The Student Room Group

What are my chances with the following unis?

I am hoping to study English at one of the following unis :

Manchester (AAA)
UCL (AAA)
KCL (AAA)
Leeds (AAB on the basis of an A in EPQ)

i have 4a*s, 6as and 3 bs at GCSE
AAAAC at AS
I took Computing AS level in Year 10 and got a B
I have extra curricular as in I write for online publications and I have many in school roles, one which requires me to edit the newspaper

What are my chances?
thanks
Original post by firegirl555

Manchester (AAA)
UCL (AAA)
KCL (AAA)

AAAAC at AS
I have extra curricular as in I write for online publications and I have many in school roles, one which requires me to edit the newspaper

What are my chances?
thanks

Looks realistic to me. 4 As at AS level and those unis are not the elite ones who care about gcses much. Should be fine, just my opinion though. You are set for getting As at A2. Go for it!

Edit - oh and maybe find out from your teachers what your predicted grades are? That might help.
Reply 2
Original post by Sparster
Looks realistic to me. 4 As at AS level and those unis are not the elite ones who care about gcses much. Should be fine, just my opinion though. You are set for getting As at A2. Go for it!

Edit - oh and maybe find out from your teachers what your predicted grades are? That might help.

oh sorry, I should have mentioned - I am predicted A*AA

Manchester (AAA)
UCL (AAA)
KCL (AAA)

AAAAC at AS

What are my chances?
thanks

Manchester 100%
Kings 100%
Leeds 100%
UCL 100%
oh sorry, I should have mentioned - I am predicted A*AA

Then you are set! Were any of those As high As out of interest? Good job though.

Manchester (AAA)
UCL (AAA)
KCL (AAA)

AAAAC at AS

What are my chances?
thanks

Those are all massively competitive universities for a massively competitive course. Your grades are fine, but so will most other applicants' grades be. Make sure you have some backups included, about 3 of them. Here's my sticky on applying for English.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2012563&p=37765516#post37765516
Reply 6
You have absolutely no chance.
Such a terrible academic record, you should have known you were terrible and saved your self from this embarrassment.
Reply 7
Original post by seizetoday
Manchester 100%
Kings 100%
Leeds 100%
UCL 100%

hahah, wow thanks if you're being serious
Reply 8
Original post by Sparster
Then you are set! Were any of those As high As out of interest? Good job though.

Thank you! English was full marks and over 90% for RS and 85 ish % for history
Reply 9
Original post by Windies
You have absolutely no chance.
Such a terrible academic record, you should have known you were terrible and saved your self from this embarrassment.

trust me, I'm reeling at the thought
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Those are all massively competitive universities for a massively competitive course. Your grades are fine, but so will most other applicants' grades be. Make sure you have some backups included, about 3 of them. Here's my sticky on applying for English.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2012563&p=37765516#post37765516

ooh thanks, I'll have a look!

Manchester (AAA)
UCL (AAA)
KCL (AAA)

AAAAC at AS

What are my chances?
thanks

Your chances are fine, UCL interview it's really competetive. KCL isn't anything special for English, but they like to act like they are... Other two are fine too :smile: A strong PS and you'll be fine! :smile: consider applying for Durham or Cambridge you may as well.
Original post by Big Blue Machine
Your chances are fine, UCL interview it's really competetive. KCL isn't anything special for English, but they like to act like they are... Other two are fine too :smile: A strong PS and you'll be fine! :smile: consider applying for Durham or Cambridge you may as well.

ooh thanks, Yes i was looking at Durham but deemed as too competitive, also one of my teachers advised me to apply to Oxford because of the strength placed on the ELAt but i think my chances are limited
ooh thanks, Yes i was looking at Durham but deemed as too competitive, also one of my teachers advised me to apply to Oxford because of the strength placed on the ELAt but i think my chances are limited

Okay! Oxford for ELAT and GCSEs, Cambridge for UMS!

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest