cooler to be in touch with your emotional side, believe in mythologies like 'the patriarchy', and adopt the only acceptable standard of behaviour in modern society: femininity.

I mean, you have a problem, clearly, with everyone who isn't conforming to a feminine standard of behaviour, so really, they're the 'out group', eh? How can you make them conform? Perhaps string them up by the neck and lynch them for failing to pay homage to the religion of women?

Was that rude and arrogant enough for you?

It's also pathological. In my experience, 'niceness' is best characterised by people who simply believe nothing is perfect, and, until it's perfect, we must adopt the most extreme attitudes and behaviours to make everyone conform to their perceived standard of perfection.

You can't micro manage billions of people. Long story short: people only care about themselves, irrespective of how much they may claim otherwise. Even 'nice' people are needy people, extending the arm of friendship for no other reason that it helps bolster their own self-esteem.

Humanity = self-interested. As soon as you all accept this, you'll be infinitely happier.
Original post by TheCitizenAct
I disagree. It's clearly far cooler to be in touch with your emotional side, believe in mythologies like 'the patriarchy', and adopt the only acceptable standard of behaviour in modern society: femininity.

I mean, you have a problem, clearly, with everyone who isn't conforming to a feminine standard of behaviour, so really, they're the 'out group', eh? How can you make them conform? Perhaps string them up by the neck and lynch them for failing to pay homage to the religion of women?

Was that rude and arrogant enough for you?

Saying you hate feminists would be an understatement.
My thoughts entirely Warrior Gene.

One should always be chivalrous, much like myself :biggrin:
Saying you hate feminists would be an understatement.

I hate everyone and anyone who invokes mythology (the patriarchy) to make everyone conform to their conceptualisation of right and wrong, or erode individual liberty.
Original post by Ser Alex Toyne
My thoughts entirely Warrior Gene.

One should always be chivalrous, much like myself :biggrin:

Why would you want to be chivalrous?
Original post by TheCitizenAct
It's also pathological. In my experience, 'niceness' is best characterised by people who simply believe nothing is perfect, and, until it's perfect, we must adopt the most extreme attitudes and behaviours to make everyone conform to their perceived standard of perfection.

You can't micro manage billions of people. Long story short: people only care about themselves, irrespective of how much they may claim otherwise. Even 'nice' people are needy people, extending the arm of friendship for no other reason that it helps bolster their own self-esteem.

Humanity = self-interested. As soon as you all accept this, you'll be infinitely happier.

I didn't really get the first part but it sounds like an analogy for your hate for feminism. :redface:

I'm alright thanks.
You realise quickly enough that you can't take care of everybody and a little focus on yourself is healthy.
It depends on the reasons why some people are nice, if it's to attract people then they've destined for disappointed because it doesn't really work that way. Also there's a difference between self interested niceness (saviour complex) and just trying to polite and caring, but maybe that's just me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending