The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thefreakoffreaks
Honestly, I feel exactly the same way. I simply cannot connect with the muslim community, they are too close minded and ignorant.

Can I ask why you feel anger towards God?

I feel anger toward God for creating me gay and having such an ignorant ummah on so many levels. This ummah is a mess.

Some people say being gay is a test, which does not make sense to me. If it is a test why are there no rules outlined for gays in Islam.
The idea of someone being gay has been mentioned even once in Islam except that sodomy is a sin.
Original post by Faisalshamallakh
If you don't mind me asking what area you live in?

And why do you think it's difficult to connect?

I'm obviously not gonna tell you where i live. But i can't connect because i don't have the same mindset as them. They're just really hostile and close minded about some issues. They just make Islam seem difficult when it should be really easy to follow. Eg, this sheikh stated that honeymoon is haram because it goes back to idol worshipping?? No logic.

I rarely listen to a sheihk's advice, especially about women related lool. They need to stay in their lane when it comes to women issues.
I'm obviously not gonna tell you where i live. But i can't connect because i don't have the same mindset as them. They're just really hostile and close minded about some issues. They just make Islam seem difficult when it should be really easy to follow. Eg, this sheikh stated that honeymoon is haram because it goes back to idol worshipping?? No logic.

I rarely listen to a sheihk's advice, especially about women related lool. They need to stay in their lane when it comes to women issues.

LOL
Original post by Anonymous
I feel anger toward God for creating me gay and having such an ignorant ummah on so many levels. This ummah is a mess.

Some people say being gay is a test, which does not make sense to me. If it is a test why are there no rules outlined for gays in Islam.
The idea of someone being gay has been mentioned even once in Islam except that sodomy is a sin.

When you think about that, does it make you doubt whether Islam is really true, even a little? As you say, there are logical inconsistancies in all religions. That's why a lot of people grow up and reject them. It isn't because they get all angry and sad like on tv, they apply critical thinking, and realise it just doesn't make much sense. It isn't rationality, it's tradition.
The Muslim LGBT are not celibate. They will probably encourage me to live a gay lifestyle. I have planned to seek help for my depression.

There is no gay lifestyle and whether you are celibate or not has absolutely nothing to do with sexual orientation. Nevertheless a celibate should be something you do out of your free will, not out of self-hatred. (I don't know, whether you looked around a lot, but there are Muslim LGBT websites, which mainly give you a way, to tell your family and be still accepted, e.g. by providing convincing sources, that being gay alone is not a problem at all, even for conservatives. Nothing about promoting a "gay lifestyle", whatever you think that is.)

LMAO wuuuuut? Yeah some Muslims follow the weirdest of **** loool

I've never found a correlation between Islam and closed mindedness. There seems to be a correlation between the actually country one's from however?

Such as Pakistani Muslims would be much stricter than Arab Muslims. And Arab Muslims would be stricter than European Muslims. This is because of cultural differences, not religious ones.

Sheikhs are really bad when it comes to women issues. Islam provides equal rights to both Men and Women however somehow the Sheikhs find a way around that? But I guess that dates back to cultural reasons where women were treated as inferior all over the globe.

Listen, ignore what people say. Being gay is not a test. It is not a sin. God made you this way and have no doubt, God never makes mistake.

You are valid. Your Islam is valid.

You should read this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Homosexuality-Islam-Critical-Reflection-Transgender/dp/1851687017
(edited 8 years ago)
Salam OP,

Just wanted to say a few words.
Sorry for what you're going through, hang in there!

You said you don't like your mosque.
Maybe you could try and change the mind set of the Muslims there?

Speak to the imaam privately, and ask him to give khutbahs about the topic homosexualiy.
If he's someone who's approachable, tell him about your situation and help him write stuff for the khutbah.
If he's not, tell him 'your friend' is going through a tough time with his sexuality, and you would like to advise him somehow but you don't know how. Then tell the imaam to do a khutbah advising the other Muslims in the mosque, on how to be there for someone (like their friends or family member) who is struggling with their sexuality.

If worse comes to comes, can you change mosques? Hopefully the others aren't too far away.

You can try and email immams as well to explain your situation.

Good luck!
Original post by Evangelion
You should change that and move away to live a free life away from your backwards community that believe that rubbish you just outlined. Problem solved.

'Muslims' are not simply a community.

Btw being gay is mentioned in the Quran. In 24:31 Allah states that he created men who have no desire for women and women do not have to cover infront of these men. This has been interpreted to mean gay men.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Starvation13
LMAO wuuuuut? Yeah some Muslims follow the weirdest of **** loool

Lool. true and they actually believe him. Anyone with a bit of intelligence would realise it's complete bullsh*t and just on the level of stupidity
Btw being gay is mentioned in the Quran. In 24:31 Allah states that he created men who have no desire for women and women do not have to cover infront of these men. This has been interpreted to mean gay men.

This does not say anything.

Major scholars like Bilal Phillips, Mufti Menk, and Dr Zaik call us mentally ill people.
Allah does not care about us. I feel like he hates us as well
Salam / Hi

First of all I am NOT an ex-Muslim. I am a Muslim. I pray 5 times a day or read the Quran. So I am not an atheist or anything.

However, I have so many problems in life. My parents wont understand. I really need help in explaining my parents that I am GAY. ( I am a male by btw). I dont want to to mosque. I hate the people there. Some of them think that people are gay because they had sex with animals.

Secondly I have a sense of inferiority in me because of my sexual orientation. On every Friday the Imam gives a lecture about how men need to lower the gaze and that Islam has built a beautiful barrier etc. However I can not relate. I really want to distance myself from the mosque and community and live a celibate life where there is only me and Allah and no Imam or scholar.

I dont need to go to Friday prayer due to school, however I there are classes each Tuesday in my mosque in the evening with fellow boys. And they teach us about Islam etc. But because they are only boys they often talk about things we should not do.

I feel so lonely and depressed. I really wanna run away from my problems.

I am angry at Allah, my parents, myself, the community.

I dont know how to tell my parents. They will probably hate me.

Pls advice !!!!

Salam/ Hey
well... all i can say is that, Islam firstly doesn't allow homosexuality!!!
u saying that u pray and u recite the Quran too which is great so u should know what things are allowed and not allowed in Islam

also i have seen that u said that "ur parents might disown u for something u born with"???
"Of course I have tried to say no. They then ask why, and I can tell them why or they might disown me for something I was born with.
Secondly I think if I dont go mosque or attend Friday prayer, I feel Allah will understand my situation and therefore, will NOT punish me"
i didnt get the fact tht how can u be born with homosexuality, it's might be ur choice to have attractiveness with the same sex.
i am pretty much sure tht ur parents will b angry if u tell the reason n if i were u i would never ever be able to share such this kinda thing with my parents...
so all i am saying tht u cannot b in islam religion if u choose to be homosexual coz even some Christianity doesnt allow homosexual e.g. catholics (learnt it in GCSE's).
it would be harder for you to leave ur parents and adjust urself in ur own way as u might b not old enough to take mature decisions or can do work that pays well (dunno about ur educational background)
so i dunno what u really can do... u might realise tht even if u left ur parents Allah gonna b angry
so decision is urs mate
Original post by Faisalshamallakh
I've never found a correlation between Islam and closed mindedness. There seems to be a correlation between the actually country one's from however?

Such as Pakistani Muslims would be much stricter than Arab Muslims. And Arab Muslims would be stricter than European Muslims. This is because of cultural differences, not religious ones.

Sheikhs are really bad when it comes to women issues. Islam provides equal rights to both Men and Women however somehow the Sheikhs find a way around that? But I guess that dates back to cultural reasons where women were treated as inferior all over the globe.

They are completely dreadful when it comes to women issues. They are also sexist and completely misogynistic. Honestly, it makes me so angry. This is the reason why we need more female scholars
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by fatima1998
Salam/ Hey
u saying that u pray and u recite the Quran too which is great so u should know what things are allowed and not allowed in Islam

also i have seen that u said that "ur parents might disown u for something u born with"???
"Of course I have tried to say no. They then ask why, and I can tell them why or they might disown me for something I was born with.
Secondly I think if I dont go mosque or attend Friday prayer, I feel Allah will understand my situation and therefore, will NOT punish me"
i didnt get the fact tht how can u be born with homosexuality, it's might be ur choice to have attractiveness with the same sex.
i am pretty much sure tht ur parents will b angry if u tell the reason n if i were u i would never ever be able to share such this kinda thing with my parents...
so all i am saying tht u cannot b in islam religion if u choose to be homosexual coz even some Christianity doesnt allow homosexual e.g. catholics (learnt it in GCSE's).
it would be harder for you to leave ur parents and adjust urself in ur own way as u might b not old enough to take mature decisions or can do work that pays well (dunno about ur educational background)
so i dunno what u really can do... u might realise tht even if u left ur parents Allah gonna b angry
so decision is urs mate

perfect example why i dont want to go to mosque.
Allah is on my side and on the side of the ignorant people/
Reply 76
Salam/ Hey

so decision is urs mate

Are you sure you went to school?
You can not even spell? I mean come on , acting like she knows everything !
(edited 8 years ago)
Lool. true and they actually believe him. Anyone with a bit of intelligence would realise it's complete bullsh*t and just on the level of stupidity

Yeah i hate this blind faith in sheikhs lol. People thinking they should follow them more than the Qur'an and Hadith
The Muslim LGBT are not celibate. They will probably encourage me to live a gay lifestyle. I have planned to seek help for my depression.

The problem is that you are following a religion that tells you that you're worthless because of your sexual orientation and that it's something to be ashamed about. Your depression is due to the fact that you cannot express yourself properly because you follow Islam. Suppressing your feelings and living a celibate life will only hurt you in the long run and you will never be happy. You need to consider whether it's more important for you to live a happy and fulfilling life as a gay person, or follow Islam and be depressed.
Reply 79
Original post by quentinhamilton
Pardon? :lol: Absurd logic.

Speak for yourself :colone:

Salam/ Heywell... all i can say is that, Islam firstly doesn't allow homosexuality!!!u saying that u pray and u recite the Quran too which is great so u should know what things are allowed and not allowed in Islamalso i have seen that u said that "ur parents might disown u for something u born with"???"Of course I have tried to say no. They then ask why, and I can tell them why or they might disown me for something I was born with.Secondly I think if I dont go mosque or attend Friday prayer, I feel Allah will understand my situation and therefore, will NOT punish me"i didnt get the fact tht how can u be born with homosexuality, it's might be ur choice to have attractiveness with the same sex.i am pretty much sure tht ur parents will b angry if u tell the reason n if i were u i would never ever be able to share such this kinda thing with my parents...so all i am saying tht u cannot b in islam religion if u choose to be homosexual coz even some Christianity doesnt allow homosexual e.g. catholics (learnt it in GCSE's).it would be harder for you to leave ur parents and adjust urself in ur own way as u might b not old enough to take mature decisions or can do work that pays well (dunno about ur educational background)so i dunno what u really can do... u might realise tht even if u left ur parents Allah gonna b angryso decision is urs mate

That was the most horrific thing I've ever read and you should feel bad. How can you type that ****, asking him to lie to his parents about who he is. He is a homosexual and no matter what religion he believes in there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, and to say its a choice is just ignorance. Perhaps you should educate yourself on homosexuality before you go spouting your ****, thanks.

OP, embrace who you are, you have nothing to be ashamed of and if your parents disown you, it truly is their loss.
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending