The Student Room Group

bad-ish predicted grades

hi, just recently got my predicted grades, ABB, planning to apply for english lit and language which requires AAA. with a good statement, reference, entrance test result and interview, do i still have a chance?
Original post by ethan_17
hi, just recently got my predicted grades, ABB, planning to apply for english lit and language which requires AAA. with a good statement, reference, entrance test result and interview, do i still have a chance?

What unis were you looking at in particular? I think a good personal statement and reference will definitely help as they look at your application as a whole as there's no harm done to apply to AAA unis although make sure you have a range of choices that you can fall back on. They usually recommend applying to unis only 1 grade higher so that would be AAB for you although you can either try and negotiate predicted grades up to AAB or take a risk and hopes it pays off.
Reply 2
Original post by firegirl555
What unis were you looking at in particular? I think a good personal statement and reference will definitely help as they look at your application as a whole as there's no harm done to apply to AAA unis although make sure you have a range of choices that you can fall back on. They usually recommend applying to unis only 1 grade higher so that would be AAB for you although you can either try and negotiate predicted grades up to AAB or take a risk and hopes it pays off.

I'm looking at oxford as my first choice, and then sheffield, brunel, aberdeen and leicester as fallbacks
I'm looking at oxford as my first choice, and then sheffield, brunel, aberdeen and leicester as fallbacks

Alright, I am pretty confident that you will get all 4 of those offers and although Oxford is a big aim, all you can aim to do is do as well as possible in the ELAT and work on your personal statement. Your gcses will also help your application.

Have you looked at Royal Holloway, Queen Marys, Liverpool and Nottingham? I believe you can afford to aim a bit higher with the remaining unis you've put down. Liverpool and Queen Marys are ABB so you meet the requirements

If you're not even predicted the standard offer for English then it is very unlikely you will be considered. What were your AS results? The Oxford tutors need to be confident that you can meet the offer and if your own teachers aren't confident then warning bells will go off.

EDIT: just had a stalk of your previous posts and seen your GCSE grades. It's not looking good I'm afraid. Your best bet would be to apply post A level if you end up with AAA.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending