The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by lyrical_lie
Sometimes I hate living in London!

Move?

85% of the UK population doesn't live in London.
Reply 2
Original post by Quady
Move?

And hence, we couldn't care less when stories like this come up. You know what I do when I read this? Laugh. Laugh my home-owning backside off.
Reply 3
Original post by Drewski
And hence, we couldn't care less when stories like this come up. You know what I do when I read this? Laugh. Laugh my home-owning backside off.

It is a joke, my mortgage is £19/month more than this, and thats only because its on a 20 year rather than 25 year term.
Reply 4
Original post by Quady
It is a joke, my mortgage is £19/month more than this, and thats only because its on a 20 year rather than 25 year term.

Mine's £100/month less. And I get a whole house less than 3 miles from Manchester city centre.
It's a complete joke. London as a city is becoming unlivable. I mean, at least other expensive cities in the world, e.g. Singapore, Sydney, Zurich, Berlin, have good travel systems, good public services and other perks that make the rent prices seem reasonable. TFL is **** and always has delays, public services are underfunded and cannot function at the current capacity. This is ridiculous.
Reply 6
LOL. Why are people surprised?

London was and always has been intended for the well off and rich.

It is the capital.

It was never intended for just anyone to live there.

It is also the capital and center of one of the wealthiest economies in the world. It's a global capital suffice to say.

The same goes for New York, Tokyo, Berlin, Beijing.. etc. They are the major capitals and economic cities of the world and they are also expensive to live in in their own countries.

It has always been the status quo that capital cities are expensive to live in. I've never known it to not be the case.

In recent times such as the last decade or so, pretty much anyone could live in london if they wanted to. Because rent was affordable and the price of living wasn't that high.

But 10 years ago, the UK wasn't in the midst of getting out of a recession, there wasn't austerity about and we didn't have a humongous deficit to pay off.

Times have changed. Nothing is the way it was a decade ago. We have a deficit to clear and changes are happening. Thus London is changing.

You'll be shocked to see how many people are actually happy about the fact that London is becoming for the wealthy again.

To put it simply, London will soon be just for the well off and elite again
And to be completely honest, I'm not actually sad or bothered about the whole thing. London really isn't the only place one has to live in within the UK :rolleyes:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Quady
Move?

Sadly that's where my job is which I love lol. In a few years time once I've got experience I'll bugger back off to Scotland :h:
Original post by Drewski

One day I'll join you in laughing :smile:

One day :moon:
Original post by Namandi
LOL. Why are people surprised?

London was and always has been intended for the well off and rich.

It is the capital.

It was never intended for just anyone to live there.

It is also the capital and center of one of the wealthiest economies in the world. It's a global capital suffice to say.

The same goes for New York, Tokyo, Berlin, Beijing.. etc. They are the major capitals and economic cities of the world and they are also expensive to live in in their own countries.

It has always been the status quo that capital cities are expensive to live in. I've never known it to not be the case.

In recent times such as the last decade or so, pretty much anyone could live in london if they wanted to. Because rent was affordable and the price of living wasn't that high.

But 10 years ago, the UK wasn't in the midst of getting out of a recession, there wasn't austerity about and we didn't have a humongous deficit to pay off.

Times have changed. Nothing is the way it was a decade ago. We have a deficit to clear and changes are happening. Thus London is changing.

You'll be shocked to see how many people are actually happy about the fact that London is becoming for the wealthy again.

To put it simply, London will soon be just for the well off and elite again
And to be completely honest, I'm not actually sad or bothered about the whole thing. London really isn't the only place one has to live in within the UK :rolleyes:

I think what my issue is not that it's expensive, I've grown used to that, I think it's the fact it was literally a cupboard that was offered as a room :smile:
The prices in London are ridiculous. I live in a capital city, not in the UK, and the prices are fine in relation to the wages. I can live in a capital city and still have a decent standard of living. If you're outlook is London-centric and you refuse to look at the bigger picture and do your research then of course you're going to get penalised or caught out for doing so. London has a lot to offer if you have a lot of money, otherwise it is just a rat race and constant struggle. I would not sacrifice being able to go out a lot and enjoy my life in the now to live in London. Not a chance on Earth.
Build on the green belt inside the m25 it's not rocket science

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Apparently this was just a PR stunt. Although the fact that it was still believable says rather a lot about London's housing market…
Reply 13
And people will happily piss money away and put up with a lower quality of life just to live in London.

It'll be interesting to see what life-long renters do when they have to retire.
(edited 8 years ago)
Immigration is at 400,000 per year. Many want to go to London. This is inevitable and will only get worse.
Plenty more cities about. I find it hilarious personally. Keep it going up i say!!

Vote tory!
Original post by paul514
Build on the green belt inside the m25 it's not rocket science

Posted from TSR Mobile

Greedy old people want to protect their house prices
Cities such as Oxford and Cambridge are going the same way, due to so many London workers commuting from them. I wouldn't want to live in London again (I only lasted 4 months!), but some people don't have a choice. If your work and family are there, where can you go?
Reply 18
Original post by Swindle
And people will happily piss money away and put up with a lower quality of life just to live in London.

It'll be interesting to see what life-long renters do when they have to retire.

You make it sound like life long renters dont retire already...
lol once I graduate from uni and get a decent salary I'm up and out

I've had my fair share of this city (18 years :unimpressed:)