The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

A*A*A* in Bio Chem and Maths, A at AS Further Maths. 685 Band 3. 7A*s and 4 A's. Gap Year Student. Work Experience at Hospital, GP Surgery, Pharmacy, Tanzanian Hospital. I don't have any experience in a caring environment but I will be Starting on the October 20th. I tutor GCSE Student and Coach Martial Arts

Where should I apply? I'm thinking of Two london unis and two others.

Do I have chance since i don't have experience in a care home?

Currently I am thinking of Kings, Queen Mary, Manchester, Nottingham? What do people think? I feel like i should replace one with St. Georges? if so which one?
Original post by mj14097
A*A*A* in Bio Chem and Maths, A at AS Further Maths. 685 Band 3. 7A*s and 4 A's. Gap Year Student. Work Experience at Hospital, GP Surgery, Pharmacy, Tanzanian Hospital. I don't have any experience in a caring environment but I will be Starting on the October 20th. I tutor GCSE Student and Coach Martial Arts

Where should I apply? I'm thinking of Two london unis and two others.

Do I have chance since i don't have experience in a care home?

Currently I am thinking of Kings, Queen Mary, Manchester, Nottingham? What do people think? I feel like i should replace one with St. Georges? if so which one?

Don't apply anywhere that puts a huge amount of emphasis on work experience in my opinion because you have no volunteer work in a caring environment (ie. Keele? IIRC). Cardiff's GCSE cutoff was greater than or equal to 7A*s last year but they might increase it so it could be a bit risky. I heard leeds give a lot of advantage to people who've already completed their a levels. Your UCAS+UKCAT combo would probably get you an interview at Barts. I wouldn't apply to Manchester, Newcastle, Durham, KCl because their UKCAT cutoff tends to be very, very high. Other than those you still have plenty of options
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Docjones1
Don't apply anywhere that puts a huge amount of emphasis on work experience in my opinion because you have no volunteer work in a caring environment (ie. Keele? IIRC). Cardiff's GCSE cutoff was greater than or equal to 7A*s last year but they might increase it so it could be a bit risky. I heard leeds give a lot of advantage to people who've already completed their a levels. Your UCAS+UKCAT combo would probably get you an interview at Barts. I wouldn't apply to Manchester, Newcastle, Durham, KCl because their UKCAT cutoff tends to be very, very high. Other than those you still have plenty of options

I hope Manchester's cutoff isn't too high, I'm applying there with 672 :\
Original post by madga
Hi, I'm also an EU applicant. Can I ask you where are you applying? I'm quite worried that some unis can decline my application only because I'm not British :/ .

Hey Magda, I am applying as a graduate

Manchester (check out because I have to apply to the 6 year course for being spanish.... ), Cambridge, Imperial and Warwick.

DM if you want
Does anyone know if there is a stalking thread set up for this year for medicine so we can see who else is applying to the unis we are? :smile:
Original post by Docjones1
What are your a level predicted grades, do you have any music qualifications to grade 8?

my predicted grades are A*AA and no music qualifications
Original post by ilovecake123
my predicted grades are A*AA and no music qualifications

Yours would be predicted to be 140 (A*) + 2x 120 (A) + Whatever you got at AS if you did a subject and dropped it (60 for A, 50 for B, 40 for C and so forth). So your predicted A levels give 380+whatever you got at AS
which unis do you think i stand a good chance for 6th decile UKCAT and 2.1 prediction? i have a lot of volunteering and work experience!
Hey guys, starting to stress out a bit but would 2770 total give me a competent chance of getting into Queens Marys and KCL?????
I got 2,990 in my UKCAT (747.5 average) and I'm applying from Scotland. I've got 4 As at Advanced Higher and 6 at higher. Debating whether to risk a BMAT uni like Imperial (it's just so expensive in London too)? I'm applying to Oxford for Human Sciences and definitely Glasgow, Bristol and Newcastle.

Where else d'you think I should apply?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by sophie0106
which unis do you think i stand a good chance for 6th decile UKCAT and 2.1 prediction? i have a lot of volunteering and work experience!

Definitely try Bristol, they don't look at UKCAT at all and are really PS heavy. Plus Aberdeen for example consider it but not massively - they say their lowest score a successful applicant was 1750, so you'd have a strong chance :smile:
Original post by jeahongshin
Hey guys, starting to stress out a bit but would 2770 total give me a competent chance of getting into Queens Marys and KCL?????

It depends on your UCAS tariff for Barts and I think you should be fine for KCL :smile:
Original post by setarcos
It depends on your UCAS tariff for Barts and I think you should be fine for KCL :smile:

Hey, you think a 2760 would be fine for KCL?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys, any graduates out there able to help? I'm looking for a bit of advice as I'm well and truly stuck!

I'm thinking of choosing Barts and Warwick but then can't decide on my last two out of Newcastle, Southampton and Kings (all 4 year). My UKCAT is 737.5 average. I really liked Newcastle so will probably apply there even though they have a very high UKCAT requirement so it's really between Kings and Southampton but I'm scared that my UKCAT might just be on the edge of high enough/not enough.

I did the GAMSAT this year but pretty sure it went badly. I'm too scared to apply to GAMSAT Unis not knowing what that score is. I have a 1st class MSci in Natural Sciences. I would apply to Birmingham but got rejected after interview there last year so am not eligible to reapply.

Any words of wisdom would be very much appreciated.
Original post by MickyVee
Hi guys, any graduates out there able to help? I'm looking for a bit of advice as I'm well and truly stuck!

I'm thinking of choosing Barts and Warwick but then can't decide on my last two out of Newcastle, Southampton and Kings (all 4 year). My UKCAT is 737.5 average. I really liked Newcastle so will probably apply there even though they have a very high UKCAT requirement so it's really between Kings and Southampton but I'm scared that my UKCAT might just be on the edge of high enough/not enough.

I did the GAMSAT this year but pretty sure it went badly. I'm too scared to apply to GAMSAT Unis not knowing what that score is. I have a 1st class MSci in Natural Sciences. I would apply to Birmingham but got rejected after interview there last year so am not eligible to reapply.

Bristol? Although the 4-year course competition ratio is insane. Could you consider any 5-year courses?
Original post by ah639
Bristol? Although the 4-year course competition ratio is insane. Could you consider any 5-year courses?

I tried Bristol last year 😔 apparently I didn't do the right modules for them and there's no way I can afford 5 year. But thanks for the suggestions :smile:

Hey there. Just replying as we've got identical UKCAT scores and I'm also pretty sure my GAMSAT went badly! Though I'm limited on GEM options because of my arts degree and personal geography limitations.

So I've applied for George's (GAMSAT doubts notwithstanding) and Southampton for GEM and King's and Bart's for 5 year. From trawling the various info/rumours on previous years I think your (our!) UKCAT should be okay for both King's and Southampton. It's 100 points into the 10th decile after all. I would totally be applying for King's GEM if they hadn't changed it to science grads only since last year -grrrr!

Not sure that's helpful - but good luck!

by the way, if you're not on it already there are lots of grads hanging out on this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2799491&page=143&highlight=graduate%20entry%20medicine%202016&p=59919533#post59919533
Original post by rosalita
Hey there. Just replying as we've got identical UKCAT scores and I'm also pretty sure my GAMSAT went badly! Though I'm limited on GEM options because of my arts degree and personal geography limitations.

So I've applied for George's (GAMSAT doubts notwithstanding) and Southampton for GEM and King's and Bart's for 5 year. From trawling the various info/rumours on previous years I think your (our!) UKCAT should be okay for both King's and Southampton. It's 100 points into the 10th decile after all. I would totally be applying for King's GEM if they hadn't changed it to science grads only since last year -grrrr!

Not sure that's helpful - but good luck!

Thanks for your reply! Yeah that GAMSAT was nasty!! But it's one of those exams where sometimes if it feels terrible you get a great mark - that kept happening to me on practice papers but I'm pretty sure the exam felt worse than all the practice papers!

I suppose I just need to decide where I'd rather live for 4 + years. From the rumours it seems Kings might be easier to get into than Southampton due to the change to science grads only but then others say Kings is more competitive than Southampton argh!!

Thanks for that link, I am on that thread but my post got lost in a sea of other posts at the same time so it went unnoticed.

Good luck to you too, fingers crossed our UKCAT is high enough :smile:
Hi all,

Just wanted to double check the UKCAT confirmation. When you enter your choices and UCAS personal ID, there is no confirmation as to whether it is complete via email right? Because I'm not too sure if I have done it right (bit nervous).

It appears to just save this information, which can be accessed again in the Additional Information section! Am I doing something wrong or does the information only get sent off all together for every UCKAT candidate after the 16th Oct deadline?

Also, with the UCAS personal ID it changed after I sent off the UCAS application and got a confirmation from UCAS, do I use the new one or the original one that was supplied when I signed up initially?

Any help or advice would be appreciated!

Teki

Latest