The Student Room Group

Lse 2016/2017

Since I haven't been able to find an LSE 2016/2017 thread, I thought I might as well :smile: And if I've just overseen it then let me know!

I'm applying for EU Politics and either Social Policy (European and Comparative Social Policy) or Philosophy & Public Policy. Anyone else applying or know anything which might help with picking between the latter two?

I'd also be curious about how you handled/are handling the statement of purpose when applying for two courses... one which addresses both, or two separate (shorter?) ones, or something in between?

Scroll to see replies

I might also apply for Social Policy (European and Comparative Social Policy) as my second option. First option is Gender, Inequalities and Policy.
Original post by thebfg
Since I haven't been able to find an LSE 2016/2017 thread, I thought I might as well :smile: And if I've just overseen it then let me know!

I'm applying for EU Politics and either Social Policy (European and Comparative Social Policy) or Philosophy & Public Policy. Anyone else applying or know anything which might help with picking between the latter two?

I'd also be curious about how you handled/are handling the statement of purpose when applying for two courses... one which addresses both, or two separate (shorter?) ones, or something in between?

Applied for two courses - MSc Economics and Management as well as the MSc Management, Organisations and Governance. Submitted only one statement of purpose when applying for the two courses, primarily detailing my interests in the fields of Economics and Management, and how I am really interested in the MSc Economics and Management, but also included an extra paragraph towards the end on why the other course appeals to me as well. :smile: Hope it helps and good luck!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Applied to MSc Politics and Communication! Just patiently waiting for my references to be submitted.
Reply 4
Hi guys!

I'm applying for:
MSc Political Economy of Late Development
MSc Social Policy and Development

I think I will submit two different personal statements, one for each program to highlight why that particular program will help me. Generally, the rest of my statement is the same but just different details here and there. Anyone else applying to the programs I am? :frown: So nervous!! I have been planning on applying to LSE forever!
Reply 5
Is there a set application fee regardless of what you are applying for?
I'm applying to the MSc European Studies (Research) but now I'm thinking their EU Politics course might be more suited for me...in any case I haven't actually started my application *panics* here's hoping they care more about transcripts than personal statements lol
Hey everyone! Theres a group set up for all LSE applicants on FB and I thought I’d share it with you all! Here’s the link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/946217312086459
Reply 8
Looks like I am bit late on the whole application process as I just started my personal statement.
Applying for MSc Politics and Communication and Human Rights as the second option. Been also wondering on the way to write the personal statement since both of my options are not that similar one to another. However, I think I will stay with the one statement idea as to make it easier for the admissions team.
For everyone wondering about personal when applying to two courses, what the website says is that either your two courses are pretty similar and then you just make your statement relevant to both courses OR if the courses are very different, submit two statements in the same document with clear headings (e.g. Personal Statement I 'Course Name' Personal Statement II 'Course 2 name')
How is everyone structuring their personal statement? I was thinking something like 1. academic background/how I came to be interested in the topics of the course/relevant experience 2. main research interest and rambling about what I'd like to research and 3. why I have to study it at LSE?
Dreambyday, yes. Im doing opening (like an attention grabber, my interest for the course, academic background, professional experience and then tie it all together in a conclusion. I am applying for a Tought masters so no research there :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by DreamByDay
How is everyone structuring their personal statement? I was thinking something like 1. academic background/how I came to be interested in the topics of the course/relevant experience 2. main research interest and rambling about what I'd like to research and 3. why I have to study it at LSE?

Yeah I did exactly that! Basically introduction (how I came to be interested), academic history, relevant experience, main research interest, and finish with why LSE (who in the department/which modules fit into my research interest).

Also I'm doing taught, but I have a main research interest still.
Original post by michill
Yeah I did exactly that! Basically introduction (how I came to be interested), academic history, relevant experience, main research interest, and finish with why LSE (who in the department/which modules fit into my research interest).

Also I'm doing taught, but I have a main research interest still.

Same - well, I'm applying to the research and taught versions of their MSc European Studies so :P I haven't named anyone in my statement, just said because of my research interest, I'd like to obviously work with experts from European Institute but also social policy department, gender institute etc. and then I named a few modules also....aaaah stress! I am finding it pretty hard to find the balance between talking about how I'm cool/how my research interest is cool/ how LSE is cool haha.

On another note - anyone applying to UCL as well? I am thinking of applying to the European Public Policy masters but worried it's not an ideal foundation for further research since it seems a bit "executive"-oriented...
Original post by aipoissac
Dreambyday, yes. Im doing opening (like an attention grabber, my interest for the course, academic background, professional experience and then tie it all together in a conclusion. I am applying for a Tought masters so no research there :smile:

Thanks for your reply! I'm applying for the taught and research version of basically the same course (I think) so my "research interest" part is more like, what I want to learn more about throughout the course.

Regarding the attention-grabber you mentioned, a professor who is mentoring me of sorts told me to not go for something personal/grandiose because it would make British people recoil in fear (I'm French and we're pretty expressive lol) so I went for something super boring e.g. "I am currently a student at X and upon graduating I aim to study at LSE because blah." Do you think it's a good idea or...?
Thanks for your reply! I'm applying for the taught and research version of basically the same course (I think) so my "research interest" part is more like, what I want to learn more about throughout the course.

Regarding the attention-grabber you mentioned, a professor who is mentoring me of sorts told me to not go for something personal/grandiose because it would make British people recoil in fear (I'm French and we're pretty expressive lol) so I went for something super boring e.g. "I am currently a student at X and upon graduating I aim to study at LSE because blah." Do you think it's a good idea or...?

I see, when you said research interest I thought you mean like a well planned research proposal for the course. I of course include my interest in the course and what I want to learn from it as well. I also included the module that I would hypothetically really want to study due to the Professors research interests in the subject I am most interested in.
I am not British either so I don't know how much personality or standard application they want in their personal statements. I didn't really do anything major, just included a backstory of why I am interested in this particular course over any other, however I might be wrong? I've been told to make the first sentences stand out, because the team reads hundreds of these. But then again, I'm studying in an American university and they are into this kind of "grandiose".P.S. Are you applying to Science Po, DreamByDay?

On another note - anyone applying to UCL as well? I am thinking of applying to the European Public Policy masters but worried it's not an ideal foundation for further research since it seems a bit "executive"-oriented...

Yes, I am actually applying to at least 6 universities because I am the sort of person that always stresses of not being accepted so I want to have many backups. Im applying to LSE, UCL(International Public Policy), KCL, University of Edinburgh, Science Po and Graduate Institute in Geneva.
What do you mean by executive oriented?
I see, when you said research interest I thought you mean like a well planned research proposal for the course. I of course include my interest in the course and what I want to learn from it as well. I also included the module that I would hypothetically really want to study due to the Professors research interests in the subject I am most interested in.
I am not British either so I don't know how much personality or standard application they want in their personal statements. I didn't really do anything major, just included a backstory of why I am interested in this particular course over any other, however I might be wrong? I've been told to make the first sentences stand out, because the team reads hundreds of these. But then again, I'm studying in an American university and they are into this kind of "grandiose".P.S. Are you applying to Science Po, DreamByDay?

Yes, I am actually applying to at least 6 universities because I am the sort of person that always stresses of not being accepted so I want to have many backups. Im applying to LSE, UCL(International Public Policy), KCL, University of Edinburgh, Science Po and Graduate Institute in Geneva.
What do you mean by executive oriented?

Re: personal statement - ah, I see. Like you, I also outlined my main interest and the related modules I'd study. In my original draft I had also started with an anecdote (how during my first politics tutorial I was the only one to hold up my hand when the tutor asked "who feels like they are a European citizen" and it was awkward but eye-opening). But then my professor told me I should play it safe because they want to get to know me as a professional, not my personality. At least that's what she said about my Oxford statement (she used to teach there)...at the same time my personal statement is now less eye-catching so I am still undecided. So I think your mileage may really vary.

Re: other applications - I'm applying to UCL as well, to Oxford (although probably wasting my time) and also to the double degree between LSE and SciencePo (European Affairs). I'm also applying to my current university, University College Dublin which is less prestigious but has amazing professors that I'd love to work with as well.

Also - My parents live in Geneva with the rest of my family and most of my high school friends go to the University of Geneva though, so if you are not from there and have any questions about the city, etc, I'm very happy to try and help :smile:
Re: personal statement - ah, I see. Like you, I also outlined my main interest and the related modules I'd study. In my original draft I had also started with an anecdote (how during my first politics tutorial I was the only one to hold up my hand when the tutor asked "who feels like they are a European citizen" and it was awkward but eye-opening). But then my professor told me I should play it safe because they want to get to know me as a professional, not my personality. At least that's what she said about my Oxford statement (she used to teach there)...at the same time my personal statement is now less eye-catching so I am still undecided. So I think your mileage may really vary.

Re: other applications - I'm applying to UCL as well, to Oxford (although probably wasting my time) and also to the double degree between LSE and SciencePo (European Affairs). I'm also applying to my current university, University College Dublin which is less prestigious but has amazing professors that I'd love to work with as well.

Also - My parents live in Geneva with the rest of my family and most of my high school friends go to the University of Geneva though, so if you are not from there and have any questions about the city, etc, I'm very happy to try and help :smile:

That makes sense to me too. This is what I hate about personal statements ( I mean I hate everything about them actually), that is kind of a gamble. I don't want to sound like I'm not serious, but at the same time don't want them to fall asleep while reading the statement. Maybe someone already studying at LSE will eventually join the discussion and can give a more personal experience.
All of the people I have discussed my personal statement have done their studies at universities here in US, so maybe I shouldn't really take their opinion that seriously.

Thank you, I will definitely have some questions once and if I get admitted. But first .. need to finish the application haha!

If I may ask, which one of the programs are you the most excited for? I see that you applied to Oxford (Good luck btw), but have you thought about which one you will chose between LSE and Oxford if admitted at both?
Btw guys, how long are your personal statements? I know that the requirement is between 1000-1500 words, but I've heard that the admissions teams don't like to read anything above 1200 unless there is an extreme amount of great things to include?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending