The Student Room Group

GSA/ECA Applicants for 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by whydocowsfall
I just sent my Edinburgh portfolio off! How are other people doing on that? ^-^

Sent mine off yesterday, though want to add another drawing so I'm trying to see if I can finish it in time. Just hope they're not against digital art or anything because that's what I'm good. It's also the main focus of my portfolio. : (
Original post by charl0tte_lol
So not ready lmao, I'll predict maybe 3 in the morning mine will get sent (doesn't help that i'm ill, why me life :frown:)

Ahh I'm ill too! I've got a cold and I'm also allergic to my final piece for my art coursework, haha. Good luck getting yours in (:
Original post by Mxgneto
Sent mine off yesterday, though want to add another drawing so I'm trying to see if I can finish it in time. Just hope they're not against digital art or anything because that's what I'm good. It's also the main focus of my portfolio. : (

Oh gosh, I have some digital art in mine too, I'm hoping they'll like it X)
Reply 63
Original post by adams1997
the anxiety is real

Honestly I'm so nervous, get so scared when my phone buzzes 😂😂
Reply 64
Oh gosh, I have some digital art in mine too, I'm hoping they'll like it X)

I'm applying for Fashion and put some photoshop stuff in mine so I hope we're okay!
Reply 65
Original post by Mxgneto

I sent mine off on Monday night in the wee hours, and I'm glad I did because on deadline day the mini portfolio site crashed and was having issues so they extended the deadline by 30 minutes. The panic on twitter was real.

Just curious, what subject did you apply to? I think it depends, if you were sending off digital work for something like fine art, that might be an issue, I could see them turning their noses up at that. I added quite a few digital pieces as well, but I applied for Illustration so I think digital will fit in much better.
Reply 66
Original post by Drew1404
I sent mine off on Monday night in the wee hours, and I'm glad I did because on deadline day the mini portfolio site crashed and was having issues so they extended the deadline by 30 minutes. The panic on twitter was real.

Just curious, what subject did you apply to? I think it depends, if you were sending off digital work for something like fine art, that might be an issue, I could see them turning their noses up at that. I added quite a few digital pieces as well, but I applied for Illustration so I think digital will fit in much better.

I've applied to illustration too! Digital art/character design happens to be my strong point, so a lot of it is drawn on my computer haha. And yeah, I sent mine off at around 5 in the morning on Monday. I kept changing things until I was content with it.

This is making me really curious about everyone's work and styles now though.
Reply 67
Original post by Mxgneto
I've applied to illustration too! Digital art/character design happens to be my strong point, so a lot of it is drawn on my computer haha. And yeah, I sent mine off at around 5 in the morning on Monday. I kept changing things until I was content with it.

This is making me really curious about everyone's work and styles now though.

Ah cool, I've applied to 2nd year though. I think it's important to at least show drawing ability in your sketchbooks as well, just to keep a good balance with your digital work. I know in the illustration video on the course page the director really stresses about draughtmanship. Ha, I was worried that they would be able to see that i submitted at 2am on the Monday and that might go against me, maybe it's not so bad after all!

To be honest I am a little bit apprehensive about the digital stuff, it is a grey area really. But digital art is a huge part of the industry now and I'd like to believe that the tutors/assessors are moving with the times.

That's the scary part isn't it, you have nothing to compare yourself to. You just have to be confident in your own work.
Reply 68
Ah cool, I've applied to 2nd year though. I think it's important to at least show drawing ability in your sketchbooks as well, just to keep a good balance with your digital work. I know in the illustration video on the course page the director really stresses about draughtmanship. Ha, I was worried that they would be able to see that i submitted at 2am on the Monday and that might go against me, maybe it's not so bad after all!

To be honest I am a little bit apprehensive about the digital stuff, it is a grey area really. But digital art is a huge part of the industry now and I'd like to believe that the tutors/assessors are moving with the times.

That's the scary part isn't it, you have nothing to compare yourself to. You just have to be confident in your own work.

Oh yeah, I've applied to first year. Was tempted to go for foundation, but sorta went 'nah' after I was told there would be no point. And I've got a mix in there-- Er. There's quite a bit of pencil work and a few life drawings in the portfolio I sent off, along with some stuff in pen and charcoal. ( As in I completely filled up the sketchbook part. I had so much I wanted to show, it's almost a shame there's no interview for us. )

I mean digital work isn't everyone's cup of tea and I completely understand why. I just sorta found myself enjoying it more? It's really pushed me when it comes to art. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they'll appreciate it.

Hmm. You're right about that. :/
Original post by katy52
Original post by Rachel007
I did an interview yesterday. But I'm an international graduate applicant.

Oh cool- how was it?

Mine was kinda serious, they asked me to talk about my portfolio from the first project to the last one. All the people I've asked (including bachelor/master, different majors) said their interview was chill and the questions were quite general (ie, why this major/uni, what did you learn in uni, career plan etc)
Reply 70
Original post by Mxgneto
Oh yeah, I've applied to first year. Was tempted to go for foundation, but sorta went 'nah' after I was told there would be no point. And I've got a mix in there-- Er. There's quite a bit of pencil work and a few life drawings in the portfolio I sent off, along with some stuff in pen and charcoal. ( As in I completely filled up the sketchbook part. I had so much I wanted to show, it's almost a shame there's no interview for us. )

I mean digital work isn't everyone's cup of tea and I completely understand why. I just sorta found myself enjoying it more? It's really pushed me when it comes to art. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they'll appreciate it.

Hmm. You're right about that. :/

Yeah, and apparently they don't consider you for other years either if they feel you'd be better suited. So there's that. From what I've been reading it's really difficult to get in. That's good! Sounds like you have a good mix to me. My development was full aswell, I just didn't have as much resolved pieces.

The thing with digital is it's just another medium. Most of the time you're starting out with a blank page, just like paper. I feel like this is what people can miss, they think there is some magic button that creates good art.
Yeah, and apparently they don't consider you for other years either if they feel you'd be better suited. So there's that. From what I've been reading it's really difficult to get in. That's good! Sounds like you have a good mix to me. My development was full aswell, I just didn't have as much resolved pieces.

The thing with digital is it's just another medium. Most of the time you're starting out with a blank page, just like paper. I feel like this is what people can miss, they think there is some magic button that creates good art.

What do you mean about them not considering you for other years?

And I applied for Illustration too! ^-^ I'm really hoping to get in but yeah, it looks hard. Only 15 people first year... ): I went to an open day and I think the course director is way more comfortable with traditional art (he didn't seem to understand any questions about digital things or large scale projects) but he seemed to like the idea of it and I think he'd be impressed seeing it in portfolios. I got the impression that he wouldn't be the one teaching digital art though, haha...
Reply 72
It's any day we could hear now, so annoying waiting! There seems to be a lot of you going for illustration, sounds good.
Reply 73

And I applied for Illustration too! ^-^ I'm really hoping to get in but yeah, it looks hard. Only 15 people first year... ): I went to an open day and I think the course director is way more comfortable with traditional art (he didn't seem to understand any questions about digital things or large scale projects) but he seemed to like the idea of it and I think he'd be impressed seeing it in portfolios. I got the impression that he wouldn't be the one teaching digital art though, haha...

I read in another thread somewhere that it's never happened and very unlikely they'd consider you for another year. For instance if you applied to 2nd year and they thought you would be better suited to first year, yeah it wouldn't happen.

What!? 15 people for first year!? Oh my god. Do you know about 2nd year? That's ridiculous, and if you're looking at what 500+ applicants, and that's like minmum I'm guessing, then man that is hard. I'm glad he seemed open to the idea. Some of my favourite illustrators use digital quite a lot. As long they don't turn their noses up at it then that's fine.

@Nysm1501 I know, the wait is killing me. But I know last year people didn't hear back to like the end of March :/
Original post by Nysm1501
It's any day we could hear now, so annoying waiting! There seems to be a lot of you going for illustration, sounds good.

Ahh, I know! It would be great if they offered soon so I can stop worrying about applying to foundation years, haha
I read in another thread somewhere that it's never happened and very unlikely they'd consider you for another year. For instance if you applied to 2nd year and they thought you would be better suited to first year, yeah it wouldn't happen.

What!? 15 people for first year!? Oh my god. Do you know about 2nd year? That's ridiculous, and if you're looking at what 500+ applicants, and that's like minimum I'm guessing, then man that is hard. I'm glad he seemed open to the idea. Some of my favourite illustrators use digital quite a lot. As long they don't turn their noses up at it then that's fine.

@Nysm1501 I know, the wait is killing me. But I know last year people didn't hear back to like the end of March :/

I can't find where I made my notes but I know it varies from year to year and is usually somewhere around 15 first year and then less in 2nd year - but don't worry too much! It sounds terrifying but apparently they actually get less applicants than bigger places like Brighton, so your chances of getting in are pretty much the same.

It's better if you don't think about the odds...
Reply 76
I can't find where I made my notes but I know it varies from year to year and is usually somewhere around 15 first year and then less in 2nd year - but don't worry too much! It sounds terrifying but apparently they actually get less applicants than bigger places like Brighton, so your chances of getting in are pretty much the same.

It's better if you don't think about the odds...

Less than 15? I think I'm going to cry...

But really, now I'm even more apprehensive about the digital stuff, but hey you never know, might help me stand out? Exploring mediums n that...

Oh well, I gave it my best. If it's not what they were looking for then I can't complain with limited spaces. Unfortunately this is the only course I applied for so I kind of put all my eggs in one basket, haha.
Reply 77

W oah, wait. Only 15? Are you sure about that? I thought it would be a bit more than that.
Less than 15? I think I'm going to cry...

Original post by Mxgneto
W oah, wait. Only 15? Are you sure about that? I thought it would be a bit more than that.

You guys didn't know about how few people get in? D: Nah it's definitely low, I remember when I first heard I thought I was going to faint and had to check they hadn't said 50... But yeah, it's a really small course. Super cosy though! So sort of makes it even more appealing to me. :')
Reply 79
You guys didn't know about how few people get in? D: Nah it's definitely low, I remember when I first heard I thought I was going to faint and had to check they hadn't said 50... But yeah, it's a really small course. Super cosy though! So sort of makes it even more appealing to me. :':wink:

I had absolutely no idea! Honestly, I thought it would be around 50 or so because Bournemouth uni take on a good amount themselves.

But oh dear, now I'm really worried. I've sorta set my heart on Edinburgh. : /

Quick Reply

Latest