The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

PGdip Nursing 2016

Anyone who will be on this course this coming Feb 2016?

Scroll to see replies

Me:smile: Which branch will you be doing? Have you found a place to stay yet?
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Original post by RosaPeligrosa
Me:smile: Which branch will you be doing? Have you found a place to stay yet?

Im doing adult branch. I am locale here in southampton.
Have you heard from the uni yet? I just had the status of my application changed to unconditional offer on UCAS, but no word from the uni yet. So excited :smile: And to be honest - a tiny bit frightened as well.
Have you heard from the uni yet? I just had the status of my application changed to unconditional offer on UCAS, but no word from the uni yet. So excited :smile: And to be honest - a tiny bit frightened as well.

I emailed them the other week regarding the DBS and start date. They said DBS will be this october and the start date will be the 15th of Feb next year. There will be a joining information that will be sent this October through email.

Yeah my application was changed to unconditional offer as well although subject still to non-academic conditions i.e DBS, occupational health etc.
Reply 5
Hello both of you, I have also got an unconditional offer for this course. I am so excited and really pleased to have some contact with fellow students 😀
Original post by ClaireP76
Hello both of you, I have also got an unconditional offer for this course. I am so excited and really pleased to have some contact with fellow students 😀

Hey Claire, congratulations & lovely to meet you! :smile:

Which branch will you be doing? Are you from Southampton? I suppose all branches will be having some core courses together right? Does any of you know how placements work?

Hi Clare! Welcome to this thread. I am pleased too to hear other students who will start the course Feb next year. :smile:
Reply 8
I have my interview for this course on 28th October and am hoping to do paediatric nursing! How did you find the maths and english tests on the day? I'm really worried about the maths and am struggling to find practice papers!
Kat
Reply 9
Hey Claire, congratulations & lovely to meet you! :smile:

Which branch will you be doing? Are you from Southampton? I suppose all branches will be having some core courses together right? Does any of you know how placements work?

I'm doing adult nursing. I live about 40 minutes away from the uni so I'll be commuting every day. I don't know much about the placements but I know they said we can be based anywhere in the whole of hampshire! Have either of you started your bursary application yet?
I'm doing adult nursing. I live about 40 minutes away from the uni so I'll be commuting every day. I don't know much about the placements but I know they said we can be based anywhere in the whole of hampshire! Have either of you started your bursary application yet?

That's what I was meaning to ask you - what do we have to do to apply for a bursary? I haven't received any news from the Uni yet - should I write and ask what's going on? - and so I basically have no idea what I'm supposed to do next. Any suggestions?
Does anyone know what the deadline for this course is?
That's what I was meaning to ask you - what do we have to do to apply for a bursary? I haven't received any news from the Uni yet - should I write and ask what's going on? - and so I basically have no idea what I'm supposed to do next. Any suggestions?

Did you get your email telling you everything you need to do in preparation for next Feb?
Did you get your email telling you everything you need to do in preparation for next Feb?

Yes, I did. BTW, do you know anything about how placements work - do you think we can expect a 9-5 placement schedule or 24 hr rotations, night shifts etc?
Yes, I did. BTW, do you know anything about how placements work - do you think we can expect a 9-5 placement schedule or 24 hr rotations, night shifts etc?

Placement shifts will depend on the unit ur working. Normally your assigned mentor will give you shifts. Either you have the same work pattern with your mentor as you will be working with him/her side by side or a buddy will be assigned to you. Shift patterns normally on 24hr rotational shifts from long days, short shifts (early or late) and nights. If you have your placement in Southampton General Hospital long day is from 7:30-20:00, early from 7:30-15:30, late from 12:00-20:00, night from 19:30-0800. Shifts vary depending on the unit you are but those I have given are standard shifts in General Hospital.
Reply 15
Hey! I'm hoping to get on the pgdip adult nursing course in Feb. I have my selection day today.. Quite nervous! Any helpful tips? And is the numeracy and written test hard? X
Original post by Claivar
Hey! I'm hoping to get on the pgdip adult nursing course in Feb. I have my selection day today.. Quite nervous! Any helpful tips? And is the numeracy and written test hard? X

Hello there! Numeracy basically is basic math. Addition, subtraction etc., ration and proportion. Basic drug calculations and fluid balance. It took me ages to finish the numeracy part and was not able to finish it coz i have to do the written part. Just dont spend too much time on one test. What i did with the numeracy was i skip the hard ones and longer to calculate and just did the easier ones. if you have the discussion/group part, they will pick a topic u will discuss and talk about. If you have care experience u will be fine. Best of luck!
Reply 17
Original post by franciskikoleo
Hello there! Numeracy basically is basic math. Addition, subtraction etc., ration and proportion. Basic drug calculations and fluid balance. It took me ages to finish the numeracy part and was not able to finish it coz i have to do the written part. Just dont spend too much time on one test. What i did with the numeracy was i skip the hard ones and longer to calculate and just did the easier ones. if you have the discussion/group part, they will pick a topic u will discuss and talk about. If you have care experience u will be fine. Best of luck!

Amazing thank you so much!
Original post by hollyshorten
Does anyone know what the deadline for this course is?

I spoke to someone in the Admissions department last week and she advised me to get it in by the end of November (which they'd also said to me on the Open Day) as she said they are doing another shortlist for interviews in early December. But she was saying it more so to give myself the best chance of getting in on the next round of interviews so that I will know whether I'll be taken on in Feb, rather than that being an official deadline. She was lovely actually.

Having said that, by the time my UCAS reference had completed her part, it was the 1/2 December that I actually submitted.

That's the difficult thing about the February intakes, there doesn't seem to be much guidance on official entry deadlines!
So what are all your initial degrees in?

I'm completely new to the Healthcare scene, having done my first degree in Languages (French & German) but I've been working as a HCA in both a hospital and the community for a while now...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending