The Student Room Group

* MEGATHREAD * - UKCAT 2016 Entry Discussion Megathread MKII

Poll

What score did you get on the UKCAT

Just making the next thread as the previous one was full - please let me know who you'd like the thread owner to be and I will change this over!

MKI thread is here!

Hello all!

This is the thread for all UKCAT-related discussion for medical school applications for the coming application year applying for 2016 entry. Please try and keep all discussion within this thread.

Please note the vast majority of simple queries can be answered on the UKCAT website www.ukcat.ac.uk or by having a quick read of their handbook here.

Frequently Asked Questions about the UKCAT

When should I sit the UKCAT?
A. Some important dates:
Registration opens:1 May 2015 (bursary applications processed from this date)
Testing begins: 1 July 2015
Registration deadline: 20 September 2015 (bursary and exemption application deadline also this date)
Last testing date: 04 Oct 2015
UCAS application deadline: 15 October 2015

The exact date you sit the test is up to you, some people prefer to get it out of the way early so they know their score and can decide on where to apply from there. Others would rather wait until after they have their AS level results. Bear in mind that the price does go up at the start of September.

Q: How much does it cost?
A. July-August: £65 for those taking the test in the EU, £100 for other candidates
September-October: £80 for those taking the test in the EU, £100 for other candidates.
The price is the same regardless of whether you are taking the standard UKCAT or UKCATSEN.

Q: Do we need to put that we've done our UKCAT/or our score on UCAS?
A:There's no need. UKCAT will send your scores off to the universities you're applying to that need it.

Q: Do we get a calculator?
A:Yes. A simple on-screen calculator will be made available to you to assist you in the quantitative reasoning section. To access this you will need to click on the icon in the top left hand side of your screen. THIS HAS CHANGED FROM 2010 TEST. The calculator should look similar to this:

Q: Do we have anything to write on?
A: Yes. You will be given a double sided whiteboard with a special pen to write with. There is usually no eraser available so taking some tissues with you might be useful.

Q: When should we arrive at the test centre?
A: You should arrive at least fifteen minutes before the exam to go through the formalities and prove your identity.

Q: What should we bring to the test centre?
A: You should bring to the test centre a printout of the email that you were sent confirming your test registration as well as photographic identification (see the list on the UKCAT website).

Q: What is the average score?
A: The average score for each subtest is 600. Most candidates will score between 500-700. If your score isn't as good as you would like, it's not the end of the road. Some advice can be found in this thread

Q: Can we discuss the questions in the UKCAT once we've sat it?
A: No. You will sign something declaring that you agree not to.

Q: If I do badly can I take it again?
A: Nope, unfortunately not. You can only take the UKCAT once for each UCAS cycle so if you don't do as well as you'd have liked, you'll need to think carefully about where you are going to apply to.

Q: What book should I buy to practice from?
A: Various books have been recommended in the past:
Passing the UK Clinical Aptitude Test (UKCAT) and BMAT 2009, Taylor, Hutton and Hutton, Learning Matters Ltd, ISBN 1844452840
Get into Medical School - 600 UKCAT Practice Questions. Includes Full Mock Exam, comprehensive tips, techniques and explanations, Olivier Picard, Laetitia Tighlit, Sami Tighlit, and David Phillips, ISC Medical, ISBN 1905812094
How to Pass the UKCAT: Unbeatable Practice for Success in the 2009 United Kingdom Clinical Aptitude Test, Mike Byron and Jim Clayden, Kogan Page Ltd., ISBN 0749453338

Q: How is it marked?
A: Raw scores are converted to scale scores that share a common range from 300 to 900. A total scale score is generated by summing individual scale scores of the four cognitive sections. The total scale score ranges from 1200 to 3600.

The SJT is graded in bands, Band 1 being the highest band, Band 4 the lowest.

All information has been taken from the official UKCAT site: http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/

GOOD LUCK!!
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Dylan_20
Ukcat In 2 hours... This just got real

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, best of luck. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck mate!!!
How was your prep?
Reply 3
Original post by Tanishqa
Hey, best of luck. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks ! This is more nerve wrecking than my Biochemistry degree finals

Posted from TSR Mobile
for people who are taking the ukcat at the later dates, whats ur plans for the remaining week?
Reply 5
Original post by Danny786
Good luck mate!!!
How was your prep?

So so! Best one was Medify hard? 710 average, got 34/44 in VR lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
So so! Best one was Medify hard? 710 average, got 34/44 in VR lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

thats great. you tried official tests from their website.

any tips for qr?
Reply 7
thats great. you tried official tests from their website.

any tips for qr?

Year mock A QR was horrendous, averages 600 odd. Mock b was a lot better averaged near 700 I think, Mock C was very easy I thought got into 700s (ESP DA got 800 odd)

QR tips,,, avoid complex questions, don't spend any more than 40 sec on Q if it feels like it's taking too long skip and move

Posted from TSR Mobile
Year mock A QR was horrendous, averages 600 odd. Mock b was a lot better averaged near 700 I think, Mock C was very easy I thought got into 700s (ESP DA got 800 odd)

QR tips,,, avoid complex questions, don't spend any more than 40 sec on Q if it feels like it's taking too long skip and move

Posted from TSR Mobile

Does it not tell you your score?
Reply 9

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yours is the same time as mine, omg so scared

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Any tips for QR? It's my weakest section atm

It's probably my weakest too, just flag guess and skip the really hard ones and leave them to the end

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JulietR
Yours is the same time as mine, omg so scared

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm heading to center now!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
I'm heading to center now!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Best of luck guys. I'll be doing mine this time tomorrow
Reply 15
Original post by windnamer27
Anyone want a Kaplan account?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes!
Original post by windnamer27
Anyone want a Kaplan account?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease. That would be really kind. Pllllllllllllleeeeease.
Got my test tomorrow!:redface: any last minute tips?:-)
Reply 18
Original post by AminzYolo
Has anybody rescheduled their exam to a later date? Im thinking of getting mine shifted from 3rd october to 5th, but i dont want there to be any problems etc on the day!
Thanks

Hey where is your test centre, I want to move mine to 3rd

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do we need to know how to work out area of a circle using diameter
e.g. 0.25 x 3.14 x diamter squared
anyone got a run down of the shapes stuff required for qr

Latest